↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Nakatanenga DAB antenna
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Nakatanenga DAB antenna
Has anyone installed the current generation (fairly new) Nakatanenga radio antenna?

I got one over the weekend, it's the first time I've ever had a working FM radio in my Defender but the DAB functionality doesn't seem to work. Now it's possible that it's just because I live in a not very DAB area, but the radio will pick up a few stations using a basic internal-mount antenna so I was expecting the new fancy-pants one to be better!

I'm also confused by the mounting hardware, I seem to have two big metal disks that serve no purpose. If I try and use them the antenna doesn't fit. I removed a stock Defender aerial from a 2011 Defender so I'd have thought it should fit, and it does if I ignore the two important looking metal bits.

I'm kind of disappointed by it at the moment, by buying something expensive marketed directly at the Defender I expected it to fit better than it does, work better than it does and have some instructions. Fingers crossed I'm missing something obvious!
Post #760863 26th Feb 2019 6:28pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Not fitted mine yet.

But this may help with parts.

Click image to enlarge
Post #760865 26th Feb 2019 6:34pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I take it you do have it powered up and live when needed and not just plugged in? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #760904 26th Feb 2019 9:36pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Have a chat with Brendan and he will be able to give you some advice, the info he gave to me was very helpful Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #760908 26th Feb 2019 10:05pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
landy andy wrote:
Not fitted mine yet.

But this may help with parts.

Click image to enlarge

Ah, intriguing. I've used the bits they say shouldn't be used. You can't get it tilted otherwise.

custom90steve wrote:
I take it you do have it powered up and live when needed and not just plugged in?

Yes Smile

Has anyone actually got a working one? I managed to pick up bits of a few DAB stations on my way to work this morning but it's pretty patchy (to the point of being unusable) and much worse than the little patch antenna that I was trying to upgrade from!
Post #760988 27th Feb 2019 12:24pm
X4CAC

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I have one fitted to mine, I didn't fit it however, the body shop did whilst the car was in for warranty work to the windscreen surround so the one I had stuck to my windscreen was going to get wrecked during the process.

So far it is working as well as the old one did, I still find patches where I get no reception at all, but that's no different to what I'm used to. I've not used the car much in the past couple of weeks since it was fitted but I'm not expecting miracles, but it looks way better than the horrible window sticker it replaced, so I'm OK with the results so far.
Post #761020 27th Feb 2019 4:39pm
Daisy90

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alveston Red
Maybe a pointless question at this point, but here goes

As well as many jobs my mechanic Chappy fitted the nakajobby aerial the other day,
But apparently the connecter on the head unit end of the aerial lead is not the same / compatible as the head unit,
The head u it is a Alpine cd fm dab tuner

Any ideas ?
I haven't had the opportunity to pull the head unit out yay to, take a looky

The FM side of it works a treat though 👍

Cheers
Post #763811 16th Mar 2019 3:56pm
donmacn

Before you have a look there, have a look here:

https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/what-do-the-...-look-like

I think you can get short adapter cables. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #763826 16th Mar 2019 4:24pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Daisy90 - The connectors on the Naka kits is ammale SMA connector and most afetermaket HU's are SMB.

You need an SMA female to SMB female adaptor most likely. (Very cheap, see eBay.)

I still haven't got mine fitted and even then don't have a DAB HU as of yet, I have however got the other stuff.
I intend to fit with 20 - 30cm pigtails to extend the location of the booster from the rear of the HU to locate it nicely and securely.

I don't like such items just left loose around the back there and a wire could easily be pulled.

I was thinking of zip tying it to the bulkhead bar, leaving the SMB pigtail easily connectable / removable when inserting or removing the HU. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #763840 16th Mar 2019 5:18pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Very useful advice steve Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #763843 16th Mar 2019 5:25pm
Daisy90

Thanks for your comments and advice,
For the risk of wasting a fiver I have pre order d the above mentioned connector, that way when I get a mo to take a look ill have it to hand

More feedback when fitted n working 👍
Post #763899 16th Mar 2019 9:38pm
Daisy90

Been a tad hectic, but finally got a spare moment to finish off the aerial fitment,
The above mentioned connecter via eBay for under a fiver did the trick and all connected now,

I did check F.M that was fine but can't compare it as didn't use to listen to it,

The DAB however is years better,, I had the small coil wire type antenna from halfrauds previously ,
After firing it up I did a re tune and found a load more stations, been on a few trips to work etc when the old one used to cut out a lot, didn't drop out once with the new one, so overall I'm a happy punter

Hope that helps anyone that's thinking about it Thumbs Up
Post #766086 30th Mar 2019 3:58pm
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
Just installed my Naka aerial - much better reception than the standard LR aerial

Have a valley with a dead spot on the way into the village
My modern car (from the other side of the JLR garage) looses reception for about half a mile
The 90 with standard LR aerial lost reception for a quarter of a mile
Now with the Naka aerial the reception gets a little crackly for a hundred yards only

A great improvement Thumbs Up
Post #766233 31st Mar 2019 12:09pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I fitted mine today, but not the booster yet as I'm not at that stage.

I have however tested it on temporary connection leads at the battery thus boosted on FM and indeed reception is much improved.
Cannot comment on DAB as I have not got that functionality to use yet HU wise.

I went for the fitting method Brendan suggested,
The aerial body at the bottom, then the silver cylindrical adaptor with the lipped side facing up.
Then the wing, then the black metal washer the flag one and then the black securing nut.
And then finally the aerial.

Fitting is simple enough, just the bulkhead grommet a pain.
I took the original aerial right out, and the lower bezel of the instrument cluster. 2x T30 torx screws.
To the left the aperture near the ignition switch though there you'll see the grommet at the back and a wiring bundle.
I didn't want to pull though bounty cables as the grommet is tight enough as it is.
So when pushing it though the engine bay side.
Push the plug and cable down a little as you do, on the inside that'll direct it up and just above the wiring bundle.

You should be able so see it though the above area, once it's though pull it all though that gap.

In the engine bay you can secure it to existing convoluted tubing wiring as part of the LR loom using large plastic zip ties.
Ensure it doesn't rub on any un-protected wiring or the brake pipe in that vicinity.

Once that is done, you can then put a hand under the hole in the dash to the left of the clutch pedal and thread the rest of the cable up to the back of the HU.
There is plenty of room behind there to secure it, be sure to make sure that it doesn't interphere with the fan selector mechanisms etc of it could jam them.

When I get to the sage of fitting the booster / splitter I'm inclined to get a singe sided 2mm black foam bad and put that on the bulkhead bar to the side back there.
Then secure the booster to that rather than have it loose and any associated wiring too.
Bearing in mind you will need pigtails from it to allow access for HU removal - installation.
I'm not a fan of having any devices just loose there unless there are very small or in-line devices.

Things can wear, get jammed, be pulled on etc etc.

It's a great improvement on factory fit, it was so poor the LR one I never actually used the radio for that very reason.
Plus the fact it would need to be manually extended and probably get snapped if you did anyway.

I'm yet to wire in the booster, but I have plans for it to be only on when the HU is powered but you can have it on with ignition all the time if you wanted.

It'd be useful to have black and silver upper fittings too if anyone should wish to change but the black im happy enough with.

I'm sure with the increased performance of the FM reception that the DAB would be also. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #769479 21st Apr 2019 5:41pm
pj2106

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Any pictures as I’ve fitted mine today and have antenna error on the head unit just on DAB though 2008 110 2.4 XS Utility (Hagrid)
2002 90 TD5 Hardtop (Sully) Sold
1998 300TDi D1 (Billy) Sold
Post #769491 21st Apr 2019 7:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>