↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Nakatanenga DAB antenna
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
Good evening, I've had one of these aerials sitting taunting me for ages so after reading and rereading this thread several times over the past week I finally went in today.

All went swimmingly well with centre dash removal (though I did find a couple of mystery plugs back there that I need to identify - you may get a photo of these tomorrow!) My initial attempts at the pull through method mentioned above proved frustrating.

After some several very tentative tugs, it was clear that this needed some force. So I started really pulling, this is when the old cable came off my poorly executed piggyback system and I was about to cry.

But I put my big boy pants on and went back out to the engine bay for another go. This time I was really unsure as to my chances of success - shoving the new jack and cable blindly through the tight as two coats of paint grommet? Anyway, it went through so I kept feeding it blindly, thinking to myself that its just getting lost in behind the dash somewhere. Imagine my astonishment when I jumped back inside the car, took a peek in behind the instrument cluster with a headtorch and there it was! reach in with some long nose pliers and carefully fish it out. Ta-dah!

Except there's no signal. I was really hoping against hope that the splitter wouldn't be needed but this was naive.

So my question after all that blethering, is how can I easily and safely wire this in? If you are inclined to answer this - may I ask you do so as if answering, say a particularly eager but not especially technically proficient child? I am well out of my comfort zone when it comes to electrics but I do want to change that.

If it helps at all I can use the cigarette lighter as it's not needed? Thanks for your patience reading all this and for any guidance or wisdom you may wish to impart!
Post #946112 17th Mar 2022 11:34pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi all
Have just attempted to fit one of these wonderful aerials to my partners 110 which has a Pioneer DEH-S720DAB head unit. It was working with the little stick on the window unit - but not very many channels or good reception.
Since adding the new Nakatanenga antenna (via Brendon and 4x4 overland) I have an ‘Antenna Fault’ message which wont go away no matter how I try and configure the power/ no power to the unit.

I see that PJ2016 had a similar issue with the same head unit as I have but not sure how the issue was fixed .. any pointers ??

Question Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #986947 26th Mar 2023 9:14pm
ngins

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
MussEd wrote:

If it helps at all I can use the cigarette lighter as it's not needed? Thanks for your patience reading all this and for any guidance or wisdom you may wish to impart!

I think the cig lighter is fine. I don’t have exactly the same setup but I had an amplifier splitter. Make sure the positive has a small fuse and then I wired mine to the stereo blue / blue/white wire. This turns on when the stereo turns on and back in the day when cars had electric aerials would have power that up to extend the aerial but now tends to be used for a trigger wire for an amp and is ideal in my view to power the dab antenna booster.
Post #986976 27th Mar 2023 7:14am
donmacn

I’ll hopefully be wiring one of these up shortly, and using the blue/white wire sounds like an elegant solution for powering the aerial.

When you say ‘make sure the positive has a small fuse’ did you mean putting a fuse into this blue/white supply to the aerial box?

Have to say I don’t have the aerial or instructions to hand so I can’t remember if there was more than one power input required, though I’d have thought not. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #986985 27th Mar 2023 8:06am
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
I fitted one recently and the DAB splitter box thingy came with a fuse in its wiring.

I picked up power from the cigar lighter as well as a lights on signal for the head unit. The head unit display dims when the lights are on.
Post #986996 27th Mar 2023 10:18am
custom90

United Kingdom 
If I remember rightly, the draw on the booster is something like up to 84mA.
(Don’t quote me exactly on this as it’s from memory).
I think I used a 250mA 20mm quick blow glass fuse for it, fused nearest power supply source.
In my case I ran the supply from a dedicated fuse box, fused at 1A ATO through 1mm2 thinwall,
then the 250mA fuse just before the booster as the wire gauge is so small.
I think it would have been nice if the booster wire tails were a bit more bigger gauge.

Regards head unit lighting, yes, as posted above was mentioned an ideal illumination dimming trigger is ideal from the lighter socket illumination.
You can get a male spade terminal to fit that perfectly, no cutting of existing wiring required.
And in my case I fitted a Bluesea 12v socket there without illumination which again plugs straight in, so the spare illumination socket was ideal for the head unit illumination dimming trigger.
Which is common to be used for it, which suits perfectly.

I really like the Bluesea 12v sockets they are neat and versatile Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #987058 27th Mar 2023 7:42pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Waste of money IMO just fit a splitter and booster to the standard Ariel mine works a treat even in the his round Yakshire
Post #987272 29th Mar 2023 7:01pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You can do that, only thing is you have to put the antenna up when needed and down when not or could get broken.
Considering the antenna is longer, it might even pick up even more signal the standard one.
Depends on which option is preferred. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #987277 29th Mar 2023 7:47pm
steveww

The original telescopic one on mine was a victim to a low branch. The Naka one is much more robust.
Post #987281 29th Mar 2023 8:27pm
Furball

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Hi X4CAC, just reading this thread and picked up on this:
X4CAC wrote:
...the body shop did whilst the car was in for warranty work to the windscreen surround so the one I had stuck to my windscreen was going to get wrecked during the process.

Which warranty did you claim on? Factory, Dealer or Recall?...or none of the above?
I assume it was a corrosion claim?
TIA.
Post #992992 17th May 2023 3:07pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
wyvern wrote:
Hi all
Have just attempted to fit one of these wonderful aerials to my partners 110 which has a Pioneer DEH-S720DAB head unit. It was working with the little stick on the window unit - but not very many channels or good reception.
Since adding the new Nakatanenga antenna (via Brendon and 4x4 overland) I have an ‘Antenna Fault’ message which wont go away no matter how I try and configure the power/ no power to the unit.

I see that PJ2016 had a similar issue with the same head unit as I have but not sure how the issue was fixed .. any pointers ??

Question

Just to follow up for those who are interested ...
The issue with the Pioneer radio was sorted with pressing the reset button under the removable face plate for 5 seconds - then not using the ‘splitter’ provided by Nakatanenga but one from Amazon with a single power connection.
Similar to this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEADSIGN-Splitter...amp;sr=8-5
This works very well and gives up a wider range of stations with good reception.
The Naka one would not work with the radio and constantly caused an 'antenna fault’ warning.
Hope that helps others. Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #992997 17th May 2023 3:51pm
Trev

Scotland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
keith wrote:
Thanks for the help. 10 min job. Using the pull through method.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I've bought one of these and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to the underside of the wing to fit it. Like the photo here there seems to be an ABS system in the way that I don't want to touch. Am I missing something obvious?

Clearly I'm not a mechanic of any sort. Only owned the defender for a few months and I'm still figuring stuff out. Any help appreciated.
Post #1010687 9th Oct 2023 8:22pm
steveww

Remove the air intake from the wing for access.
Post #1011445 16th Oct 2023 3:00pm
Trev

Thanks for the reply. That will mean removing the snorkel then. Sad It was looking like I'd need to remove the inner wheel arch thing. Not sure which would be easier. Very Happy
Post #1011622 17th Oct 2023 10:50pm
Trev

steveww wrote:
Remove the air intake from the wing for access.

Had to take the Snorkel off and it looked like the ducting on the other side of the wing was in the way. Took the eye brow off, still couldn't get to it. Turned out you can just pull the ducting to the left and it pops off the rest of the ducting and drops down out of the way. Might not have noticed if it had actually been screwed in! Very Happy

Got it fitted and put back together. Next job is to fit the snorkel properly. Nuts weren't on the bottom at all and the gasket was missing.

Thanks for the advice.
Post #1012161 22nd Oct 2023 9:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456