↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > The german big black 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
roamfree

Germany 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
It's been a while, so about time for an update! In the last two months quite a bit happend, so let's get going!

I...

..hit a milestone - still hurts a bit loading kilometres on this bad boy, but if it's not for driving what is it for?!

Click image to enlarge

...had to fight some corrosion

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

...did some beauty shots

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

...upholstered the cubbybox cover after falling in love with the material because friends of mine did redo their rear door card with it. *not jealous at all there Rolling Eyes*

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I think it look quite the part, doesn't it?! No I will only need to dye that seat cover black Very Happy

...did change the transfer case oil. This one was actually high up on my list. I have a leak somewhere in the transfer box. Actually there probably are multiples. I have some oil in the handbrake drum, and also coming somewhere from the front of the transfer case.

Click image to enlarge

Since the last oil change was nearly a year ago and there constantly were some drops of oil under the car I was getting quite worried about the amount of actual oil left in the thing.

Turns out that was very much warranted, only about 2 liters remained in the transfer case by now.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There was a bit of metallic residue with a few bigger pieces. Honestly I have no idea if this is worrisome and I should start saving for a new transfer case or if this is totally fine. Maybe some more knowledgable forum members can shine a light on that? Whistle

Then I had quite the setback, it appears after I fixed all the leaking from the alpine windows and cappings, that now the roof itself decided to leak, resulting in wet carpets and water in the car once more Big Cry

But that will have to wait till after the vacation. In preparation for that there was some new addition to the big Censored :

Old 'new' rear ladder, kindly donated by an ex-defender owner and upcycled with some trusty Korrux paint.

Click image to enlarge

New awning, so we can have our coffee without being soaked or burned by the sun Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Extended family already used the occasion while I did the transfer case oil change to try out the new setup

Click image to enlarge

Last preparations for the vacation then were a service of the aircon, specifically refilling the coolant. I very much missed a working aircon when travling to various festivals this summer, now I decided I wouldn't be burned alive on the motorway once more. So my legs instead don't get freeze dried this time around I got myself some heat deflector. Couldn't bring myself to drill, so now it lives held on by double sided tape. I am curious to see if it will survive the upcoming vacation this way.

Well, turns out all of this wouldn't have been needed, Denmark is gonna provide the best of rain weather for us next week! Better prepared than sorry I guess Rolling with laughter

I also got myself a crafter/sprinter jack, since I had to notice, that the LR spindle jack will no longer work on my Defender, at least not for the front. The bolts that hold the mounting plate for the winch cover up the jack holes under the front bumper. Let's hope I won't have to test the new jack for functionality any time soon!

That concludes my summary of the last two months. In this period the big black was at the shop only twice! What an accomplishment... First time around the brakes where seizing up, second time around it was only the air con service luckily. I kind of fear that I soon might be back to the mechanics though, might be imagination or not, but I think I overheard some more brake noises... Might be because I drive way to little...

Anyhow, I will keep you all posted what the time brings Thumbs Up

Last edited by roamfree on 30th Jul 2022 9:56am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #960008 29th Jul 2022 11:58pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Unfortunately the transfer boxes on Pumas do not seem to last as long as they did on the predecessors.
There could be several reasons to why. The Puma has very high cyclic loads, and perhaps made worse by the thicker, hence stiffer half shafts.

The oil leak from the front (if by front you mean the face where it mates with the gearbox adaptor housing) is generally caused by the intermediate shaft O ring that looses its ability to seal as it sets to a squarish profile over time.

However there is also a possibility that the hole for the intermediate shaft in the aluminium casing to go oval and a new O ring would not solve the leak. But there are also upgrades for that - just google "LT230 sleeve casing" either by getting a modified casing, or getting just the sleeve and modifying your case and installing locally. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #960015 30th Jul 2022 7:08am
Honeyman

Netherlands 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Sumatra Black
If it’s any consolation, this is what the drain plug on mine looked like yesterday….

Click image to enlarge
 2011MY 130 HCPU: daily driver
1979MY RRC 2-door: on the drive, in the garage & in a shed - all at the same time.
Post #960026 30th Jul 2022 10:39am
roamfree

My condolences honey man, that looks bad indeed! Guess I was lucky after all 😆

Hope yours will be fine!
Post #960214 1st Aug 2022 4:34pm
Honeyman

Netherlands 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Sumatra Black
Thanks! It will be fine eventually - made a start at least

Click image to enlarge
 2011MY 130 HCPU: daily driver
1979MY RRC 2-door: on the drive, in the garage & in a shed - all at the same time.
Post #960227 1st Aug 2022 5:50pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
/\ I think its possible for these things to be fine eventually, after much, time, effort and money.

Assuming of course you set the bar very low as to what fine is Rolling with laughter
Post #960245 1st Aug 2022 7:37pm
roamfree

It's been a while! Just as with every Defender there have been countless ups and downs this past one and a half years. All in all I am quite happy with the big black, but there are of course the next problems looming on the horizon. But before we get into the nitty gritty let's enjoy the more pleasurable experiences of 2023:

It starts with travel preparations in May:

Click image to enlarge

U-Joints in the front were due

While it was up on the lift, I noticed that it was leaking from the transfer case...

Click image to enlarge

Defender on the lift

So the front output flange and corresponding seal was changed...

Click image to enlarge

New front output flange of the transfer case

... that helped a ton, but still the transfer case is not 100% dry.

A bigger journey was upcoming so fluids were in order:

Click image to enlarge

changing the front diff oil, and violating the new diff guard in the process

Since we wanted to drive in convoy, a radio was needed. But where to place the antenna? I didn't want to do any drilling... so a custom mount was to be fabricated:

Click image to enlarge

custom antenna mount in the making

Click image to enlarge

finaly product and freshly mounted antenna

And on the journey went:

Click image to enlarge

western alps 1

Click image to enlarge

western alps 2

Click image to enlarge

Denmark

Click image to enlarge

Norway

And of course it wouldn't be a defender without a water leak, what a way to start 2024!

Click image to enlarge

leak 1

But I don't think it was this clean since August, so thats something I guess Laughing

Click image to enlarge

leak 2

Currently dismounted the rack since I have some corrosion on the alpines and was thinking of tackling it. But I might wait till summer honestly...

Click image to enlarge

a clean Defender in the city

I gotta say though, I kind of love the clean aesthetic of the defender without the roof rack.
Post #1025242 19th Feb 2024 10:08pm
L110CDL

England 
Thank you for your update and the pics on " big black " great your still enjoying defender life and it wouldn't be the same if you were not tinkering on it Wink
Hope you get the water leaks sorted this year Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1025246 19th Feb 2024 10:26pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Looks good! first time I’ve seen your thread, there is always something to do with a Defender, the works never ends. Laughing Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #1025257 20th Feb 2024 12:05am
Waka56

Germany 
Nice big black! Got a big white recently, which needs a fair bit of work. Might see you around in Hamburg Smile Making my Defender great again. (Or trying to at least xD)
Post #1028894 21st Mar 2024 7:41pm
roamfree

Thanks folks!

The water leak indeed seems to be sorted for now @L11CDL. Lets pray that it stays that way, Hamburg is showing itself in its greatest glory again at the moment.

However I seem to have some corrosion on the alpines which will need fixing... and thereby possibly needing to respray the whole roof. Guess there's always something, just as you said @custom90!

Speaking of things that need fixing: Three weeks ago the ignition switch decided to die, so that needed sorting:

Click image to enlarge

With the steering wheel off I decided to finally mount that christmas gift and get rid of that ugly Raid logo:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The wire-loom for the rear passenger doors was broken and thus my central locking was done for. So that was the next job that I tackled.

Click image to enlarge

Unsure about the alpines, but besides those I really hope that this is it with major suprises this year. I would love to spend the money on some fine new upgrades instead of repairs for a change Laughing

@Waka I'll keep my eyes open! Always happy to connect to other Defender drivers Thumbs Up
Post #1029643 28th Mar 2024 6:16pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice bit of maintenance work your carrying out on the 110 Thumbs Up

You have to be patient with finding the money to spend on upgrades, that time will come one day for you Wink Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1029678 28th Mar 2024 10:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12