↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Baltic blue 110usw
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 15 <123 ... 131415>
Print this entire topic · 
Siwynne

England 
Yes replaced the original clamp as I broke it removing the engine the first time but it ran fine after the first and after the second set of big end bearings and hasn’t been touched since. Worst case scenario could be a broken piston ring and the engine will be out for the fourth time. I need to do a compression test next
Post #983031 19th Feb 2023 7:34pm
Siwynne

England 
A lesson in basics has been taught today. I’ve had a few things going on recently so have been driving her slk 300 while the Landy sat and I festered over not getting it right.
I decided to go back over the whole induction, recirculation and exhaust systems and check all bolts and gaskets. The gasket between the exhaust manifold and egr was not in the correct place and it was leaking at that point causing all sorts of pressure and therefore fuelling issues. All running sweet now and just a few shields and covers to put back on. I’ll wait until I get some daylight as it’s too cold and dark tonight. Thanks for the interest and suggestions.
Although the Merc is fast, quiet, smooth etc etc etc. I can’t wait to get back in the Landy as my daily.
Post #983919 27th Feb 2023 9:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That sounds like good news, indeed. Well done for persevering. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #983928 27th Feb 2023 10:50pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I hope the perseverance pays off this time. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #983934 28th Feb 2023 6:07am
Siwynne

England 
I’ve now got a few hundred miles on the rebuilt engine and am fairly confident it’s right this time. So what has the process taught me that might be useful to others

1 Get on with it the engine is very simple
2 get a good scanner. I borrowed a good topdon scanner and it was brilliant
3 if you open the engine up replace ALL replaceable parts. Crank, bearings, Conrods and pistons
4 don’t buy a no name rebuild kit. Only use a reinz or Elring gasket set. Both ends of the crank seals were paper thin in the rebuild kit I got so I bought reinz gaskets after the flywheel end tore on installation. There was a noticeable difference in quality of gasket and installation ring
5 remove the oil cooler before removing the engine one knock and it’s dead
6 replacing the small intercooler elbow under the throttle body is easy if the metal pipe is removed and then it is attached to the pipe, fed in and a squirt of gt85 used to assist onto the throttle body. Tighten the clamp with a 7mm socket uj and extension
7 clean the crankcase filter tube under no1 bearing
8 change oil pump every 50 - 60k. All this hassle would be avoided
9 replace turbo cartridge if it is high mileage the new one is performing much better. New one has two more vanes on impeller side and two more on compressor side. Boost is reading higher and rubbish manifold gaskets couldn’t take the added pressure and popped out.
10 clean intake manifold mine was very sooty/oily
11 blank egr. Its like Censored in a cup and drinking it when it’s not blanked

If I think of any more learnings I’ll drop em in here
Post #985667 15th Mar 2023 8:51pm
Siwynne

England 
I have now covered over 5000 miles since rebuilding the engine.
Happy to report all is good.
I have had it remapped this week with some other “adaptations” to the map and other things which mean I no longer need to use low saps oil.
Exhaust note has not changed but it is obviously flowing well as the intake burble is different.
Performance is better but fuel economy is miles better.
Post #995676 8th Jun 2023 11:13pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Thumbs Up Thats one thing I really wish to do. Is it easy to go back if needed? 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #995682 9th Jun 2023 5:38am
Siwynne

England 
Map is easy to reverse but exhaust mods are permanent. Physically removing the cat section for working on involves removing cross member, front prop shaft, moving the turbo and removing a small plate from top of the clutch pedal box to make more room.
Post #995684 9th Jun 2023 6:17am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Siwynne wrote:
I have now covered over 5000 miles since rebuilding the engine.
Happy to report all is good.
I have had it remapped this week with some other “adaptations” to the map and other things which mean I no longer need to use low saps oil.
Exhaust note has not changed but it is obviously flowing well as the intake burble is different.
Performance is better but fuel economy is miles better.

Sounded sweet as you cruised past me in Ormskirk recently Thumbs Up

I was sadly disguised in a eurobox.
Post #995695 9th Jun 2023 8:25am
Siwynne

England 
Recently noted that the centre silencer was looking crusty and have had a hankering for a straight pipe for a while. Purchased a cheap ish straight through centre section and 3 inch rear section from maltings 4x4. (Price good and delivery and communication spot on). I was a little worried that with other “alterations ” it would effectively have no silencer and be too loud. There is not even a burble, a woosh, a bark. Note has hardly changed. Weird as it is now just a pipe from turbo to rear of vehicle.
Post #1002893 3rd Aug 2023 5:13pm
Siwynne

England 
Quick update following a busy summer hols. I have covered 9000 miles since rebuilding the engine. Oil has been changed three times the last at 132000miles alongside fuel filter and gearbox oil. Small improvements have been made over the last eight months only leaving me with changing the convoluted air intake for a straight 102mm pipe left to complete. Towing is massively improved and a hill on a route I regularly take used to require a change down to 4th now breezes over in 6th.
Upcoming maintenance and changes will include a new turbo to manifold gasket, new turbo to exhaust gasket, egr cooler blank to compliment the egr blank and removal and reseat/ resell the egr pipe into the inlet manifold as I think it may be hissing slightly. I’m still running the old intercooler pipes and will only change them if they split which they inevitably will. I’ll carry a roll of self amalgamating tape in the meantime.
I’ve done some heavy towing, long days and fast motorway days over the last six weeks and it has performed really well. Overall happy with the results of my efforts last Christmas and would do it again if necessary
Post #1006218 1st Sep 2023 8:59pm
Siwynne

England 
Passed irs mot about a month ago. Oil leak was noted but I know about it and will reseal the timing chain cover in better weather. Also a rubber track rod boot was noted to be split I ordered and yesterday fitted four gwyn lewis polyurethane replacements with stainless clips. Once again the G L stuff is top quality.
Post #1022843 28th Jan 2024 8:18pm
Siwynne

England 
Rear pads changed today at 141k They were very low. I checked because I’ve got so very heavy towing to do in the next few weeks. A quick check showed that the top shock bush on the ns was shot. I have a set bought last time one went because the delivery was more that the bushes so I bought two sets. One job never exists on its own and always leads to one or two more.
Post #1023513 4th Feb 2024 9:44am
Siwynne

England 
The new pads I fitted to the rear squealed enough to wake the dead. I tried fitting the pads all ways so the anti squeal backing was at the leading, trailing edge and different ways and they still squealed. I cut some biscuit tin shims using scissors slathered the backs of the pads in copper slip and refitted them. Beautiful silence with no effect on performance. I’m gathering parts to do the discs such as seals stake nuts and gaskets.
Dash out at the weekend for new wiper spindles and motor. Not looking forward to that
Post #1027969 13th Mar 2024 8:52pm
Siwynne

England 

Click image to enlarge

Replaced wiper motor and spindles. What a difference. Job was long winded but fairly straight forward. As the dash was out I tidied the wiring and fixed the blower switch after failing to find a replacement. The tracks were dirty so a quick emery and clean with meths and I now have a heater blower again. I broke my ram mount bolt that went through the grab handle so will have to turn a new one this week.
Post #1028325 17th Mar 2024 9:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 15 <123 ... 131415>