↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Early/later Td5 bulkheads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
The advantages of the later wiper system are that it removes the curve in the tube, reducing strain on the motor, but mainly that the later wheelboxes are much improved over the early ones. The arms are actually fixed to the spindles with nuts rather than relying on crappy clips and splined knobs.

It’s the same motor, though with a different gear (the ramp that operates the park switch is in a different place) as the wheel boxes are inverted and therefore the push and pull of the cable/rack is switched.
Post #979731 25th Jan 2023 1:47pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The extract from the Puma WSM below gives an indication of what changed for the wipers in 2002 (this is because the TD5 WSM was very poorly edited to become the Puma WSM, which accounts for a lot of the errors).

Note that this also explains something discussed not long ago on the forum, namely that from 2002 the wheelboxes were inverted.

Click image to enlarge
Post #979751 25th Jan 2023 4:23pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Very interesting indeed. Thanks very much! So the parts I am harvesting from the 1999 Td5 will not fit my 2003 Td5 (which I could actually easily confirm by looking at the wiper arms shafts, which are indeed different). Still these parts probably fit my 1972 Series 3 so still worth keeping in my land rover vault.

Ironically I had hoped to swap some parts since the wiper motor is very loud on the 2003, which in fact should be quieter. Mhh probably something wrong with the motor. Added to the list.
Post #979865 26th Jan 2023 2:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123