Print this entire topic · 
Macior10

Germany 

Click image to enlarge

Mine also burst. The car ist right now at the Dealership in Germany
Post #944471 3rd Mar 2022 4:43pm
Logannz

New Zealand 
This is a design flaw with the tempered glass I think.

The single section of glass has the seal and adhesion inside the perimeter, so part of the glass is heated by the interior heat, but the 4 corners are at out side temperature. In very cold climates thats enough thermal stress to cause a fracture. Once one area cracks the tempered glass all goes.

I also suspect the Defender uses thinner glass to save weight (based on how any windscreen replacements they seem to require.
Post #944860 6th Mar 2022 10:08pm
smigma8

United States 
2023 Defender 110 Carpathian Edition owner here is United States. Just had the exact same thing happen to my Defender.

Defender is less than 2 months old with only 1500 miles. Was driving on paved road at ~30/mph when back glass shattered just like this.

Called dealer and right now they are saying they are not going to cover under warranty. I will be pursuing this again with dealer, and then corporate, if necessary. Also: glass is on backorder with NO ETA, so car is not drivable.

This issue needs to be resolved!

Anyone else have this issue or NOT be replaced under warranty? Also; my dealer says even when they get the glass the shop doesn’t do glass work. So not sure where I am supposed to go to ensure properly installed. First time Land Rover owner, and very disappointed/dissatisfied so far.
Post #994388 29th May 2023 3:21pm
misha1976

My dealer replaced it under warranty. One years ago .
Post #994390 29th May 2023 3:26pm
smigma8

United States 
Were they also able to do the install or did you have to take it somewhere else?
Post #994391 29th May 2023 3:28pm
Tim in Scotland

A word of caution - you could be waiting a long time for a rear glass if it’s got privacy glass too - after 6 weeks waiting for the tailgate pane for my new 90 I gave up as the dealer had no indication when they would come off back order at the factory. My 90 was built without the specced privacy glass and the plan was to remove the plain glass and replace it with the ordered privacy glass at no cost to me………. I’ve decide that I can live without out and got my money back. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 29th May 2023 5:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #994392 29th May 2023 3:31pm
smigma8

United States 
By privacy glass - I assume you mean that it has some tint from the factory? If so, yes, that is my Defender has.

Here in the US we have vehicle lemon laws. With rear glass broken it is a safety hazard, as well as a security issue, as unable to properly lock car since someone could access through rear area.

If a new vehicle (less than 18 months old) is considered not drivable for more than 30 days in a year it is subject to vehicle replacement or full refund.

All options suck since I waited a year just to get this car. 😤
Post #994394 29th May 2023 3:47pm
Tim in Scotland

Yes - the factory dark rear glass is called privacy glass or limo tint at the tinting level that LR uses. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #994405 29th May 2023 5:44pm
John333

The rear door with the spare tire on it is really heavy. First time opening it I wondered how many times I do this until the hinges are worn out. Could it be that simply vibration of the door caused the glass crack ?
Post #1002589 1st Aug 2023 8:17pm
DFNDER

Australia 
This is concerning. it seems like the privacy tempered glass has an issue, either temperature or fitment related. Dont take no for an answer for a new car, JLR has to fix it under warranty as its a safety issue.

Ordered mine without P.G.a I got it tinted aftermarket, this ensured the full window was covered with a top spec 3M film. No issues so far - touch wood...
Post #1009870 3rd Oct 2023 10:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12