↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 130 Camper Conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Really looking forward to seeing how this project takes shape with the popup roof! Thumbs Up

Ratty43 wrote:
Progress will slow down a lot soon to allow the bank account to recover!
Ah yes, can very much relate! Sad I'm skimping on carpets on mine for now (although, mostly so I can find leaks easier) and will sound proof at the same time later down the line to save me ripping stuff back up. Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #924794 6th Oct 2021 11:10pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
I'm lucky as it's kept in the garage so leaks aren't top of my list, just as well as it's like a colander! Soundproofing is high on my list a) for the dogs sake and b) because my wife didn't like the previous defender because of the noise!
Post #924889 7th Oct 2021 7:39pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Another busy weekend ahead of our first trial outing next weekend. Both front hubs have new wheel bearings and vented discs with new calipers. I had an hour spare so also got close to finishing changing the glass fuse blocks over to blades. When my now wife and I started dating I suggested a classic mini which she adored but it came with glass fuses that caused no end of problems so I've sworn off them! All the wires are fitted with crimp spades using a kit from Amazon. I was going to spend more on a crimper but saw this one for £20 with 150 connectors and thought it was worth a gamble, which it was, great bit of kit!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #925356 11th Oct 2021 9:14pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Well our first trip is underway, popped up the duchy to a campsite near Looe called Lansallos, brilliant place run by the national trust.

Click image to enlarge
Post #925841 15th Oct 2021 6:44pm
Terryt

United Kingdom 
Fabulous.. 20 mins from me .. enjoy .always welcome to pop in if you fancy it …. Enjoy your stay
Post #925855 15th Oct 2021 7:31pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
Thank you, that's very kind of you, although this is a flying visit we'll be back up next year for longer. Lovely part of Cornwall, we've been coming here for over a decade, not all that far from my end near Lands End but completely different scenery.
Post #925865 15th Oct 2021 8:38pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Love Cornwall best place in the UK when the tourists numbers are low. Off down to our place in Lanlivery next week but not taking the 90 this time. Thumbs Up Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #925892 16th Oct 2021 5:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
It's a wonderful part of the country but getting far too busy (which at 36 I can't help feeling I shouldn't be saying!).
Post #926252 18th Oct 2021 7:57pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
As a run down on the weekend a few points might help others so in no particular order this is how we found things.

ARB awning: Quite simply brilliant, I thought the built in lighting would be a gimmick but actually it worked really well. I do however wish that they had dropped the white light and had red instead to go with the amber. We looked at a lot of different awnings but the build quality of the ARB was exactly as described. Being able to turn up, roll the awning out and sit down with a drink inside a couple of minutes had both of us sold.

Sound proofing: With the 2mm silent coat and carpet below the dash it's still far from perfect but there is no doubt that at low revs and speed it is much improved. We need to sort out the doors and behind the dash as there is still a lot coming from these areas. I'm 6' 2" and suffer more from resonance in the roof than Sarah does being shorter bit this will be the next area for attention.

Britpart seat covers, foams and heated pads: World's better, the heated seat kits are excellent, we didn't need them but a quick test says that they work very well. Personally I find the back foams a bit tight on the sides at the moment but that will doubtless change.

Overall: What could be better than a Defender? The only other people in the campsite were in Transporters which are fine but the Land Rover just looked and felt right, the same reason we bought it!
Post #926254 18th Oct 2021 8:08pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
It's been a bit quiet on the LR front but we're now back up and spending. Tomorrow DPD should be delivering the canvas and hinges for the pop top, turns out that a T25 Westfalia canvas is 130cm X 220cm. The length is just 10cm short on either end which seems about right and the width means we'll have 25cm on either side. Not perfect but should be good enough to live with.

The hinges are standard VW scissor jobs, albeit for an earlier model so should work but are a bit of a gamble.

Current plan is to make up frames for the top and bottom of the canvas and get the opening up working, after that I'm planning on making a roof out of ply completely wrapped in fibreglass in the same way as stitch and glue kayaks are made.
Post #929891 15th Nov 2021 9:06pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Quite posh camping gear you are in... did you remove the tie for the photo Rolling with laughter 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #930014 16th Nov 2021 7:55pm
buffalo4

United Kingdom 
familymad ... he may be glamping Very Happy
Post #930017 16th Nov 2021 8:04pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
familymad wrote:
Quite posh camping gear you are in... did you remove the tie for the photo Rolling with laughter

Laughing I have to wear shirts to work, they get rotated onto weekend duties when they start to get tatty and then DIY when the elbows go through. I think it's the effect of Scottish ancestors!
Post #930032 16th Nov 2021 9:42pm
Ratty43

United Kingdom 
buffalo4 wrote:
familymad ... he may be glamping Very Happy

With the best will in the world I don't think the 130 will ever be at that level, thank god.
Post #930034 16th Nov 2021 9:44pm
buffalo4

United Kingdom 
Looking great already Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #930037 16th Nov 2021 10:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>