Home > General & Technical (L663) > air con in hot climate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
DaveCNB

United States 
Re: air con in hot climate
hopalong wrote:

Can anyone in a hot climate (40 degrees c) comment on air conditioning performance and fine dust ingress...Our car is used extensively for long desert trips up to 14 weeks at a time...

Have a US P400 Defender 100, recently did long road trips in hot weather (90-105F) out to Joshua Tree and Zion Utah on two separate trips. The AC worked great, no issues keeping the car cool. We did opt for the cooled/heated seats so having seat cooling helped a lot and reduced the need to blast the AC via the vents. We did keep the sunroof/sunscreen closed most of the time and used the HVAC recirculation from time to time to start the initial cooling but the system kept up fine even w/o the recirculation button pushed. Hey, does anyone else notice that the HVAC seems to disengage the recirculation button selection on it's own after a certain amount of time?

In the 15 odd miles on dusty loose dirt/sandy roads we did out at Joshua Tree there was no dust ingress noted at all (but that's pretty limited time vs what you'll be doing). I'll hit you back when I have some more off-road miles under my belt. Wanted to do some off roading around Zion but we ended not having enough time. Next time! : )
Post #949207 12th Apr 2022 8:56pm
Sepp

Germany 
Do you have the air quality sensoring option?
This will automatically toggle recirculation.
At least, this is what drivers manual reads.
Post #949256 13th Apr 2022 11:32am
DaveCNB

United States 
Odd, I don't think I opted for that option. Will recheck my build sheet, but I skipped on the Ionized Air cleaning option for sure.
Post #949293 13th Apr 2022 7:41pm
BruceT

South Africa 
I am in Southern Africa. Done lots of very dusty roads. No dust ingress at all and the aircon has not let me down yet. Hottest we have driven in was 48 deg C outside and inside was a cool and comfortable 21 Deg C.

I have the D240 and tow an off road trailer. No problems with over heating or anything like that. Love this vehicle. "Overlanding With Bruce" - Youtube https://www.youtube.com/@OverlandingwithBruce
11MY Defender 130
23MY Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzrHKcjA-LJ470_H4QwPgVA
Post #949847 19th Apr 2022 2:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12