↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Really sluggish acceleration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
andylee

United Kingdom 
Its a long shot and you might of checked this already but is the air filter itself ok ? If its got wet it could be strangling the airflow so you could check/remove it then check all the air ducts check that ones not collapsed internally and blocking the engines ability to breath….check the intercooler is not blocked internally with a pressure test…keep plugging away I feel your pain….it will work again…and when it does you’ll be glad you didn't burn it in a field…. 🔥

For peace of mind it might also be worth getting someone like Alive Tuning to check the ECU isn’t at fault.
Post #945038 8th Mar 2022 12:26pm
Jordan

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Stornoway Grey
Thanks, the filter was replaced very recently at the service, but I noted that there was no pipe connecting the air box to the wing (snorkel fitted) I will take it out and have a look.
Post #945040 8th Mar 2022 12:44pm
Jordan

Air filter all good. Is there any way to check the second stage of the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator to see if that side is working?
Post #945096 8th Mar 2022 8:29pm
ajps72

2001 Defender 110 Td5 SW Chawton White
DO you have a Nanocom or some Scanner, I just saw a friend with the transfer box switch locked even with the lever on HIGH, it turns the pedal feel really sluggish. Augusto

Defender 110 TD5 2001
Discovery 4 TDV6
Post #945121 9th Mar 2022 3:07am
Jordan

So update.

I found that intercooler pipe work was not overly tight. Cleaned them all up and fitted new jubilee clips, this got the boost up a little. But today I used a sniffer to test the coolant and looks like the head gasket has failed, so hoping that will cure all the issues.
Post #945573 12th Mar 2022 7:46pm
Jordan

So the TD5 has been in the garage for a good few weeks, the head has been removed and pressure tested and thankfully no leaks, it has been skimmed a little just to clean up the face, the exhaust manifold has also been skimmed as this was banana shaped.
The garage informs me that the head had been off very recently and looks to have not been tightened correctly, they also found the cam timing out by one tooth.

Hopefully this will sort out all the issues I had.
Post #950737 27th Apr 2022 1:31pm
Jordan

Final update and resolution.

After all the above, and then new tank fuel pump, then new turbo and finally brand new injectors the TD5 is now flying, I can actually cruise at 60mph without having the foot planted to the floor and I don’t have to wait for a mile long gap in traffic to pull out of a junction.
Post #952991 19th May 2022 8:43pm
andylee

United Kingdom 
Result.......enjoy
Post #952994 19th May 2022 8:57pm
TommyL

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Hi Jordan. I have exactly the same problem as you where having with your td5, how you described it matches exactly whats happening with mine.

What made the biggest difference? Or was it a combination of everything?

Cheers.
Post #1025234 19th Feb 2024 9:51pm
thewrongspeed

Scotland 2000 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Epsom Green
Hey Tommy, if you've access to diagnostics (or local garage that can run them for you) it'd likely be worth running those before you start shelling out on replacement parts. My early TD5 90 was incredibly underpowered when I picked it up - turned out that it was in limp home mode because 3 air flow sensors had all gone pop for some reason. Pretty cheap to resolve - but still none the wiser why the 3 sensors had all died in the first place
Post #1025378 20th Feb 2024 9:47pm
TommyL

You are right I don't want to just start throwing money at new parts. I have had a few of the things mentioned on here done, It's recently had a new MAF sensor which slightly improved the power but it still doesn't seem to get going. My garage said they had a look through the fuel system and changed the filters, I'm unsure if the injectors have been checked, but I did check the wastegate actuator and that seems to be free.

As for diagnostics I assumed that my garage would have plugged it in but I didn't see the results. I'm thinking my next move is to take it to a 4x4 garage who specialize in defenders and see if they can put their finger on it.
Post #1025389 20th Feb 2024 11:19pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I seriously doubt your garage would have done anything else then check the fault codes and clear any that are there I am afraid. For them it is better to throw parts at the problem.

I also doubt that your injectors are bad, they seem to be utterly bomb proof in the TD5. The only thing worth doing with relation to these are a fresh set of copper sealing washers (NOT cheap steel ones, if the washers are magnetic throw them away and make sure the washers are warm before fitting too) and a sealed injector harness.

As a first step to solving your problem change all the oils and filters with quality items. Whilst you are doing the service take out the sensors and clean them all with electronics cleaner (let them air dry before fitting). Check that the brakes are not binding by jacking up the wheels and rotating them, I doubt it is this because if they were you'd smell hot brake pads.

Put an all points notice out local to you to see if any forumite has a Nanocom you can borrow for a weekend to check it out yourself.

You are looking to see if the cylinder balancing is consistent and low single numbers. The MAF needs to be between 55-60 at idle. If the value reads something else it is faulty. The MAP sensor supplies the boost pressure value and if standard it should be around 15psi (1 bar). If you are not getting to that pressure then check the waste gate, intercooler and hoses. The ambient temp sensor (air box) should be close to air temperature. If your vehicle starts fine then the crank position sensor is likely to be fine. If these all check out to be fine then

When it comes down to it if all of the above checks out fine and the vehicle still feels low on power through the rev range and not just a portion of that range (like boost lag or a flat spot) then I would be checking the fuel system. Fuel pressure at the regulator, corrosion and leaks at the fuel filter and if the fuel pump is working. The TD5 will start with a faulty fuel pump. If you replace the pump ONLY fit a VDO or Genuine item do not fit any other brand.

Other things to consider are have you recently changed gear ratios or gone up in tyre size as these can have dramatic effects on the spritelyness of a TD5.
Post #1025429 21st Feb 2024 10:23am
TommyL

Thanks for the advice, I will go through and try to tick those jobs off before I throw any money on big parts.
Post #1025697 23rd Feb 2024 12:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234