Home > Puma (Tdci) > Buying first Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Atrain

Finland 
Buying first Defender
Hello!

I’m completely new at the forum, and in the world of Land Rovers for that matter.

I have been eyeing a 2013 Defender which is for sale here in my home country Finland, and would like to get some advice. For example, is there something I should know about the specific model/engine, is the asking price even close to the general ball park (bear in mind, that the taxes for cars here are ridiculous, so it’s always gonna be a lot more than everywhere else in Europe). And of course, bigger maintenance costs and scheduled services, to be expected with this mileage.

Also, I would be using the car as my daily driver, with a lot of driving at the highways. While I know it’s not optimal, I’d like to get your opinions about how horrible it would be. What I’ve understood, is that these later year Defenders should be at least a little more comfortable in that regard? Also, i’ve read about the average combined fuel consumption being about 11L/100km, but some people have reported quite a lot lower than that. So how close the reported consumption is to actual?

Here’s the link to the car, unfortunately it’s in Finnish, but I think you can find the main things there anyway.

https://m.nettiauto.com/land-rover/defende...p;vifNav=Y

Thanks in advance for the help Smile
Post #977978 14th Jan 2023 12:36pm
nitram17

it looks to be in very good condition...I personally would try to get a days driving experience with a defender before you part with huge cash sums ...Defenders are unique and you will either hate them or love them. But you wont know until you try. The puma defenders are the most suited of the defenders for motorway driving, you can cruise at 70-80 mph but it will be noisy!Its a noisy ,leaky wallet draining brick on wheels but they get under your skin like no other motor car!
Post #977985 14th Jan 2023 1:38pm
Atrain

Finland 
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, it says in the Finnish description, that it is in exceptionally good condition.
Of course, should do a thorough inspection for possible rust. It also says, that brakes have been just recently serviced. Other than that, there’s not a lot of info about service history, so should check that also.

By wallet draining, you mean the fuel cost, or general maintenance etc? Smile
Post #977986 14th Jan 2023 1:43pm
nitram17

i tend not to look at the fuel consumption and lie to myself im getting 25-30 mpg. Embarassed wallet draining is usually down to the personalization/modification of the car which has endless possibilities....
Post #977989 14th Jan 2023 2:09pm
Trundlebus

United Kingdom 
i run a 2014 130. I have owned since almost new. it has been very reliable, for the first few years it was my daily driver, now it is used for trips abroad and camping. I get aound 30MPG, in normal use.
If you think of it not as a car but as a small lorry or work vehicle that gives you an idea. The 2.2 tdci model is the nearest to a modern vehicle and is fun to drive but hard work. Gear change is agricultural, it is noisy. I would recommend carpeting the rear with sound insulation etc.
make sure you change the intecooler hoses for decent silicone reptacements, the only problem I have ever had is when one blew a hole.
the nice thing is your will feel able to cope with most road and off road conditions.

good luck
Post #978020 14th Jan 2023 5:17pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Check the oil pump recall has been undertaken, this involves the replacement of the oil pump and I think a longer pick up pipe installed.

Check if the front axle is within the vin range for the recall. On inspection the front axle needs to be checked for any oil leakage / splits on the welds. Lots of info on here about the issue.

I expect yours, like the uk ones, will be fitted with a DPF. These can have issues ( getting blocked) if lots of low speed short journeys are undertaken. However if you do regular higher speed longer journeys this will not be an issue for you. Noting I have never had a DPF warning light illuminate.

As the DPF does dilute the engine oil I change my oil, with the correct low saps oil and gen oil filter every 5k miles or 6 months, in my case that tends to be every 2.5-3k miles. Probably over the top but keeps engine in great condition and very easy to do yourself.

At higher speeds I find it’s the tyres that give the greatest noise. The more aggressive the tread pattern I.e mud terrain, the greater the noise level.

There really are great looking and fun to drive vehicles, all you have to do is keep up with the maintenance and the 2.2 will serve you well.
Post #978093 14th Jan 2023 9:42pm
nitram17

What years are covered by the oil pump recall Ian H.?
Post #978102 14th Jan 2023 10:31pm
LRNewbie

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
Hi Atrain

I was in the same position as you eighteen months ago and grateful for the advice imparted by the forum ahead of my first defender purchase. I ended up acquiring a 2013 90 XS.

I took my vehicle for the recommended test drive - in fact two times. I was advised to ensure the underside was generally in good condition but to expect some rust - to this end I had the dealer produce a video walk through of the underside - front to back and back to front. This helped to confirm the good condition and negotiate a waxyoiled application as part of the deal.

I have used my vehicle in France - a 1300 mile round trip - I end up around the 24mpg on this run sitting at 70 for long periods. It's noisy, cramped, bumpy but ultimately every time i drive 'Rosie' it brings a smile to my face.

If its the right car for you I would take the plunge ....

Good Luck
Post #980191 28th Jan 2023 6:45pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I've owned my 2.4 110 double-cab for over a decade, use as a daily driver, and have done 260,000 miles, and I love it (and I can still walk).

If you want something that drives like a modern car, forget it. If you're happy with something that drives like a 1980s small truck, you'll be fine.
Post #980222 28th Jan 2023 10:44pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
nitram17 wrote:
What years are covered by the oil pump recall Ian H.?

See this topic for details and vin range covered https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic36247.html
Post #980230 29th Jan 2023 1:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1