Home > General & Technical (L663) > air con in hot climate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
hopalong

Australia 
air con in hot climate
Hello people
First post so be gentle - long time lurker thought I better join up.
Been driving discos for 26 years the current d2 td5 that I bought in Oct 99, just approaching 450 000 kms but despite a lot of maintenance it is ready for replacement.
I was very interested in the 4 cylinder diesel but was unable to order one before they changed the engine, and now nothing available here in Australia until March/ April next year.
Can anyone in a hot climate (40 degrees c) comment on air conditioning performance and fine dust ingress.
I would like to thank the contributors from Scotland particularly for their commentary that I have enjoyed.
Our car is used extensively for long desert trips up to 14 weeks at a time and has a lot of added equipment to enhance this, this is why we keep it so long, and also there is no rust here.
You may have seen mention of out trips in the LRO Magazine in the last 10 years, so the new Defender 2 is looking very favourable.
Thanks
Post #867459 15th Nov 2020 5:53am
zilch

Australia 
Hi H, whilst i cannot answer on behalf of any real live experience with our new Defender, yet!! in the the near
future that is a different story, as with most modern Landies it has double door seals, i assume it would perform
as well as say a Disco3/4/RRS in terms of keeping the dust out. I have taken our RRS to Cape York via the
OTT/PDR, and the level of talcum fine red dust was everywhere, except for the inside, the seals managed to
keep it squeaky clean.. As for the Aircon, everyone who got in our RRS mentioned how quickly the car cooled
down and how good the aircon was compared to other local makes (Tojo/Nissan etc). I think it will cope quite
admirably, and add the RAI in the mix, should reduce the number of times you have to extract the air filter and
give it a good thrashing Laughing There are a few from the US on here that should be able to comment as well,
plus the FB All new defenders owner group has a reasonable Australian contingent yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #867636 16th Nov 2020 1:20am
shawnpalmer

United States 1997 Defender 90 V8 Petrol HT Auto Arles Blue
I live in North America in Georgia and it gets miserably humid and hot in the summer. I was one of the first ones in my state to get a First Edition back in June. I can tell you that the air conditioner works really well. I have the 3rd row of seats so I think I have extra cooling for the rear passengers, but it works very well. Better than my LR3.
Post #867640 16th Nov 2020 3:05am
Tim in Scotland

One point for those who aren’t fortunate to live in warm sunny humid places but have to put up with cool wet climates DO NOT switch off your AC when the temperatures start to plummet, just turn up the temperature setting on the dial. Reasons are two fold:
1) People think that running with air con on consumes huge amounts of additional fuel - not so. In today’s systems, they are very energy efficient and the compressor only runs when it needs to unlike vehicles of 20 years ago. Running the compressor keeps the gases compressed but more importantly if you switch off the ac then the lubricant in the gas isn’t sent to the valves etc that require it and then on the two hot days of the year when you want to cool the interior, nothing except an expensive repair bill.

2) Land Rover (and most manufacturers ) don’t just have cooling systems in the plant they have dehumidifiers too and this is really important for electronic systems in modern cars - any condensation build up on circuit boards etc can lead to failure and more expensive repairs in non-ventilation systems too.

So if it’s cold and wet leave the system in AUTO, adjust the temperature up on the rotary dials and let the controls sort out if the compressor and fridge is needed. You will notice if you get into the car with rain soaked coats and hats on that after a few minutes the windows will steam up (same if you have a big dog) - run the ventilation system in auto with ac on and the interior and the windows demist pretty quickly even without using the heated front and rear screens. Next time you are out in a wet day with a bunch of old Defenders that don’t have aircon and see how long it takes them to clear windows using the heater and microfiber cloths and they soon mist up again after too.

I appreciate that there are a lot owners who find that the dehumidifier system makes the interior of the car uncomfortably dry with hot o cooled air and to be honest I don’t know how you get around that other than using the Off or Eco buttons. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #867670 16th Nov 2020 9:28am
Bush Bandicoot

Australia 
I live in sub-tropical Queensland and have just driven my new Defender D240 about 2000 km (with side trips) over 5 days up to Townsville where I am now. We had temperatures up to 38 deg C and the temperature gauge never budged from its normal position. Heading out to western QLD end of next week where we are sure to have temperatures above 40 deg but not expecting any issues at all. Vehicle is only lightly loaded and not towing anything though.
Also we have the fancy air quality system (see below for my understanding of what it means!). Only done probably 100 km on dusty roads so far and no evidence of any dust in the cabin.

Mist sensing/ auto demisting detects if the windscreen is starting to fog up and automatically starts demisting
Cabin air ionisation “employs a condenser (to inject tiny water drops into the air) and functions with the climate control system to electrically charge and ionise air particles, removing “pollutants and other harmful particles”, and “reducing allergens, airborne bacteria and associated odours””.
Air Quality Sensor “scans the external air entering the vehicle and automatically engages the climate control’s recirculation setting should it detect harmful pollutants. The system also features an “air purge” function that activates fans remotely in order to freshen the cabin’s air prior to entry”.
Post #868906 22nd Nov 2020 7:44am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Hey Hopalong. I can’t answer your question but do you know Dave and Maureen Price by any chance? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #868937 22nd Nov 2020 10:45am
hopalong

Australia 
Thanks for the replies Just waiting until we get some feedback on the 6 cylinder defender 2 and can get some idea of drive away price.
Bluest , yes i know the Prices very well been on many an adventure with them.
Post #869083 23rd Nov 2020 1:05am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I was in Morocco with them about this time last year. Thumbs Up 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #869096 23rd Nov 2020 8:39am
Archie126

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Barolo Black
Heating switch
Hi all,

First post also just had a quick question when wanting to turn the heating on the switch gets stuck at the windscreen and footwell heating. I have taken the dash off and there is this black lever preventing it turning anymore. Any ideas on how to get around this?.

Many thanks.

Archie
Post #909298 24th Jun 2021 3:27pm
Tim in Scotland

Archie,, welcome to the forum - it sounds like a visit to the dealer to fix that Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #909299 24th Jun 2021 3:37pm
Archie126

Hi Tim,

Ok would it need to go to the specific dealer or would any land rover dealer be ok?
Apologies for the questions.

All the best,

Archie
Post #909314 24th Jun 2021 5:31pm
Tim in Scotland

Any dealer would take it for warranty work Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #909355 25th Jun 2021 3:56am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Archie, is this the 2007 90 in your profile that you're asking about? If so, you've inadvertently posted in a thread about the new Defender, which is a completely different animal, and a warranty solution won't be open to you. You'll also likely want to avoid main dealers. Try starting a new thread in the 'Maintenance & Modifications' part of the forum, near the top of the list on the index page, and include a picture or two if you can. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #909363 25th Jun 2021 6:07am
Archie126

Apologies, I am new to this thing thank you very much for your help I will look around In that section.
Post #909474 25th Jun 2021 6:38pm
hopalong

Australia 

Click image to enlarge

why we need good dust sealing down under

Click image to enlarge
Post #948842 10th Apr 2022 1:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>