↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > My V8 Swap (Toyota 1UZ-FE)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
Timbo

England 2008 Defender 110 V8 Petrol USW Tonga Green
Oh no! I know how disheartening it is to have to undo a bunch of work. But on the upside bolts will not be seized Surprised It sounds beautiful and I can tell your gear ratios are much better spaced out than mine. I have the gear ready to fit but I've managed to tear 3 of the 4 muscles in my shoulder. Big Cry I haven't worked in over 2 months and definitly can't tackle getting the transfer box out Big Cry If you want a change of scenery and fancy coming to do mine instead of yours I will get the kettle on and the bacon sandwiches whilst offering moral support Rolling with laughter Citroen 2CV. (Written off)
66 Ford Mustang (Sold)
Land Rover Defender 110 Hard top 300 tdi (Sold and subsequently written off)
And a few BMW's before seeing the light
Post #971033 13th Nov 2022 8:51pm
LJMARSDEN

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
oh dear mate does sound rough, however I am easily convinced with bacon sandwiches: rolllaugh: Rolling with laughter

we ought o have a chat about the ratios you have going on. the MT82 aren't too dissimliar to my own R380 and you have the 1.22 TC. wonder what is worth changing first.. Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/defender__v8/
Post #971044 13th Nov 2022 10:37pm
Timbo

The MT82 ratio's may be similar to the R380 but my MT82 gearbox should be in a Land Rover in Sri Lanka by now Shocked That's where the guy who bought it was sending it anyway Rolling with laughter I have the M57 BMW gearbox and I would have thought it would have been way longer on ratio than it actually is. I have 1.211 ratio transfer box and the only way I know how to make the gears longer is to change it to 1.1. That's the next job on the agenda and it's very frustrating having a knackered shoulder and not being able to do it. The other thing I want to do is make it louder Laughing It has a lovely subtle burble but not quite ASBO enough for me. I'm in two minds, sometimes I love the understated sound then the hooligan in me takes over and I want to frighten little old ladies with a blip of the throttle Rolling with laughter Citroen 2CV. (Written off)
66 Ford Mustang (Sold)
Post #971647 18th Nov 2022 9:10pm
LJMARSDEN

Of course you have the ZF, forgot about that. So it does look like a Ratio change is needed... since youre in there you might as well get an ATB? Theyre brilliant, a really noticeable improvement.

I'm loving my exhaust note at the moment but it can be a bit too larry at times.... I may pop a standard TD5/ Tdci Silencer back on and see what that is like.

Then of course throw an exhaust cut out on there so I don't completely miss the opportunity of getting an Asbo. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Post #971669 19th Nov 2022 9:41am
LJMARSDEN

I've just put the standard TD5 mid Silencer back on the car as it was simply too asbo and now the thing is mute and boring. Big Cry

Does anyone know if the rear silencer on the car is worth removing just to gain a bit of growl or whether it may be worth me replacing the mid silencer with an off the shelf "sports Silencer" as seen on Devon4x4 and a couple of other places.

I'll probably be taking that rear section off to see if it'll have some beans behind it noise-wise later today but thought I'd ask the question anyway.

Will get some vids up on YT later too.

Click image to enlarge

(Photo of the car looking good) Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Post #983507 24th Feb 2023 7:42am
Timbo

Hey Luke Long time no see! Surprised I have just cut the centre box open on my exhaust and removed about half of the fibre matting to see if this gives me a richer exhaust note. It's in bits at the moment so I don't know how it sounds yet. Rolling Eyes I'll report back when it's running again Thumbs Up Citroen 2CV. (Written off)
66 Ford Mustang (Sold)
Post #983584 24th Feb 2023 8:57pm
LJMARSDEN

Oh fair idea I'm looking forward to hearing it Thumbs Up

Just read your post mate I hope you get that OP soon and sorted. cant be having any injuries while owning these cars Rolling with laughter Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Post #983603 25th Feb 2023 12:08am
LJMARSDEN

Upgrade(s) time:

Decided the R380 was too old fashioned and changed the thing recently (also had its own issues). Yet to take it on a test drive as I'm waiting for a clutch line at the moment however, I've done all the heavy lifting so far and it hasn't been a terrible job.

The parts:
PMC M57 Box to 1/3UZ Adaptor "Stage 1"

Syncros LT230 to GS6-53DZ adaptor

Syncros R380 to GS6 Gearstick/ housing adaptor

Process(ish):

Removed it all quite nicely without the axle/ transmission jack which was supposedly condemned...

Click image to enlarge

The GS6 rear flange came off easy enough, if this was a Land Rover part its fair to say it wouldn't be a five minute job like it was Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Slipped the new output shaft on with plenty of grease in case I may need to take it apart again... Fingers crossed.

Click image to enlarge

It all went together well, Casing of the GS6 needed a lot of trimming & grinding due to the LT230 and all its cap heads from Winchester.

Click image to enlarge

Then Flywheel & Clutch in

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Prior to this I may have slightly dropped both the gearbox & LT230 on my shins, noticed the remanence of skin and hair against the blue... (Ouch) Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

After that anyway, took them apart and installed it into the car. No clearance issues as of yet even with the 1UZ sitting quite tall in my 90. The prop shafts also sit almost identical to the prior setup which is a blessing. Something I was unsure of as this setup hasn't yet been documented to my knowledge.

Click image to enlarge

Note:

The Passenger side mount required modifcation, went from 4 bolt flange to 2. believe this to be down to the fact that the adaptor is designed for Chassis prior to the TD5.

Now, this Box does have a lot shorter ratios to the R380 and is one of the main selling points for me. Reason being is that the Non VVTI 1UZ doesn't have the most prominent torque down low and I felt that between changes the engine could've benefitted with being a few hundred RPM higher. So, the compromise on cruising speed should hopefully be worth it with the return of a tad more performance (in a defender I know...) Rolling with laughter

This setup may change if and when I supercharge the engine, we'll see.

Another concern/ gripe I had with the R380 was the ceramic clutch, clutch fork and thrust bearing were all on their way out. This may have been down to my inexperience of such things or lack of information on the R380/ 1UZ swap, unsure. But, to do this task a lot of modification to these internal components are needed. It requires guide tube shortening, yet there is no definitive info on the end length, the pushrod from the slave also dictates biting point and can simulate clutch slip for example. Alongside this, the box doesn't appear to enjoy the abuse. Hence why people with M57s are snapping them pretty religiously.

It won't be long until the only thing remaining of the LR drivetrain will be the gearstick housing I'm sure. Rolling with laughter Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Post #1000182 14th Jul 2023 9:26pm
Timbo

Good work buddy Thumbs Up You should find the clutch will be a lot lighter, in terms of pressure needed to push down pedal, than the land rover one. I wish you'd told me you were doing this and I'd have recommended putting the BMW flange on and tightening it up with a good rattle gun then remove nut and flange. I think I may have accidently knocked my out put shaft in a bit with clumsy attempts at putting the transfer box on Shocked That is, I think, why my shaft moved forwards. The gear box guy who looked at it did the tightening thing with a snapon gun and it's stayed where it should since then. I assume the bearing the shaft sits in is a tight fit at rear of gearbox. I found it hard to locate an M57 gearbox but when my adaptor plate arrived it apparently had options pre drilled for g36 box and some others from the BMW family which were much more readily available and cheaper Shocked Enjoy the quicker gear changes and better build quality the BM box offers Thumbs Up Citroen 2CV. (Written off)
66 Ford Mustang (Sold)
Post #1000329 15th Jul 2023 8:32pm
LJMARSDEN

You make a fair point about that shaft, I was wondering how that was fastened in. As I was putting on the new output I noticed a lot of movement in it Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Post #1000388 16th Jul 2023 2:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456