↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Back Seat USB Ports Missing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

PowerfulUK last night started what looks like being a series of videos about how they are going to retro fit the seat back USBs to their new 90 X D300.
Looks like it’s a big job including removal of both front seats to access the centre consol unit………
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #972103 23rd Nov 2022 9:16am
LR Nuts

.....although it looks like you need the plastic holder with the 4 holes in it ......

so what are LR short of, the USB/power connectors or the plastic 4 holes cover ? [or both]

Click image to enlarge
Post #972112 23rd Nov 2022 10:11am
Defendit..

Netherlands 
If you want to retrofit the cigarette lighter chargepoint 12v into USB a or c in the front of the console.
best to slide the console backwards so you can reach behind to unclip and keep it useable again.
I returned that one on the back, actually just changed the USB c from behind to front

Click image to enlarge
 No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #972132 23rd Nov 2022 12:27pm
Tim in Scotland

The 2nd installment just put up,on YouTube by Simon
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #972179 23rd Nov 2022 7:42pm
LR Nuts

I've done a similar thing, but got my USB sockets from a Disco 5.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now I come from an electronics background, that chip [lefthand side of the silver capacitor] is not just a regulator. I believe the 3rd pin on the back is for USB data serial sync.

PS, Simon can get the connectors the correct way around, by filing a flat in the circular hole .... 180 deg opposite.
Post #972183 23rd Nov 2022 8:05pm
eakae

United Kingdom 
I too took delivery of my new Defender in November and only now before our first family trip did I notice most of my usb ports are missing. Will be on the phone to the dealer in the new year to highlight the service update that’s been mentioned.

It would be helpful if Land Rover informed purchasers of these issues when you collect the vehicle rather than finding out when they’re needed!!
Post #975830 27th Dec 2022 9:53pm
Moo

Ukraine 
I raised this, other bits missing and the knife marks on my roof and rails from when they took the delivery wrapping off. Also the dealer also owes me £110 for taxi to pick up the car from Heathrow and fuel in the car they lent me to get home because the salesman had screwed up on the collection paperwork! Rolling Eyes The crazy thing was they PDI'd the car but none of this was picked up and the salesman also hadn't noticed. They didn't even tell me the fuel filler flap didn't lock, which I found out from here, so I've had to buy a locking fuel cap. Evil or Very Mad

I've had no response since November despite ongoing correspondence. To say their service is disgraceful is being polite. The crazy thing is that the sales guy who sold me the car is the 'Retention Manager'! Twisted Evil

I've now begun legal action, engaged the group CEO who has responded as well as LRCS. LR really need to get a grip of the dealer network. It's undermining the brand badly.
Post #975832 27th Dec 2022 10:24pm
dkm2103

United Kingdom 
DESCRIPTION OF ISSUE
A potential concern has been identified on specific vehicles within the above vehicle range.
Due a shortage of USB-C parts, vehicles are having to be shipped with blanks where there are USB-C charge ports in the vehicle. A
further service communication will be issued for all affected vehicles, to provide the USB-C charge ports when parts become
available.
Defender vehicles will not have USB-C ports installed in the following locations at handover:
• Instrument panel
• Rear portable media interface panel
• C-pillar lower trim panel on Defender 130 only
Discovery vehicles will not have USB-C ports installed in the following locations at handover:
• C-pillar and D-pillar upper trim panel
Note: Additional vehicles may be affected by this campaign and will be addressed as part of a further service communication, as
required.
ACTION TO BE TAKEN
When handing over the vehicle, please inform the customer that the USB-C charge ports are currently unavailable due to a shortage
of this part. A further service communication will be issued for all affected vehicles, to provide the USB-C ports when parts become
available. Until such time, the vehicle can be released with this campaign action outstanding.
Post #976657 4th Jan 2023 12:06pm
dkm2103

United Kingdom 
Sorry for duplication of posts- When I picked my D90 x-dyn HSE up I did not notice a number of things like the missing front and rear missing ports. (also wasn't aware that it didn't even come with a locking fuel cap).
When i challenged the dealership (UK) I received the 'snip' below. I am still waiting on a complete 'interior protection package', 'mud flaps' and other bits- Given I picked this up end Oct its a shabby response

DESCRIPTION OF ISSUE
A potential concern has been identified on specific vehicles within the above vehicle range.
Due a shortage of USB-C parts, vehicles are having to be shipped with blanks where there are USB-C charge ports in the vehicle. A
further service communication will be issued for all affected vehicles, to provide the USB-C charge ports when parts become
available.
Defender vehicles will not have USB-C ports installed in the following locations at handover:
• Instrument panel
• C-pillar lower trim panel on Defender 130 only
Discovery vehicles will not have USB-C ports installed in the following locations at handover:
• C-pillar and D-pillar upper trim panel
Note: Additional vehicles may be affected by this campaign and will be addressed as part of a further service communication, as
required.
ACTION TO BE TAKEN
When handing over the vehicle, please inform the customer that the USB-C charge ports are currently unavailable due to a shortage
of this part. A further service communication will be issued for all affected vehicles, to provide the USB-C ports when parts become
available. Until such time, the vehicle can be released with this campaign action outstanding.
Post #976658 4th Jan 2023 12:06pm
carsly

United States 2016 Defender 130 Other SW Auto Bali Blue
Thanks for the tips to those in this thread!

I picked up a Defender 130 First Edition (inventory vehicle) about two weeks ago and was more than a little irked at the lack of a second key and complete absence of power outlets in the second row. Mind you, they were kind enough to install a cigarette lighter and 110V socket in the trunk and I do have the three ports - USB-A, USB-C and cigarette lighter in the center console.

Following the tips in this thread I ordered three USB-A sockets with the intent to mount two in the back of the center console for rear-seat passengers (USB-C seem expensive and hard to find) and one in the front passenger tray. So far, with a lot of snipping and some cursing I was able to fit the two USB-A for the second-row passengers and reinstall the other two blanks. I did find it easier to pop all four blanks out while working because I could then shine a light through on, look through another and jam my fingers through the other 1 or 2 which were open. Did I mention the snipping? Make sure you have scissors that are at least 6 inches long (or the equivalent in metric) and take your time. I kept most snipping to the plastic connector since I couldn't very well cut through it like I could a wire and once I had that free I could pry enough free wire to get the connector through the hole.

Oh, did I mention that I had the USB-A ports shipped from the UK to the USA in just a few days with regular shipping? So much for the global backorder, eh?

Not perfect, but until the dealer gets around to retrofitting the USB-C's at least the kids have some juice flowing in the back seat.

Now for that second key...
Post #977495 10th Jan 2023 9:15pm
XplusYplusZ

Weirdly my MY23.5 110 has two cigarette lighter ports in the boot, but 4 blanks in the rear centre console..
Post #977603 11th Jan 2023 3:20pm
XplusYplusZ

So did anyone get their new USB-Cs yet?

How did you go about it?
Post #981950 10th Feb 2023 8:23am
Moo

Ukraine 
Nope.
Post #981954 10th Feb 2023 9:16am
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
I just bought some online and replaced them myself. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #981969 10th Feb 2023 11:01am
snowtiger

Germany 
Checked mine yesterday at the dealer. USB ports are all installed. Date on the protection film on the door said 15.02.23.
Post #983738 26th Feb 2023 12:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>