↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Dead defender help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
110 Iain

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Chawton White
Dead defender help
Dead defender latest issue went to start this morning turn key dash illuminates but won't turn over no clicks nothing swapped relays under seat no change can't hear or feel click from relaychecked battery also tried jump pack
Thinking ignition switch any thoughts frustrating car running fine when parked. Now dead only transport so keen to get going the evening any advice appreciated iain Endeavour To Persevere
Post #946885 24th Mar 2022 4:21pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Check the basics like earth... Also have a read of this thread paying particular attention to martins post of page 7

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic47486-90.html

Martin wrote:
If the rpm needle moves during cranking it probably isn’t the crank sensor.

The "shunt" is actually a bypass of the wiring of the immobiliser comms link through the instrument pack.

Land Rover did this themselves when the 2.2 was introduced.

You need to access the instrument pack connector, remove it and make a temporary link between pins 3 and 4 with the likes of a straightened out plain metal paper clip.

If it now fires, your problem is the immobiliser link and you have two options:

Send the instrument pack for repair of the soldering of the socket to the PCB (I can do this for you through my business) - or do it yourself if capable Smile

Alternatively dismantle the connector and remove pins 3 and 4 (light green and grey wires to both) and join them permanently. Or if you like, cut the light green and grey wires where they enter the connector and join the loom sides together permanently, bypassing the cluster.

This makes the comms link between the 10AS alarm/immobiliser and the ECU a single wire without the instrument pack in the circuit (as per the 2.2).

The instrument pack will now log a fault if diagnosed as it does not see an incoming signal from the immobiliser, but this does not affect the instrument pack or vehicle operation whatsoever.

Also I feel this is NOT a security issue as the immobiliser itself is not bypassed, and this factory design of "in and out" wiring via the instrument pack only means that the engine won’t start if the instrument pack is missing.

However a missing instrument pack would be no problem for a thief as bridging 3 and 4 (on the now easily accessible connector) restores the link, which is clear from the wiring diagrams.

I fixed a 2010MY basic spec Puma with this issue last week. It would crank, and the RPM needle moved, but an signal tester showed the ECU wasn’t firing the injectors at all. Bridging 3 and 4 allowed it to start straight away Cool
 > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #946886 24th Mar 2022 4:40pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello 110 Iain

Could still be your ignition switch... from my (limited) experience of a similar problem
(all be it an intermittent starting problem).

Full Dash illumination on Second positioning of key turn, then glow plug light goes out
Third position of key turn... = nothing (No relay or starter motor sound...nothing) culprit...
Lucus Ignition Switch Shocked

When you've been through this issue and proved 100% the fault and then see what appears to be the same or a very similar issue there is a tendency to assume it must be the same problem... but maybe not Exclamation

For the money (£10-80 depending on you choice of suppliers) + a reasonably fiddley job you would then know and potentially rule out the more expensive items...

I now carry a spare as my original lasted to 30K

Good Luck... Thumbs Up SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #946888 24th Mar 2022 4:45pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
If you have central locking and key fob, try changing the battery in the fob.
A long shot but a simple job.
Post #946890 24th Mar 2022 5:04pm
110 Iain

Thank for replys guys its a basic spec utility ino alarm or central locking replaced all earth cables about a moth ago starter about a year old bizzar how it can stop working overnight with no warning any fuses I should check car stuck up a steep driveway so can't bump at moment bit worried about taking it out on street incase I get it stranded Endeavour To Persevere
Post #946894 24th Mar 2022 5:23pm
110 Iain

Update
Changed ignition switch tonight same won't engage starter when I turn to run position on switch and touch relays under drivers seat they are clicking is it possible starter motor can just pack in without giving any warning problems not sure how to test it Endeavour To Persevere
Post #946911 24th Mar 2022 8:32pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Give the starter solenoid a few taps of the hammer.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #946935 24th Mar 2022 10:23pm
Bradders130

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Indus Silver
Hi 110 Iain, have you had any more joy with this? I have a similar problem with the engine turning over and firing, but then nothing, on my 2012 Puma.
I had a very interesting conversation yesterday with Ian from Remote Key who said that the black box AS10 immobiliser ECU, which replaced the green one, is awful and very unreliable. It’s another line of enquiry for you, and he does a replacement, for a price obviously. There seems to be an awful lot of owners on here who have similar issues with the AS10, IPAC or ignition switch being the culprit. A cold joint on the IPAC seems to be favourite.
Post #951730 6th May 2022 4:24am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Problems disarming the Passive Immobilizer can cause these symptoms. An easy test is to disable the PI and see if that helps (using Nanocom or similar).
Post #951791 6th May 2022 2:16pm
Bradders130

Brilliant plan, thanks Blackwood. I’m going to try that next week when I get home - currently on holiday in Scotland.
Post #951794 6th May 2022 2:40pm
Bradders130

Blackwolf - sorry, my bad. Damn predictive text 🤨
Post #951803 6th May 2022 4:23pm
Honeyman

Netherlands 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Sumatra Black
Bit late to the party - but I’ve just gone through this no-crank scenario over the past couple of weeks (2.4 my2011 130)- chasing PI, 10AS, ignition switch, earths, fuses, relays etc… with no success, which was driving me nuts. I could start it by running an extra lead off the solenoid “S” stud and jumping it directly off the battery. Not convenient. Eventually opened up the loom to trace what I was convinced was a broken wire to the solenoid (brown, green trace) to find the culprit: loose loom connector at the rear LHS of the engine bay. See pic. Looked tight but wasn’t and didn’t feel like it would stay firmly closed. Pushed it together and cable tied it together - problem solved. Worth a check - takes seconds.
Post #951814 6th May 2022 7:22pm
110 Iain

My 110 is currently behaving on the starting issue as it was so eratic not sure what solved it or if it is solved as changed so many things Inc battery earth cables all relays starter ignition switch still Not sure about 10as had a look at it but didn't want to fiddle with it as car is currently starting my starting issues have lasted about 2 years can be fine for weeks then fail to start 3 or 4 times a day I live in hope it's sorted but stilll get into car each day expecting issue wish I could be of more help to those facing similar issues Endeavour To Persevere
Post #951819 6th May 2022 8:38pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Bradders130 wrote:
Blackwolf - sorry, my bad. Damn predictive text 🤨

No problem at all, I guessed!

The appealing thing about disabling the PI is that it is such a quick and easy check.

On my Defender, if I have PI enabled and operate the driver's door electric window whilst the heater plugs are on, prior to starting the engine, the engine will not start. If I disable the PI and operate the window with the heater plugs on prior to starting, the engine will start. Repeatable and consistent, every time, but it took me ages to figure out why in hot weather the engine wouldn't start (I'd open the window whilst waiting for the HP light to go out).

Landrover of course told me that this was an impossible scenario!
Post #951832 6th May 2022 9:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1