TXH90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
Oil leak hunting

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Shocked seem to be leaking rather a bit of oil not sure where from and wondered if experienced eyes could help my novice peepers. It's coming around to service time anyway so I was going to change the oil shortly anyway but obviously don't want to if there's something pernicious needs sorting. Is this volume of leakage sustainable/okay/expected? Is eventually coming down and dripping into steering guard but also by the filter and drain plug Shocked

Thanks in advance Very Happy

TP
Post #948208 5th Apr 2022 6:00pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Pic 1:
Diff Pinion oil seal, in my opinion that can be caused by a failed / failing Prop Shaft UJ.
So if you get this one repaired make sure the UJ’s are checked in particular the UJ nearest the leak on the diff nose.
I had this seal replaced once, and it leaked again not long after. In the end I had to get it replaced yet again but I found it was the Prop UJ had a bearing failed on it.
And you could only tell by taking the prop off it was very difficult to tell in situ.

Pic 2 & 3:
Difficult to tell due to picture but cleaning the sump would be a good start as it maybe the seal going on it, if the seal is replaced the sump needs replacing itself really.
It could be leaking from further up or the oil filter. Is the oil filter a genuine one?
Anyone else have any views?

Pic 4: Possibly the steering box, this one doesn’t look too bad should be able to be cleaned up and keep an eye on.

To clean up use some brake cleaner, an aerosol one is ideal like holts.

If you are going for a service and oil change, then that’s an ideal time to change out the sump and seal in the process, as this is what I had done and makes sense as the oil will need to be changed anyway so is an ideal oppertunity.
Again the same with the diff pinion oil seals, you may as well get the diff oils changed.

Looking at the prop UJ’s I would suggest getting the UJ’s greased and also the sliders if the nipple is present.

Hope that helps, most of us have had the same leaks on our own. Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #948221 5th Apr 2022 8:37pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
As Steve mentions, start with a good de-grease and clean in order to spot the tell tales easier.
Post #948224 5th Apr 2022 8:46pm
TXH90

Thanks both, esp Steve for the detailed analysis Bow down - have gotten the brake cleaner together and topped up the oil as it was a little low. Have researched the sump replacement and lined up the parts- hoping the leak is this one as it looks like I might be able to have a go at this one. Will do some research on the other options over the next couple of days.

Ta very much
Tom
Post #948392 6th Apr 2022 8:03pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I believe the latest sump is also reworked from the original if an early Puma like mine is and yours by the look of your profile.

Perhaps someone can explain why, I can’t remember why but there was a clearance issue if I remember under articulation or something along those lines.

I had my sump replaced a couple of years ago for the same reason of leaking seal and was getting aged.
On mine I then sprayed it with a thin spray of black dinitrol, as they can suffer from corrosion.

If you do, leave it at least a day after to evaporate off and cure as it gets hot.

It’s kept my old one and the new one in really good condition. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #948399 6th Apr 2022 8:58pm
TXH90

Yes mine is an early 2.4 Puma TDCi 07 plate. Seems I bought just as some key bits were giving up the ghost which is understandable for a then 13 year old vehicle. I watched a pretty comprehensive video on replacing sump by Life Projects on YT ( allbeit the engine out of the bay) and hopefully am building confidence to do it. If not as someone else has said you can always call out the mechanic for them to sort when you fluff the job up Rolling with laughter
Post #948411 6th Apr 2022 11:15pm
TXH90

Co1 wrote:
As Steve mentions, start with a good de-grease and clean in order to spot the tell tales easier.

Just reaslised I already follow you on IG Colin; I have a similar 90 County HT (cairns blue?!) though nowhere near as clean set up. Nice work!
Post #948416 7th Apr 2022 12:36am
TXH90

Loire Blue Mr. Green close enough very jealous!
Post #948417 7th Apr 2022 12:38am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Thanks Mate. Stick a pic up here so we can have a look!
Post #948425 7th Apr 2022 6:08am
TXH90

Gladly- now got a roof tent on it for trips and a few more scuffs and scrapes from said trips Whistle Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #948932 10th Apr 2022 9:21pm
TXH90

Forgive the gormless look in first photo- I’d just bought it hence the elation
Post #948933 10th Apr 2022 9:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1