↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 130 Camper Conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Thanks Clayton.

Bit more progress last weekend starting with a Tambourline door under the sink, I was a bit dubious about the idea of a plastic door but the quality is excellent. Apart from being lightweight they have a big advantage in so far as they don't open out into what is a pretty restricted space. First step was cutting the ply to make the frame for the sliders and spirals to sit on, then cut a piece of ply to make the face with the right sized hole cut out and the edges of the hole routed. Turned out pretty well I think.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Between that and the gas locker there was an ideal space for the grey water waste jerry, this is a 19 litre container which should be ample. I decided that with a solid door we would end up always opening it to check the level so I cut a viewing slot in it for easy checking.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The door closes tight against the jerry can so it won't be able to move, just need to fit the bolts and all sorted.

With a bit of luck this weekend will see the kitchen side pretty much done.

Last edited by Ratty43 on 13th May 2022 10:27am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #952428 12th May 2022 9:35pm
L110CDL

England 
Coming on nicely and a good idea with the viewing slot Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #952430 12th May 2022 9:46pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Another busy couple of weeks started with sorting out the ply around the toilet and water tank.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Complete with the essential slot that lets us use the flush.

After that I moved onto the timing belt, not too bad but a fair bit of fluff in casing.

Click image to enlarge

It's a job that is at the edge of my mechanical comfort zone, always the worry it will go bang when when the key is turned. Luckily it didn't and it turned out the timing was a fair way out so hopefully the belt is good for another few years and the engine should be running better.

After the belt I got the anodised aluminium cut and bent to shape to make the area around the stove, including aluminium angle to hold the stove in place. Also fitted the gas pipe work on quick connects so we could make our first cup of tea in Randy.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #953624 25th May 2022 9:41pm
L110CDL

England 
Hope the cuppa was nice Wink

Nicely taking shape there Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #953719 26th May 2022 7:30pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
The cuppa was pretty good thanks! Probably easier to walk 20 yards and put the kettle on mind. Few jobs to do before the Adventure Overland Show but looking set for it.
Post #953755 26th May 2022 10:10pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Been a bit quiet as we were working in getting Randy ready for the Adventure Overland Show. The main part of this was tuning the engine, what should have been simple took a while weekend because the fuel pin shot out across the pump when the diaphragm was removed. I now know that this happened because somebody had previously removed the throttle arm and then set the idle on the throttle cable. I now know all about indexing a VE pump throttle arm but the bit in the middle when I didn't was a pig. It needs turning back slightly as we make a bit of black smoke at full throttle before full boost but the difference is astounding. West Cornwall to Stratford upon Avon and back returned 27.2 on brim to brim tanks with the journey up on A and B roads which I'm happy with.

The show was a mixed bag, good to meet Wyvern in person and lots of nice vehicles but the trade stands were limited to say the least. We did buy a pair of Front Runner expander chairs though. The live music in the Campervan Lounge was excellent.

Now back on the build, we've picked up a Dometic CFX3 35 so I spent today working on a slide to pull it out from what will be storage shelves.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Tomorrow should see this bit finished and then we'll be ready to start on the framing for the storage areas around it.
Post #955866 18th Jun 2022 7:08pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Great to see you too !!
your build is coming on nicely and looks good (the bits we saw... )
looking forward to meeting you closer to home !

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #955879 18th Jun 2022 8:02pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Really starting to come together now, I got the fridge wired in and installed last week.
Post #956674 27th Jun 2022 7:07pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Really starting to come together now, I got the fridge wired in and installed last week.

Click image to enlarge

The supplied cable was only 1.5mm² which is a bit mean so cut the connector off and soldered it onto 4mm² cable. Then got the fridge into its drawer with cam buckle straps to hold it down.

Click image to enlarge

We spent Saturday night back in my aunts field, torrential showers and 40mph gusts but there are upsides to dodgy weather.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It's a useful trial spot as the wind highlights the slack in the canvas, it was very noisy for the evening so we've now bought a bungee that runs around the canvas and keeps it pulled in.
Post #956675 27th Jun 2022 7:12pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Been a bit quiet of late, largely because we've been working away trying to get him ready for our trip down to the Pyrenees. We set off in Friday so not long to go now.

Sarah has been working away in getting the wood work painted, looks pretty good I think. The long shelf over the fridge has 3 boxes in it, each one giving 43L of storage, the vertical set next to the door has 2 60L and two 20L boxes so we're probably alright for storage.

Click image to enlarge

In the meantime I've been changing all the fluids so we are ready to go. We have a range of wikiloc tracks for the Pyrenees all loaded on a tablet. Quite excited to be setting off on an adventure!
Post #964025 4th Sep 2022 10:10pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
I'll add a proper update once we are back but today saw us arrive in the Pyrenees, currently stopped at a France Passion place (brilliant setup, 30 euros to join and free stops all over France). The view is spectacular

Click image to enlarge

Bit of a workout for Randy climbing up here, the hairpin bends needed first gear and I'm planning on using the low box on the way down in the morning when we head for Saint John Pied de Port to start the trip into Spain.

On the down side we have developed some leaks, both front and rear driver's side halfshaft caps are spitting oil/one shot grease which I'm hoping to fix with RTV (if I can find some tomorrow). Also we're losing engine oil with the underside nicely coated, once we're back on level ground I'm going to try to find the source, looks to be fairly high up as there is a puddle on the front diff casing. Not ideal really but we've covered 600 miles in the last four days so I suppose at 35 he was bound to start showing some gremlins!
Post #964919 13th Sep 2022 7:30pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
The plastic drive member caps don't worry too much on leaking there. It will look really messy but wont be much oil. Check axle breather isint blocked.

Engine oil, that's alot if it pooling on diff. What engine is it, td5 could be vac pump oil feed, return leaking, isint that above diff? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #964963 14th Sep 2022 8:07am
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Thanks James. I seem to have cured the hub leaks with self amalgamating tape.

As for the engine oil (300tdi) it's lost a fair amount, around a litre over the course of 150 miles yesterday. Last night I had a poke around to see if anything was clearly loose and the only thing that seemed so were the rocker cover bolts which weren't really tightened down at all. I've tightened then and cleaned up as much of the oil as possible so will keep an eye on it over the next couple of days. I have also bought 5l of cheap mineral oil so that we have a decent reserve on board.

Cheers, Barney
Post #964964 14th Sep 2022 8:20am
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
I can't quite believe it can be so simple but having tightened the rocker cover bolts we haven't lost any oil in 6 hours and a hundred miles of driving. They were tightened to the correct torque when I replaced the gasket at the time as doing the valve clearances so they must have vibrated loose. I'm very relieved, to put it mildly!
Post #965025 14th Sep 2022 5:04pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Fingers crossed, sounds good so far. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #965053 14th Sep 2022 8:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>