Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
fatduckling

Australia 
Ignition switch needs replacing
Hi

I have a 2012 Puma Defender 110.

I got it serviced today and the LR mechanic came back and said generally it's all good but it requires a new ignition switch.

I've noticed that when I put my key in the ignition, sometimes I have to wiggle it a bit to start the car, but I thought nothing of it as it's just a little inconvenient. I had the issue for like 2-3 years.

He quoted me $626 AUD (~$430 USD) to supply and fit a new ignition switch. He said if you don't fix it, you'll find yourself needing to get towed as you won't be able to turn on the car.

Just wondering if this is a reasonable quote to replace the ignition switch?

I can see from various websites sell ignition switches alone for about $50 AUD and switch+barrels for about $140
https://klrautomotive.com.au/ignition-barrel-defender/

But they say they use genuine parts and not cheap stuff which makes it expensive.

Thanks
Post #982779 17th Feb 2023 1:52pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I had to convert this to GBP to work out if it was expensive or not! At £385 including genuine parts (I'm assuming door lock barrels as well) I don't think he's far off, perhaps he's expecting the job to take longer as it can be an ordeal. I'd allow three hours to do the job properly. You have to drill out the antitheft bolts on the ignition barrel which means undressing the steering column. If he's doing 3 door lock barrels too that means all the door cards off and remove door handles and refit everything. I'd delicately ask what he's going to be doing for his $626 AUD just to make sure

It would be wise to have a new ignition barrel saddle piece at the ready because they rarely survive the process of the bolts being drilled out.

I did mine recently, it's a DIY job if you have a good centre punch, some sharp drills and are prepared to roll your sleeves up. Make sure you wear correct eye protection while hanging upside down drilling bolts out!
Post #982782 17th Feb 2023 2:40pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello fatduckling

Swapping out the Ignition Switch is (it would appear) not an uncommon requirement
as the OEM Lucus part is (I think) not of the best quality.

Usual story here in that when you suffer a problem and go on-line you'll find many who have been before you, I don't know if the price you have been quoted is reasonable, but if it is the Ignition Switch this will give you some idea of what's involved and maybe help to decide if you want to attempt this yourself...

My Fix...
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56773...p;start=45

Good Luck... Thumbs Up SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #982801 17th Feb 2023 5:23pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
You don't need to change locks to swap it out. It is a fiddly DIY job and plenty of threads on the forum how to do it.
Post #982828 17th Feb 2023 8:16pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Yeah and then replace those anti tamper bolts with something normal.
Post #982861 18th Feb 2023 7:03am
thr

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Cairns Blue
I have joined the failed ingition switch group. The many writeups on here were a great help.

My experience was the angle for tapping out the security screws with a punch and hammer in situ is really tricky. Getting at them with a grinder is also not great. In the end I went with a junior hacksaw through the washer on the clamp. There was minimal damage and I was able to swap out the switch and reuse everything else. I put normal bolts back in though as no doubt the barrel/lock/switch will need to be replaced at some point in the near future.
Post #984574 6th Mar 2023 12:58pm
landyman1

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
ignition switch
Another one with the failed-unreliable ignition switch.
2009 119 utility.
Took the cheap route and wired in a separate push button starter discreetly positioned on the side of the steering column. no plans to sell the vehicle so not an issue. cost £7.99 ! 1981 series 3 swb gone
1986 v8 110 station wagon current
2009 puma 110 xs utility station wagon latest addition
Post #989860 21st Apr 2023 10:09pm
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
As an experienced switch switcher (I’am on my fourth switch now 😉). I can say although fiddly you can do it yourself but buy the Lucas switch (and not a cheap knockoff). It takes around 1,5 hours. A workshop should be able do it much faster.

And you only need to change the switch and not the barrel. a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #989870 22nd Apr 2023 7:03am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Portafilter

Australia 
Re: ignition switch
landyman1 wrote:
Another one with the failed-unreliable ignition switch.
2009 119 utility.
Took the cheap route and wired in a separate push button starter discreetly positioned on the side of the steering column. no plans to sell the vehicle so not an issue. cost £7.99 !

hey landyman i was thinking of doing exactly this- can you tell me what wires are used off the old switch?
Post #991534 5th May 2023 2:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1