↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Strange Smell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blackrock

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Firenze Red
Strange Smell
Having just got my 2012 110, occasionally when driving it I get a whiff of something sweet smelling. On one of my previous cars this turned out to be a leaking radiator, the coolant being the smell. So, I was starting to think that I had a coolant leak somewhere. After looking for it and the smell and also looking at the coolant level I took the expansion tank top off to have a look at the level. Lo and behold, the coolant doesn't smell. So I looked elsewhere and found that the screenwash lid seems to be leaking. There's old dried screenwash around the top and the smell is indeed what I can smell. It's probably when going over bumps that it leaks a bit.
Anyone else had this? The lid seems to be fitting tightly, but obviously something isn't right. If I buy a new lid, surely it's going to leak in the same way? It there a gasket or something that is somehow missing on mine? Anyone seen this before?

Andrew
Post #965296 17th Sep 2022 3:49pm
The Zee

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
I also occasionaly get a odd smell, sometimes a subtle "cooking" smell, but I put this down to a DPF clean and off-road muck burning on the exhaust system as it gets hot in places it does not normally due to shortish trips. Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
2014 Defender 110 Utility, 2.2 Puma, Indus Silver
Not just transport more like a religion
Post #965318 17th Sep 2022 7:36pm
spudfan

Ireland 
It could be coolant getting burnt off a hot surface. Check the water pump for leaks or if there are streaks on the coolant reservoir coming from the cap this will be the source of the smell. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #965323 17th Sep 2022 7:49pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Most likely screenwash spillage due to being well filled up, the cap also has a breather in it.
As you use the screenwash it’ll stop.

Always happens after filling screenwash bottle, replacing the cap may improve it a little. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #965412 18th Sep 2022 7:48pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
We had a strange smell that turned out to be a/c fluid. The engine lifting bracket, the red one at the back of the engine, had come loose and hit the a/c pipe below it resulting in a leak. New pipe cleared the problem. It is a long short to have that on your one but you never know. Peter
Post #965542 20th Sep 2022 4:32pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
custom90steve wrote:
Most likely screenwash spillage due to being well filled up, the cap also has a breather in it.
As you use the screenwash it’ll stop.

Always happens after filling screenwash bottle, replacing the cap may improve it a little.

A few weeks ago I found I had a container of "Demon Tweaks" heavy duty screenwash left over from last winter, which I had bought when I was temporarily unable to get my usual brand. Perhaps foolishly I filled the reservoir with it (diluted in a manner appropriate to the summer, of course).

It smells very strongly of bananas. Now every time I squirt the screen or headlights (yes, I am bragging Very Happy ) the Defender reeks of bl**dy bananas for quite a while afterwards.

I can't wait for it to run out.

The only one I have ever encountered which was worse was a a container of Halfords "scented" screenwash some years ago, which made the car smell like a brothel (or like I image a brothel would smell, before anyone asks). That was worse than the bananas.

What's wrong with screenwash that smells like screenwash?
Post #965554 20th Sep 2022 5:48pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I use the 5L Rain x screenwash premix you can only get from Halfords. I’m happy with it. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. β›½οΈπŸ›’οΈπŸ‘¨β€πŸ”§πŸ§°βš™οΈ RED, WHITE & BOOST! πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Post #965557 20th Sep 2022 5:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1