Home > My Defender > The german big black 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
roamfree

Germany 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
The german big black 110

Click image to enlarge

Hi there, my name is Felix and in may of 2021 I finally joined the noble club of defender owners. Since I've had the pleasure of enjoying the ups and downs in the life of anyone driving a beauty from Sulihull. I have been lurking ever since I got the big black and now finally made the decision to register and become part of the family.

The big black is a 2009 puma,110 wheelbase in Santorini Black. I met it for the first time in late april of 2021 and after some back and forth it was finally time I get to drive him home on may 5th. Well, what can I say, I didn't even make it home. He got me there about 80% of the way, but after about 42km the clutch way gone and I had to take the yellow cab to the next mechanic.

As if this was some kind of foreshadowing, I ever since had quite a bit of trouble with the big boy.

On the first inspection it was discovered that I need to do the brakes front, it needed new swivel balls, new track rod, new brake lines and and and...

A few months after that I discovered that the rear door had been tinkered with in the past and that it was botched. It had been welded and they didn't seal the seams properly afterwards, so it started to rust out.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I had to take out the rear window and treated the rust as good as was possible for me. Upon refitting the rear window I tore the window seal... great, ordered a new one and assembly went fine this time around... or so I thought.

Fast forward a month and I took the big black offroading for the first time. Nothing too serious but it was a nice parcours and I could dip my toe into the water with an instructor overseeing the whole thing. After the last water crossing of the day, I parked the big black and went on to see how the others were managing the water crossing. I come back to big black maybe half an hour later and lo and behold: the rear window had shattered!

Click image to enlarge

Guess I had put to much strain on the window when refitted?

Since then I had quite a few more pains to deal with: egr valve had to be replaced, some water leaks, new maf and map sensors... but at least nothing mayor.

Click image to enlarge

Now though the clutch is starting to rattle and will need doing soon. Also we had quite bad weather here this month and I noticed I had several water leaks, so that will need doing as well. But I guess that's just the life I choose, as it never gets boring with these beauties, does it?
Post #938407 19th Jan 2022 10:42pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Welcome, one bit of advice don’t build a todo list, it never goes down only gets bigger, but they are great vehicles and I see yours is teaching you who is the boss Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #938423 20th Jan 2022 12:15am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Thats a very clean, smart looking Defender Thumbs Up

Regarding the rear door, and the shattered glass, I see in one of the pics that there was some welding and the edge is not so smooth? I do not know if I see correctly. FYI, tempered glass is very strong, difficult to break if you hit it perpendicular to the surface, however it is extremely weak if stress is applied on the edge. The seal is kind of an H profile, and there should be rubber between the door flange and the edge of the glass. But if there are sharp projections in the metal, I guess would be easy to perforate through the rubber and apply point stress on the edge of the glass. So make sure you file the edge of the door flange smooth before installing a new glass. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #938435 20th Jan 2022 7:47am
L110CDL

England 
Welcome Felix with a nice 110 you got there and your joining in well with defender ownership Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #938737 21st Jan 2022 9:52pm
roamfree

Race.it wrote:
Welcome, one bit of advice don’t build a todo list, it never goes down only gets bigger, but they are great vehicles and I see yours is teaching you who is the boss

Yes, that is good advice haha! I really should take that to the heart, but I am afraid it's already to late for that... Laughing

Dinnu wrote:
I guess would be easy to perforate through the rubber and apply point stress on the edge of the glass. So make sure you file the edge of the door flange smooth before installing a new glass.

Yes I did grind it down quite a bit and there was no damage to the rubber seal whatsoever! However, with the added stress of offroading it might very much have been it... Though luckily I have been fine since, let's hope I stays that way!

Click image to enlarge

L110CDL wrote:

Welcome Felix with a nice 110 you got there and your joining in well with defender ownership Thumbs Up

Thanks man, much appreciated!

On the weekend I sadly noticed that I have had a water leak in the rear left of the Defender an that water had pooled up under the carpet... so I guess that's the job for the next weekend sorted out.

Click image to enlarge

While removing the rear door sill of course I broke 4 out of 7 screws... I hope I can get them out with a pair of pliers and some luck, because I don't feel like drilling them out will be an easy task. Let's hope for the best!

While at it I also removed the number plate holder, which sadly is mounted to the rear cross member, which I plan on respraying with Brantho Kurrox nitrofest.

Click image to enlarge

Let's just say I was very much impressed with the wiring work the previous owner had done Rolling Eyes
Post #939276 24th Jan 2022 9:03pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Oh.... Shocked Now that is "special" wiring Rolling with laughter

Wow, haven't seen such a half arsed wiring bodge since my Step Father moved to Canada Rolling with laughter
Post #939278 24th Jan 2022 9:08pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Welkom to zee club, also from Gerrmany Very Happy
I'd "talk" to the previous owner about his negligence... Evil or Very Mad
Good thing is: it seems as if you've done most of the "usual" fixes already.

What region are you living in? (I live between BS and GS)
Post #939295 24th Jan 2022 10:09pm
roamfree

macfrank wrote:
Welkom to zee club, also from Gerrmany Very Happy
I'd "talk" to the previous owner about his negligence... Evil or Very Mad
Good thing is: it seems as if you've done most of the "usual" fixes already.

What region are you living in? (I live between BS and GS)

Thanks man!

Heck, I would love to have a chat with that bloke as well! There is quite a bit of stuff messed up with the car... While I am not a mechanic myself, even I see that things could have been done better. My favorite so far? A freakin piece of wood in the air intake for the heater! Like why?! Laughing

Click image to enlarge

I am from the greater Hamburg area Thumbs Up
Post #939313 24th Jan 2022 10:54pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
perhaps the previous owner thought it was the ideal place to store a wheel chock, I would look on the other side to see if there is a matching one in that wing Very Happy
Post #939323 25th Jan 2022 12:16am
roamfree

February saw quite some work for the big black. First step to strip the carpet after the water disaster in January. Now parked in a watertight spot and emptied out I could get to finding those leaks:

Click image to enlarge

After some fun with the water hose I found leaks on the skylights and the cappings. But nothing a little Sika couldn't fix luckily!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I got to say I way a bit nervous but in the end I think I am quite pleased with the result:

Click image to enlarge

Sadly I couldn't save the rear door sill. I had to order a new stainless one from Nakatanenga. They promote it as having slightly offset holes, which I need since I could not manage to drill out the snapped old ones. Bloody Censored lied though, the new rear door sill had the exact same hole dimensions as the old one... With a bit of fiddeling that could be sorted out. Lucky me.

As it was getting late and I need to drop of the big black at the workshop I didn't put in the carpet correctly and will need to get that sorted. Before it went off though I had to use the opportunity and respray the rear crossmember:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Currently the big black is in the workshop getting new tie rod end fitted after they missed them the last time Whistle They notified my that my rear propshaft uj's need doing, so I already ordered the parts and got my job cut out for me this weekend. Currently I ask myself if I have spent more time working on the car than actually driving it. Might be better with those diesel prices Rolling with laughter
Post #945204 9th Mar 2022 8:41pm
L110CDL

England 
Great work your doing on the 110, all this work will be better in the end as you will be driving it more than working on it Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #945214 9th Mar 2022 10:03pm
roamfree

It's been a while since the last update, so let me tell you what I have been up to and what the big black has thrown at me in the last months!

After finally having a (somewhat) waterproof car I sent the Defender over to my mechanic to do the annual service. It was noted that the track rods and uj's in the rear prop shaft were due for change. Since the track rods were still under guarantee after having been replaced only a bit over a year ago I was planning on getting that done by the workshop.
I had since switched my garages, so I had to pick up the car and get it other to the old garage that did the changing of the track rod ends before. Meanwhile I ordered new UJs, since I planned on doing these myself, didn't look to difficult in the videos. Boy was I wrong. But more on that later...

So the old garage basically told me the track rod ends were just rusty (S***part Rolling Eyes ) on the outside and were actually fine. They also told me they refurbished the one coming from the steering drop arm. Now not being an expert I just choose to believe them and went on to take care of the UJs.

Click image to enlarge

Defender rolling in to my 'workshop'

Removing propshaft was no problem and the first UJ went just fine:

Click image to enlarge

But the second one I was really struggling with. First the old uj jamed when I tried to push it out. After that was overcome I did fit the new one. But it just didn't quite fit. I could get the circlip in, but everytime I did, the uj just became super hard to move. So hard, I actually didn't want to risk mounting the propshaft that way... Frustration was stetting in.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Measuring the old and new ujs, the new one came in a fraction of a millimetre wider

At one point I was seriously doubting if I had ordered the right uj for the propshaft. But they were close enough in dimension and the part numbers were right. So where was I going wrong? I pressed out the new uj again at one point, sadly damaging the sealing cap... Rolling Eyes Anyway, after a lot of back and forth and some convincing with the hammer, I decided to just go for it. So diff lock engage I drove over to some Landy friends to get a propshaft tool to be able to properly torque on the bolts.

Click image to enlarge

Of course, parking rules were happily obliged!

Click image to enlarge

The jacked up Defender barely had a centimeter left before touching the ceiling of the garage

So after two weekends, lots of swearing and back and forth, the propshaft finally went back in. And to my surprise everything was actually fine. Bow down

Click image to enlarge

All new and shiny!

Besides there were only some minor jobs done. In loose order:

Click image to enlarge

Hood came of for some new bushes in the hinges

Click image to enlarge

Touched up some paint where the A-bar rubbed against the plastic. I will need to get a new radiator grill eventually

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Played with some 3d printing, since I want to replace my simple rocker switch for the winch with a proper oem switch and I want some nice bezel for it

And fiiiiinally after over a year with the Defender: I have the correct number plate format! I just could bare the old one any longer Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Next jobs a piling up fast though... I need to get the track rod ends sorted, because frankly my old garage just screwed my over on those. They are toast and they probably knew it, just didn't want to align the track... After all those were 10 euro britpart track rods, so it can't have been about the money for parts... Still need to decide if that is something I actually wanna tackle myself or let the garage handle.

Also, my rear shocks seem to be done. I have a metal on metal clonk everytime I drive through a hole or jump a bit in the rear compartment. Might be shocks themselves or just the bushes. Not sure, and I don't know how to tell the difference.

Furthermore I am basically just waiting for the clutch to fail, since I have the rattle of death. Gonna be an expensive summer I guess Whistle
Post #953400 23rd May 2022 10:56pm
roamfree

While relocating the number plate lighting, I removed the trim on both sides of the rear door. While in there I noticed that I have a badly corroded plug which I couldn't quite tell what it was for. Maybe someone more knowledgable than I would know? This is the rear right hand side cable harness coming up from the chassis into the interior:

Click image to enlarge
Post #953401 23rd May 2022 11:01pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Plug on the right side is prob the 12v supply that’s there.

As for the track rod get the kit from Gwyn Lewis “sumo bars” with the new joints and have a go. I recently did mine they were not that hard to change, main issue I had was having to purchase the spanners in sizes I did not have before. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #953489 24th May 2022 3:13pm
L110CDL

England 
Thank you for the update Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #953718 26th May 2022 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>