↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Interior lights not turning off normally
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Will.I.AM

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Kaikoura Stone
Interior lights not turning off normally
Since buying my 130, the interior light has always had to be in the off position as it wont turn off. When i tried it originally it would turn off but then when i opened the drivers door it stayed on and wouldn't turn off again.

I have changed the door switches with no difference/change so wondering if there are any other common problems that it could be?
Post #984202 2nd Mar 2023 4:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Does the alarm work as you'd expect it to? I mean if you were to lock it with the window open does the alarm goes off if you were to reach in, unlock the door and open it?

The operation of the interior light is via its earth path. If you operate manually you create a route to earth on the black wire when you move the switch and then deny it the earth when you switch it off. The alarm control ECU controls the earth path when the interior light is allowed to be operated by the doors. It monitors the door switches and should illuminate when you unlock, keep the light on for a period after the door is closed and extinguish the light when you lock up.

I'd be inclined to take the light unit out, identify the cable that is linked to the ECU earthing path (pink with white tracer) and connect a multi meter to it. Attach the black wire from your multi meter to a known good earth and check to see if you have continuity all the time. Make sure that pink/white wire isn't chafed or pinched where it goes down the A pillar, there's not much room behind the plastic trim and it very easy to pinch a wire when screwing it all back together, assuming it's been off before..ask me how I know! Whistle

If you have a rear light check its wiring too as an earth fault there could also cause the same issue
Post #984206 2nd Mar 2023 5:11pm
Will.I.AM

thanks for the detaild reply! - i dont hae central locking but do have the impobaliser alrm - when i look the car it beeps the horn twice... thats why i was presuming it was the door switches - am i correct in that, that when the horn beeps twice the car thinks one door is open?
Post #984249 3rd Mar 2023 7:37am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Yes, that's right. Somehow, you've got a permanent route to earth and the switches or the wiring to them are the obvious starting place. There's also a bonnet switch, too, but I can't remember if that's connected to the interior lights. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #984254 3rd Mar 2023 8:11am
Will.I.AM

the vehicle was resprayed after being taken before i brought it by someone who to say the least bodged up a number of things so i will have a look out chaffed wires and see if i can see if thre is awire somewhere that has been damaged etc. thanks for your advice guys.
Post #984255 3rd Mar 2023 8:13am
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
As has been confirmed the double beep indicates the vehicle thinks a door is open, so the fault is unlikely to be in the A pillar loom. My next move would be to take out each door switch and connect one lead of a multimeter to the end of its wire and the other lead to a known good earth and check for continuity. If one of these door switch wires shows continuity then you’ve most likely found the wire that’s chafed and giving you the earth fault. The fun job is to then trace the wire and find it.
Post #984334 3rd Mar 2023 8:38pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Probably one of the switches, or wet in the interior light on its rear connections.
It’s common for having some issue with interior lighting on Defenders. They’re always playing up. Rolling Eyes Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #984335 3rd Mar 2023 8:39pm
Will.I.AM

Penfold_6290 wrote:
As has been confirmed the double beep indicates the vehicle thinks a door is open, so the fault is unlikely to be in the A pillar loom. My next move would be to take out each door switch and connect one lead of a multimeter to the end of its wire and the other lead to a known good earth and check for continuity. If one of these door switch wires shows continuity then you’ve most likely found the wire that’s chafed and giving you the earth fault. The fun job is to then trace the wire and find it.

Many thanks, will do this during one evening this week ad try find the fault. Again thanks.
Post #984555 6th Mar 2023 7:51am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
It would be an excellent idea to replace all of the door switches and their mounting screws as they corrode and either fail to work or work all the time.

Switch: AFU4241L

Screw: YYP100860

The problem of lights on all the time cold be the wiring loom, as Penfold said, however it could also be the switch itself. The spade terminal is sandwiched in place by two flimsy bits of plastic and it has been known for the terminal to work loose and touch the main contact ring of the switch: Lights on.

Good luck.
Post #984557 6th Mar 2023 8:12am
Doobsn

Germany 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Hello,

some ideas already given in this thread. I also had this issue and suspected the switches at the door(s). My way of finding out what is wrong:

- I removed all switches and isolated the cable ends (light should turn off)
- I took a Multimeter and the checked if any of the open wires are connected to ground/earth
- with my Defender it was located at the right hand side to have a permanent ground/earth connection

After some time, I remebered, that I installed handle bars at the A-pillar, where the cables are routed, and I screwed the cable to the chassis.

I was not able to lock the car from internal (I read you don't have central door locking), it opned right away.

Maybe a possible solution for your problem.

Kind Regards

Tobias
Post #984672 7th Mar 2023 9:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1