↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Possible transmission issue.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Possible transmission issue.
I've done 1500 miles from new in my D250

The transmission sometimes isn't smooth changing from first to second (l think as it doesn't tell you what gear it's in)

When slowing for traffic, say down to walking speed there's sometimes a mild "thump" which can be felt rather than heard
Also if you try to speed up sometimes the RPM rises and there's a "thump" which can be felt as it changes up, l assume into second.

Not always though. More often it's seamless and you have to watch the rev counter to detect the change.

l don't know if it's to do with throttle position (too much gas?) or it's a minor issues
with the gearbox.

l recall on a test drive if you slowed on a hill and then tried to give it gas it wasn't particularly smooth (different Defender)

Can the transmission be reset or software updated? lt's better in "S" because it
doesn't seem to use first gear in that mode.

Has anyone else noticed this, l can obviously call the dealer and book it in for check over but don't want to if it's just a characteristic.

l've looked online as the ZF 8 speed is fitted to other cars including BMW but couldn't find anything definitive.

l once drove a Cayman S and the automatic in that was terrible, it took about two seconds to respond then took off like a rocket

Not sure what to expect from it TBH
Post #979626 24th Jan 2023 7:15pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
that doesn't sound right.
driven a few and they are normally smooth
it would be back to the dealer asap if it was mine
Post #979633 24th Jan 2023 7:35pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
ls it worth trying to reset the transmission, l believe it can be done
Post #979646 24th Jan 2023 8:50pm
Moo

Ukraine 
I have similar issues. Mine also holds onto the gears for a long time or changes down when going down hill when it doesn't need to. It also has a vibration when going uphill on the motorway when cruise control is on.

It's booked in for the dealer to have a look. It can be quite uncomfortable to drive.
Post #979661 24th Jan 2023 11:11pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Let me know how you get on with it. It does make the vehicle less relaxing to drive because you don't know how it's going to respond.

Sometimes it's smooth, sometimes there's a "thump" felt as the revs shoot up and the gearbox engages.
I had similar on my Porsche and it was due to slightly low oil level in the transmission, solved with a litre of transmission fluid
Post #979682 25th Jan 2023 8:09am
XplusYplusZ

4000 in my D250.

I get the odd clumsy gear shift, but not a thump to the point i'm worried about it.
Post #979715 25th Jan 2023 11:28am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Sounds similar to mine.

May be just how it is. l found that in crawling traffic if you move the shift lever to the left and down it selects "2" and stays there, and is much smoother as a result.

ln "D" it will almost immediately change from 1 to 2 when you start moving, and then change down again pretty much straight away.

lt's also better generally in "S" because it doesn't select 1 at all when in slow moving traffic.

I will see how it goes, l've got a three year warranty
Post #979771 25th Jan 2023 5:29pm
J77

Scotland 
My 90 had a transmission software update as part of an attempt to fix a 2WD warning popping up on the dash. Mine had an occasional thump after the update all seemed ok. I’ll see if I have the paperwork from when it was in. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #979808 25th Jan 2023 9:08pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Thank you yes l was thinking a possibility of a software update.

Didn't get that on my old Defender. The only "software" was the seat cushions
Post #979820 25th Jan 2023 10:25pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Well, l've got Land Rover Assist coming out on Sunday, it's booked in with the dealer but there's a ten week lead time because they can't loan me a vehicle until the end of March.

l'll update when they've looked at it.
Post #980105 27th Jan 2023 8:48pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
LR Assist have been out this Sunday morning (at 7.30am!)

The technician said a software update was available for the transmission control module so he did that.

l've used the vehicle this morning and initial impressions are that it is much improved.

He also noticed that l hadn't activated the SIM card. And he also said don't leave the vehicle 20,000 miles before charging the oil. He agreed with my suggestion to change it at around 10,000 intervals.

He was surprised that there was no locking fuel filler flap "first one l've seen without it"
I've fitted a locking fuel cap, which cost £22

TBH l prefer that because the locking flap won't stop someone attempting to steal your fuel, they'll just prise it open with a screwdriver causing damage.
Post #980275 29th Jan 2023 10:33am
J77

Scotland 
Sorry for the delay, but yes the Transmission Control Module was what mine had updated Thumbs Up 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Post #980283 29th Jan 2023 11:14am
Tim in Scotland

How odd that what was a previous issue and supposedly cured has occurred on such a recently built car. I’m changing to a D250 soon from a mechanically faultless D240 and to be honest the issue with auxiliary belt mounts, this re-occurrence of an old issue plus the recently found chaffing of the rubber hose are starting to concern me that the 6 cylinder engine has more issues than the much derided 4 cylinder that has never given me a moment’s doubt about it’s reliablity Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #980294 29th Jan 2023 12:07pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
The hose was supposedly modified some time ago, but it looks like mine somehow slipped through the net.

He did mention the issue with aux. belt failure "l've done seventy of those" but said it doesn't apply to the 3.0

Most people wouldn't have bothered about the slight transmission issue but l am a perfectionist and it bugged me. l forgot to ask if he could disable the stop/start while he was here!
Post #980310 29th Jan 2023 1:21pm
J77

Scotland 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
How odd that what was a previous issue and supposedly cured has occurred on such a recently built car. I’m changing to a D250 soon from a mechanically faultless D240 and to be honest the issue with auxiliary belt mounts, this re-occurrence of an old issue plus the recently found chaffing of the rubber hose are starting to concern me that the 6 cylinder engine has more issues than the much derided 4 cylinder that has never given me a moment’s doubt about it’s reliablity

6 cylinder is a lovely engine Tim, I haven’t seen any horror stories as yet about them. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Post #980316 29th Jan 2023 1:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>