↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Assembling an in-car toolkit, advice welcome.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

Assembling an in-car toolkit, advice welcome.
Hi folks.

After getting caught out for the sake of a spanner I’ve decided to put together a little toolkit for the 2010 90 SW.

I’ll point out at the offset that my other land rovers are all Series vehicles, in which I know every nut and bolt. They each already have comprehensive toolkits and spares on board - so I’m used to thinking of tools for every eventuality to get me back on the road.

But my Puma is different. I don’t know it as well and it would be pointless having a similar, every eventuality kit on board as frankly if I couldn’t easily fix it in an hour (two hours if abroad) then I’d just call the AA.

So I’m looking for a much more simple kit, tailored to common issues. I do a bit of 3D modelling and CNC work so I’ll most likely buy a nicely fitting steel box or a Peli Case-clone and will either print/cut or shadow-foam a nice liner for that OEM feel. Yes - utmost geekery. This will be more for European touring than off road events or over landing.

But what to include?

Obviously a Jack, chock, wheelbrace. I have these already.

I also have a Genuine LR warning triangle, a 2kg extinguisher, a tow strap and a set of bulbs.

But it’s the hand tools I’m interested in.

As a starter for 10 Land Rover did offer a neat little kit, STC8244AB - see https://www.autoboerderij.nl/product/stc82...nge-rover/

It seems to contain:

1) a pair of work gloves
2) a pair of water pump pliers
3) a pair of linesman pliers
4) a reversible screwdriver with a second 90-degree Philips blade (for leverage?)
5) a 3/8” T-bar
6) two socket extensions
7) four sockets (unknown sizes)
Coola spark plug socket (quite why these days, I don’t know)
9) four combination spanners (unknown sizes, presumably matching the sockets)
10) a roll of insulation tape
11) some other tool - is that a spark plug capper?

Now it goes without saying that even if I had such a kit and even if I could move past the (seemingly) Petrol focussed tools, that I still wouldn’t use it - I’ve had Land Rover branded hand tools before and they’re like something from Poundland.

But using the above as inspiration for the sense of scale of a kit I’m considering, would anyone be willing to help put a list together? Obviously thinks like common spanner sizes would be helpful.

There’s a few obvious things like Torx bits and maybe a nice small engineer’s hammer and maybe a small roll of duck tape. If I ever had the vehicle remapped I thing I’d consider one of BAS RRC tools for diagnostics too.

Once the list is together I’ll put the kit together from high quality tools - most likely from one brand (I have enough duplicates of most things) and will make up the custom case for them.

Really appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Post #957967 12th Jul 2022 12:10am
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
I find the Halfords tool box has everything I need - it’s always in the boot in its heavy duty plastic box. Wait until it’s on offer, usually around Christmas time and you’ll get the 175 piece kit for £99. It has everything you should need for roadside repair and/or full on repairs. Lifetime guarantee on the tools also.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/...gIpBPD_BwE 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #957968 12th Jul 2022 1:09am
custom90

United Kingdom 
One thing to remember, when you have these tools I would suggest you don’t use your best tools or store them aka valuable and use cheaper tools that’ll do the job if you can.

Otherwise it’s just another attractive item to grow legs that need not do so.

Choose whatever you like to carry, I take most things myself but more valuable tools I’d keep out of there where you can and stick to the basics and value tools.

At least then it’s less attractive, and worse case scenario not more items worth £ that goes missing if you follow my drift.

So if you have a £xxx spanner set, and a £xx value set that does the same job if you needed it, keep the latter in there.

Security marking items can be worth doing too with various methods, but just something to bear in mind.
It has been known for the unscrupulous to break in to get hold of these items just for the sake of tools.
The same can be said for the typical white works van, it’s been very common the last few years. Rolling Eyes Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #958029 12th Jul 2022 3:51pm
Gasket

thanks both - good point too Steve.

I have actually been planning on putting together my kit from mainly Halfords Advanced/Professional tools (great minds Very Happy ). I have loads of these and have bought a few kits like the one above over the years so have multiples of most things. I'll fill the gap with Elora.

I like them for their quality but they're also cheap and easily replaceable.

Part of the reason I'm looking to put together such a concise kit is so that I can store it under the seats.
Post #958048 12th Jul 2022 6:30pm
BrickBox

I find that with the rubber boot mat, the Halfords tool set case blends in really well, that it’s actually hard to make out looking thorough the window. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #958059 12th Jul 2022 7:21pm
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
Hey if you do see this for sale at £99 do us a flavour and shout up please!

BrickBox wrote:
I find the Halfords tool box has everything I need - it’s always in the boot in its heavy duty plastic box. Wait until it’s on offer, usually around Christmas time and you’ll get the 175 piece kit for £99. It has everything you should need for roadside repair and/or full on repairs. Lifetime guarantee on the tools also.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/...gIpBPD_BwE
Post #958085 12th Jul 2022 9:37pm
Honeyman

Netherlands 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Sumatra Black
One thing that I find useful since having the puma is a cheap ¼” drive socket and bit set. Initially I got it for working on the engine ancillaries (EGR, VCV glow-plugs etc) where my 1/2” stuff just wouldn’t fit in the space available. Now find it indispensable for most things where I’d have used screw- or torx-drivers (interior trim etc…). Stays in the car permanently now in a seat pocket.

A 36mm slimline spanner for the viscous fan is also one that stays in the car now, in addition to the generic stuff.

Click image to enlarge
 2011MY 130 HCPU: daily driver
1979MY RRC 2-door: on the drive, in the garage & in a shed - all at the same time.
Post #958112 13th Jul 2022 9:02am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
An AA Membership card… Whistle Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #958123 13th Jul 2022 10:13am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Where did you but a 36mm slim line spanner and why/when did you need it?
Post #958128 13th Jul 2022 10:28am
Honeyman

Netherlands 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Sumatra Black
Hi Merlin,

The 36mm has one use (at the moment!): loosening the viscous fan nut without the use of a special tool to stop the drive pulley from turning. If you give the handle end of the spanner a sharp oblique tap with a hammer, the nut loosens (most of the time) without the pulley turning. Then the fan can be spun off. Makes life easier to get access to the ancillary drive belt, pulleys, idlers etc. I realized that it’s not much use carrying a spare belt if I can’t get the fan off Rolling Eyes

The make is Gedore - I just bought it online, can’t remember where from (although it would have been in the Netherlands). It’s not particularly slim, still ½”, but doesn’t chew up the back of the coupling like the bahco adjustable I used once before - a bit more wiggle room front and back. If you wanted to use the pulley locking tool as well, then you’d maybe have to grind it thinner. 2011MY 130 HCPU: daily driver
1979MY RRC 2-door: on the drive, in the garage & in a shed - all at the same time.
Post #958130 13th Jul 2022 10:56am
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
How about some spares also? I know you have the bulbs but anything else - I carry an EGR valve.
Also some engine oil might come in handy.

In terms of common spanner sizes, I would defo have 10mm, 13mm, 17mm, 19mm and 22mm and a 50mm hub bolt socket

Why do you need a spark plug socket? Thought all Pumas were diesel
Post #958149 13th Jul 2022 1:16pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
I’ve carried a set of Snap-On jump leads and a tow rope around for years, used many times when you stumble over someone in distress, especially as winter hits. Thumbs Up Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #958154 13th Jul 2022 2:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BrickBox

My permanent in-car carry kit is a little excessive… 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #958155 13th Jul 2022 2:25pm
spudfan

Ireland 
It all depends on your capabilities. At home I have various sockets both AF and metric. As a travelling set I just have some scerwdrivers both flat and star, a water pump pliers and smaller pliers, long nose and normal. Allen and torx keys. That usually handles the minor things like bulb changes. For the Puma top brake light you need a screwdriver with a torx end on it.I got my daughter one of these to carry in her Defender 90. It has the basics.

Click image to enlarge
 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #958159 13th Jul 2022 3:09pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
I can almost guarantee that whatever tools or spares you carry, when you break down and need them you will not have the one you need. Big Cry

Breakdown recover is always handy.
Post #958164 13th Jul 2022 4:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>