Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Sound deadening - 90 Hardtop
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sepulchre

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Cairns Blue
Sound deadening - 90 Hardtop
Hi all,

I'm about to start sound deadening my 90 hardtop, I spoke with the guys over at the sound deadening shop who recommended the following

1 x https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/landr...ing-bundle
4 x https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/dodo-pro-barrier-mlv
8 x https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/silen...arge-sheet

This comes in at £440, before spending that much I just wanted to check if the quantities seem right with anyone who's done this previously or if I could save a few quid?

Thanks!
Post #961002 8th Aug 2022 1:45pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
its a good selection of kits.
i think a lot of these products all offer a very simliar result once fitted.
ive tried a few and cant tell them apart.

they all reduce noise and seem to slow heat transmission as well.

what you cant do is make the glass thicker or the engine quieter , well not on my td5.

i wouldnt bother with the foam as it didnt make a massive difference when we did a mates a while back (yes he used a noise meter to test it) but he did go overboard with it and 90-100% coverage.

he did the roof and door panels with little or no improvement bar the doors slammed a bit better.

footwell, seatbox and rear tub made the biggest improvement.with carpet and rubber mats on top it all helps.

noise meter are not to dear so it would be good to see how much better it is. im planning on measuring the next one i do.
Post #961011 8th Aug 2022 3:09pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
I don’t know if you can over do it, but done properly makes the cabin a much nicer place to be. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #961015 8th Aug 2022 3:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sepulchre

Thanks both, that's really helpful!

I forgot to say I'm also look at the Exmore trim carpets which states about fitting with sound deadening might cause fitment issues..

If anyone has advice on that front it would be appreciated
Post #961019 8th Aug 2022 3:56pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i think its time versus improvement in noise levels.
the foam makes refitting oe carpets harder for sure.
exmoor and lri ones need some trimming and plenty of spray glue to hold them in place without the extra foam layer.

if you were more local i could show you my td5 and a puma to see what you think.

bear in mind how much weight you are adding as we fitted 2 boxes to our 90 and i think 3+ on the 110 and it isnt light.
Post #961020 8th Aug 2022 4:04pm
Sepulchre

MDM - you say the exmore required trimming without the extra foam layer, does this mean with it that they should fit ok? I've not found anything clear on the web Sad

Weight - yes indeed, I had given that some thought - its a lot! But it gives me good reason for a stage 2 map Very Happy
Post #961022 8th Aug 2022 4:11pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
it will fit fine with the 2-3mm stuff but not so much with the foam as it depends on the brand that you buy and how think it is. we took off the backing on the gen carpets when we did the last one to give us a few more mm. the rubber stuff breaks up as it gets older as well but you can glue it on
Post #961025 8th Aug 2022 4:15pm
Sepulchre

thanks MDM, so ok with the silentcoat. I think I will silent coat everywhere first, do a test fit of the carpet and take it from there Thumbs Up
Post #961026 8th Aug 2022 4:23pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
I've soundproofed my 110 HT and am redoing it having learned a few things.

Remember the 2-3mm silent coat is not soundproofing. It stops panels vibrating which causes further noise but in itself it does not absorb or dampen sound. You only need to apply to something like 30-50% of the panel to stop the vibration, but I've just gone for full coverage to help cover panel gaps and holes etc.

For noise reduction you need one of the mass loaded vinyl sheets. There are many to choose from with various pros and cons. Some also help with heat insulation, others are purely for noise reduction. You absolutely do need the combination of both products so I agree with the advice from the Deadening guys.

I originally had no silent coat and then NK group sound matting with exmoor premium carpets. They weren't a perfect fit but good enough. The sides of the seat boxes were so close to the doors that there was no room for the soundproofing, just the carpet.

I have ripped it all out and put silent coat everywhere. Next stage is to have the dodo soundproofing applied to all panels and then new carpets. I'm having this professionally fitted as I'd just make a hash of it.

I agree with the sentiment from an earlier reply about the noisy engine being the source of the problem. Unless you whip out the dashboard and seal every seam and hole and then add some proper sound barrier, you are fighting a rearguard defence because you already let the enemy into your truck cab!

I also heard good results about using thick sound absorbent material under the bonnet. I'll be doing all these things in time...

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Post #961034 8th Aug 2022 6:21pm
Sepulchre

Thanks Andy,

Yes I plan on a 2 stage approach plus carpets, I'm only going with silent coat to begin with so I can test fit the carpets to see how much room I have to play with, then I will use either of the other products I listed depending upon location and if I can do so whilst still getting the carpet to fit.

Under bonnet I have the silent coat kit ordered up Thumbs Up

I'll post pictures along the way, need to work out reverse cameras and speaker cable for a double din I'm yet to purchase, so lots to think about Smile
Post #961043 8th Aug 2022 7:28pm
Snowy90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
Hi

Andy has hit the nail on the head, you ideally need silent coat on the large panels and then cover everything with a loaded vinyl.

You can get it a fair way up the bulkhead but clearly its a dash out if you want to do it all, but alot of noise and vibration comes from the footwells and behind the pedals etc... I also used an accoustic sealant to seal the gaps wherever i could.

The seat boxes make a huge difference, but anything over 2mm and i think most carpet kits will start to struggle for me its mainly on the corners and not reaching the B post. but i managed just to be able to do it with the LRI carpet kit.

I used https://www.soundstop.co.uk/ZTECSO50S.php Tecsound 50 the self adhesive version its both sound deadener and vinbration damper and about 2.6 mm thick.

Click image to enlarge

Made a noticeable difference
Post #961230 10th Aug 2022 10:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1