Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.2TDCi Defender Glowplug changing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
2.2TDCi Defender Glowplug changing
Hi All,

Last advisory when I had a broken turbo pipe was that I also needed to change the glow plugs on my defender.

How difficult is this on the 2.2TDCi. Having only changed spark plugs on petrol cars before and not being mechanically proficient but always willing to give it a go, is it something that can be done with a toolkit or is it easier and safer to get a garage to do it.

Couldn't find anything on youtube specific to defender 2.2 glowplug changes either which let me down and have done a search on here before posting.

Many thanks

Steve ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #581584 30th Nov 2016 11:53am
Defender Fun

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Hi
I know it’s been a long time since this post but I’m also still struggling to find an exact how to change the glow plugs?
I have a 2016 defender 2.2tdci and that needs them replacing.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks
Post #946621 22nd Mar 2022 4:29pm
landhank

Germany 
Changing glowplugs on that engine is an absolute nightmare. You have to remove the inlet manifold to get the glowplugs out. If youre on the way to remove the manifold its a good idea to change the „elbow“ pipe underneath. The EGR has to be removed, too. Both parts could have a proper clean by this way.

If all the mentioned things are done you are able to remove the glowplugs. On the last two engines i did 2 plugs were easy to remove. 1 plug was a bit tricky… and the plug on cylinder 4 took me about 3 hours to get it out.

Maybe somebody can report about more luck and a easier way…. But for me it was horrible.

If you still want to do the job by yourself, i could send you the instructions per pm.

Cheers
Post #946640 22nd Mar 2022 6:15pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Having changed an egr on a 2.2, and changed the inlet manifold elbow pipe I can confirm that both of those jobs are an absolute nightmare due to such restricted access to nuts, bolts, studs pipe clips and pipes etc.
If never done before and on the ground the former can take 4-5 hours and the latter circa 2 hours. So you can spend many hours before you even get to removing the inlet manifold and several hours removing the glow plugs that can be a real pig to get out, even when soaked in plusgas penetrating oil. This is compounded by the fact that ideally the engine should be hot to aid removing the glow plugs, but you can’t have it hot if you want to remove the EGR and there is a real risk in the plug breaking and getting stuck in the head.

So my advice would be to get a price for a good independent to do it, it will take them far less time, they will be familiar with the process and have the tools and experience to get the plugs out without any of them snapping.
Post #946646 22nd Mar 2022 6:48pm
Phil VM2.5

Belgium 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
good or bad idea ?
Hi,
Because this work is so difficult ...
I am sure my glow plug are death and the engine start easyli when temperature above 0 degre.
I did have last year difficulty to start the engine because the temperature was minus 8.

So why not cut the circuit when temperature are above 0 or 5 or 10 degre.

In my case, could be I need the glow plug 10 or 20 times each year and they will last 50 years.

What do you think ?

Philippe current : defender 110 sw 2.2 puma 2012 and 230.000km today and
again my Range Rover VM2.5 engine from 1992 and 528.000km today.

One ten 1988 to 1992
1987 BMW GS80
One Ten from 1984 to 1987
One Ten from 1983 to 1984
Serie 3 109 from 1980 to 1983
from 1974 Jeep CJ3B and CJ6
Post #969906 4th Nov 2022 6:27am
Racedriver

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
I took the easy option and got someone else to change my glow plugs!!!

It was about 3 hours for someone who knew what they were doing but this included a good clean of the inlet manifold and EGR which I would highly recommend as the parts are off anyway.

I had 2 glow plugs showing faults which caused me no starting problems but did mean that the DPF would not regenerate and hence would cause problems further down the line.
Post #970028 5th Nov 2022 12:45pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Re: good or bad idea ?
Phil VM2.5 wrote:
Hi,
Because this work is so difficult ...
I am sure my glow plug are death and the engine start easyli when temperature above 0 degre.
I did have last year difficulty to start the engine because the temperature was minus 8.

So why not cut the circuit when temperature are above 0 or 5 or 10 degre.

In my case, could be I need the glow plug 10 or 20 times each year and they will last 50 years.

What do you think ?

Philippe

I guess your starter battery is OK and not to weak in the cold?

Other than that I like the idea of manually disabling the glow plugs. Question is how.

The glow plug timer is powered by a fuse which also powers an oxygen sensor. So unplugging this fuse would cause problems. The wire branches to timer and sensor in the engine bay, 50cm before the timer. I'd hesitate to open up the loom there to wire in a switch. But technically possible if done properly.

The glow plugs themselves are powered through FL8, a 60A J Case fuse in the under seat fuse box.
From there a 6 mm^2 wire leads to the glow plug timer. Should be possible to wire in a switch here, however it must be rated for the max glow plug current. How much is that?
Next question: will the ECU get confused (i.e. throw an error) if there is no power for the glow plugs? That could easily be tested by removing FL6 and see what happens.
Post #970068 5th Nov 2022 7:30pm
Iktank

Wales 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
replacing glow plugs
Hi can anyone provide some advise please - Defender 2.2, glow plugs are goosed
I have purchased
- glow lugs 4No (genuine)
- inlet seals 8No LR018370
- Inlet seal 1No LR032153
- Fuel pipe LR094764

Is there anything else I need?
Do I need a gasket for the EGR, does this need to be removed along with the coolant hoses
If so what gaskets do i need to buy?

This does not look like a nice job Sad
Post #979766 25th Jan 2023 5:05pm
dannyragsdale

Papau New Guinea 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I am about to tackle the glow plugs in the next month or two and I am trying to gear up for it. Going to blank the EGR off at the same time. Did that list work for you Iktank? Did you need anything else? I already have access to a glow plug removal tool in case one breaks in the process. Thanks for any help!
Post #1006975 9th Sep 2023 8:05am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
^^^^^^^
If your 2.2 has a DPF then you can’t just blank off the egr, you need to have the DPF mapped out and removed.

This may not be the case for yours as it may be the rest of world spec and not have one.
Post #1006990 9th Sep 2023 11:00am
dannyragsdale

I luckily do not have a DPF, so I don't have to worry about that. Anything else I should be thinking about or something else I should go ahead and do while I'm working in the area?
Post #1007046 9th Sep 2023 8:49pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
You could blank off at the input to the EGR cooler, then remove and join the coolant hoses that go to and from the cooler and do same on EGR. That would bypass another potential failure point ( the EGR cooler)
Post #1007049 9th Sep 2023 9:44pm
dannyragsdale

Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to look into that.
Post #1007066 10th Sep 2023 5:08am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I would have thought you would still need the map altered if you blank the EGR. Admittedly mine is a 2.4 but I can't see why BAS would sell them if it wasn't needed Smile

The EGR patch is about 150 plus VAT. A power tune is 345 plus vat and that includes the egr patch. That is what I went for in the end.

I blanked off after the cooler. Bought a set of transit blanking plates from ebay, cheap. Work fine.

Last edited by bodstruck on 10th Sep 2023 7:09am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1007072 10th Sep 2023 7:08am
Iktank

Wales 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
dannyragsdale wrote:
I am about to tackle the glow plugs in the next month or two and I am trying to gear up for it. Going to blank the EGR off at the same time. Did that list work for you Iktank? Did you need anything else? I already have access to a glow plug removal tool in case one breaks in the process. Thanks for any help!

Hi - I cheated a bit, if I had done the job in full (properly) I would have used all the bits I ordered.
It was a pig of a job.
- took off the fuel line which you have to do - as such used new one on refitting everything
- took off the top of the EGR - again something you have to do (mine had been deleted/closed early days via BAS, on taking it apart it was all clean)
- The inlet manafold I obvioulsy took out all the retaining bolts and only moved it sufficienlty out and downwards to get to the glow plugs
- If I was going to take the inlet manafold off in full I woiuld have removed the heater control valve.
- No1, 3 and 4 removed quite readily, No2 (which on testing was as dead as a Dodo) was stuck worked on it for almost an hour with release oil turning the glow plug in and out in small turnes with lots of creaking noises evenually the treaded section had been released the glow plug still did not want to turn freely or pull out so I put a rattle gun on it on low setting to help shake of the carbon build up of and out it came
- New glow plugs then inserted Smile
- Because I had not fully removed the inlet manafold I could not get to the seals to replace them but they were pliable and in excelent condition and all was clean. I had no build up of carbon even though I had done 45,000 miles i out this to using Millers EcoMax (with double shot used every so often) on a regular basis and when I do use the Def it does 300 to 400 mile jouneys
- All put back together and running very very nicely

To note when I knoew im going to do full service I stop using the Millers REcomax so there is none in the diesel as when I replace the diesel filter I fill this full with neat Forte injector cleaner and let this run through the system with the vedicle on tickover for about 10min - this realy does a good job of cleaning out the injectors and I assume held reduce the carbon build up.
Post #1007073 10th Sep 2023 7:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>