↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 2002 TD5 Double Cab, now a project..........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kiter25

Scotland 
2002 TD5 Double Cab, now a project..........
Hindsight is a great thing....... I bought this double cab recently, on a galvy chassis and lots of work done to it, had just been mot'd too with not a single advisory. So far so good.

Click image to enlarge

Drove it 400 miles home all seemed fine except when it got dark, lights had a mind of their own and I was blinding fellow motorists as the bumper drl's were staying on all the time. Windscreen wash didn't work either so regular stops to wipe the screen. No idea how it passed an mot as the windscreen wiper hose was un connected, curled up under the heater box.

Knew I wanted to upgrade the sound system which was non existent. Started poking about and taking the dash apart and started to notice lots more daylight than there should be - bulkhead had loads of rust holes, kinda like a string vest in places.

Car now looks like this

Click image to enlarge

New bulkhead on order from ultra bulkheads ( after a false start with an Irish supplier who shall not be mentioned). This is really going to test my mechanic skills but luckily I don't need to use it so no time pressure on me. Been very methodical labelled everything and bagging screws and fittings so hopefully will go back together.

What started off as a wee upgrade project is now major works and have decided that while it is so stripped down lots of other jobs will get done just cause the access is easy. Hopefully next post will see it going back together. 23my p400e x dynamic hse, fuji white, towing pack, comfort and convenience, e diff, activity key, 3 zone climate, cold climate and a host of accessories. Now gone.
Post #984208 2nd Mar 2023 5:42pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Looks nice! There is always something to find, though to add from the photos it looks like the front windows are tinted too dark to be legal, worth checking before being pulled! Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #984210 2nd Mar 2023 5:55pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Also not illegal or anything, but evidence of being not all that original is the bonnet hump on what looks to be a Td5. I find that the best cars are the totally original ones. People can spend a fortune on upgrades, but makes the car not always better, in fact often it does not.

Also I would budget for a new radiator.
Post #984212 2nd Mar 2023 6:05pm
Kiter25

Scotland 
Yeah I'm not fussed on the puma bonnet hump, may get changed and yes new radiator and allisport intercooler going in along with new silicone hoses.

The dark front windows were the first thing to go couldn't see f*ck all at night, quite dangerous so not surprised they are illegal.

Hopefully be a good truck once I'm done, least I will not its right, lots of short cuts in evidence........ 23my p400e x dynamic hse, fuji white, towing pack, comfort and convenience, e diff, activity key, 3 zone climate, cold climate and a host of accessories. Now gone.
Post #984216 2nd Mar 2023 6:31pm
marsie

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
That was one I shortlisted when I was looking a few weeks ago Shocked

Has it had a new chassis or the original galvanised? 2000 90 TD5,galv chassis, d2 axles ,Bas remap , alisport intercooler , d2 transfer box , side windows-more to come-much more!! *GONE*
2004 110 TD5 Double cab. *GONE*
2010 110 2.4 XS station wagon
Post #984219 2nd Mar 2023 6:53pm
Kiter25

Scotland 
Lucky escape mate, totally my own fault should have been much more thorough and yeah it was the original stripped and galvanised. It will hopefully be a good truck once its done and I will know it inside out. Luckily punting my defender l663 for a profit is funding all this extra work. 23my p400e x dynamic hse, fuji white, towing pack, comfort and convenience, e diff, activity key, 3 zone climate, cold climate and a host of accessories. Now gone.
Post #984220 2nd Mar 2023 7:20pm
marsie

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter I am sure it will be fine eventually. If you get stuck with anything on the bulkhead give me a shout, I have fitted around 250 bulkheads (and over 600 chassis) in the last 15 years and we have just started producing our own bulkheads. I have still got your car saved on my watch list on ebay Laughing . I ended up buying a 96k mile 2010 puma station wagon last week instead (but even that wasn't without its faults Rolling Eyes )

Just beware on the chassis if its an original that has been galved. For some reason when second hand chassis are galved they rot badly (I have changed several now that were original chassis that had been dipped and rotted out within a couple of years)

Must be something to do with old metal being galved as well as being impossible to clean out properly internally

Not trying to scare you but galved used chassis should be considered the same as painted and treated internally and externally with a preservative of some sort
Paul Thumbs Up 2000 90 TD5,galv chassis, d2 axles ,Bas remap , alisport intercooler , d2 transfer box , side windows-more to come-much more!! *GONE*
Post #984222 2nd Mar 2023 7:32pm
Kiter25

Scotland 
Appreciate that, this is really going to test me....... yeah I'm planning a bit of preventative treatment once this is done 23my p400e x dynamic hse, fuji white, towing pack, comfort and convenience, e diff, activity key, 3 zone climate, cold climate and a host of accessories. Now gone.
Post #984224 2nd Mar 2023 8:02pm
marsie

Nice one, you will be fine. Unfortunately with bulkheads its a case of the last bit off is the first bit on. I usually order these new parts when doing bulkhead swaps-

wiper boxes/cable
Windscreen to bulkhead seal
Vent seals
Front hinge bolts and captive nuts
Lower bulkhead to strainer sill bolt plates
Plastic square screw inserts x20
Floorboard screws and captives
Gaskets for screen to bulkhead hinge blocks
Some self adhesive gasket tape for trans tunnel and floor plates

Non are particularly expensive but can slow you down if you don't have them when you need them

Like I said, if you get stuck give me a shout Thumbs Up 2000 90 TD5,galv chassis, d2 axles ,Bas remap , alisport intercooler , d2 transfer box , side windows-more to come-much more!! *GONE*
Post #984225 2nd Mar 2023 8:20pm
Kiter25

Scotland 
Excellent thank you, really useful, hoping the bulkhead will arrive next week, mate is going to paint it for me and then I'll get going with the re build. 23my p400e x dynamic hse, fuji white, towing pack, comfort and convenience, e diff, activity key, 3 zone climate, cold climate and a host of accessories. Now gone.
Post #984230 2nd Mar 2023 8:54pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
before you paint it i would test fit it. that way if it doesn't make you happy and or fit 100% you can return it.

lots of places won't take a faulty one back if you paint it.

what was wrong with the 1st bulkhead you bought?
Post #984232 2nd Mar 2023 9:19pm
Kiter25

Scotland 
Yeah will have a test fit first. I was let down on delivery and after a bit more research their seemed lots of issues and l took cold feet and was able to cancel before it was despatched. Sales side was very efficient but went downhill rapidly after this.

Ultra were recommended by two companies that do defender renovations so will see what turns up. 23my p400e x dynamic hse, fuji white, towing pack, comfort and convenience, e diff, activity key, 3 zone climate, cold climate and a host of accessories. Now gone.
Post #984233 2nd Mar 2023 9:29pm
Kiter25

Scotland 
Bit of progress today, old bulkhead is off, happy days........ only needed the grinder for two fixings. New bulkhead due next week.

Click image to enlarge
 23my p400e x dynamic hse, fuji white, towing pack, comfort and convenience, e diff, activity key, 3 zone climate, cold climate and a host of accessories. Now gone.
Post #984964 9th Mar 2023 5:59pm
Enid_Puceflange

Scotland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Baltic Blue
Following with interest.
Looks very similar to mine Thumbs Up My confidence has been writing cheques that my abilities can't cash for years.
Post #985739 16th Mar 2023 11:13am
Kiter25

Scotland 
Work been a bit manic but finally making a bit of progress, bulkhead painted and fitted. Overall not been too bad so far. Taken a fair bit of work to get things to fit, alot of the holes didn't seem to be quite big enough and there was alot to sort surface wise before it got painted. First chap made a complete a*se of it so ended up going elsewhere and they made a far better job.

Taken time to replace lots of bits whilst apart and access was easy. Hopefully be a good but more progress this next few weeks.

Click image to enlarge
 23my p400e x dynamic hse, fuji white, towing pack, comfort and convenience, e diff, activity key, 3 zone climate, cold climate and a host of accessories. Now gone.
Post #995473 7th Jun 2023 5:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>