↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > DEFENDER 90, a dog in boot its reasonable?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ruben

Ukraine 
DEFENDER 90, a dog in boot its reasonable?
I throw a question please here, especially to the current owners:

DEFENDER 90, do you think it´s possible to transport, in a correct and respectful way, a dog in the trunk on medium-long distance trips?

PD as you can see in my avatar, it would be a beautiful and adorable beagle, no saint bernards or other 4-legged beauties like that.
Post #944419 2nd Mar 2022 11:18pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Are we talking Classic Defender or new Defender?

I have never had a 90 of either type, but generally there are a couple of things to ask yourself before transporting your dog.

If it was me being pushed into that space for X amount of time, would I be comfortable? Only you know your dog. Some dogs need to see what’s going on, or like to interact with humans during the journey, some just curl up and go to sleep in any space available. Asking this question on the forum makes me think you are unsure that there is sufficient room or at least you Dog wouldn’t be comfortable for the duration of the trip. If this is the case, you have answered your own question Smile

What would happen in the event of a rear end smash to your vehicle? Is your dog secure? Even a small dog could easily become a flying hazard to the driver and passengers. It is law in the Uk that dogs should be restrained in vehicles. Very few people take any notice of this but I personally know a couple of people who have been cautioned by the Police. This legality may or may not apply to you, but worth checking out.
It is also worth considering how your dog would survive in the event of a rear end smash. This is something that I have battled with in the past, not to so much in my 110 (as my dogs ride in a sling across the second row seats) but when I had estate cars and my dogs rode in the boot when I carried passengers. It was always my concern that in a rear end crash, they would probably not survive, or at the least be seriously injured.

Not a definitive answer, yes or no, but hopefully that helps.
Post #944425 3rd Mar 2022 5:01am
cocker

United Kingdom 
Travel with my two spaniels in a cage in my 90 no problem
Post #944430 3rd Mar 2022 7:39am
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Depends on what 90 you have and what else you will be carrying, passengers? rear seats?baggage? etc.

We removed the 2 rear seats on the county, large square of marine ply across the wheel arches and a dog guard behind the 2 front seats, plenty of room for 2 mastiffs, on the odd occasion we had to travel we used a roof box to put stuff.

For safety you harness the dog and connect to seatbelt anchor buckle. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #944431 3rd Mar 2022 8:09am
ruben

Ukraine 
Hi, I'm actually talking about the new one! until yesterday the 90 seemed like the perfect bodywork, I went to see it in flesh and blood and, to put it concisely, I was shocked... you confirm my suspicions, since it was not correct at that time to try to put my dear Dingle, my fellow beagle, in the trunk of a new defender from the exhibition that marked a price of €90,000, which is another joke story too. In short, you confirm my suspicion, I consider the answer a resounding NO and I should consider the DEF 90 more as an exercise in style than as a car for real life... moreover, and on second thought... how the hell is my dear Din going to travel there? I don't even think that between a decent sized suitcase... what a pity with 15 cm more trunk it would have been the definitive car! Thanks a lot
Post #944436 3rd Mar 2022 9:39am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello ruben

How to carry a dog in a 90 was a consideration for us and the 'rear arrangements' in a Defender.

The forward facing X2 rear seats in our Puma were removed and replaced with X4 inward facing
seats (+ full harness seatbelts). This significantly changes the usable space, as when folded
up and 'away' there is a usable open 'tub' area wider than the X2 standard (forward facing seats)
when folded up would have occupied.

We have further adapted this area with a slide in/out 'mezzanine' decking at seat base level that
allows for two storage trays to slide in underneath with the dog on top, we have a harness that secures
her when in-transit, she is a good traveller which helps, top to bottom of our country with no issues.

We looked at a couple of 110 Puma's but the same issue in the rear applies, so decided to stick with the 90 as it suites our way of using the Defender.

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck... SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html

Last edited by X4SKP on 3rd Mar 2022 10:32am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #944438 3rd Mar 2022 10:30am
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
The only time the new 90 is useful is in commercial trim level. It’s an utterly pointless vehicle in county spec. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #944439 3rd Mar 2022 10:32am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
What you need Ruben, is a real Defender, not one of the fake Pretenders. 😉👍
HTH
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #944440 3rd Mar 2022 10:33am
ruben

Ukraine 
Thank you for your considerations, at the moment I am in transit after 16 years, and counting, of being a happy owner of a D3. The "true" defender has always been a real temptation, I think it has been and continues to be one of the most stylish and classy cars that have been made in the world in the last 50 years without a doubt, I have used it, not my property, in my work, geologist, but his excessive rudeness has always kept me from owning it, and now at least here they cost real fortunes, I don't know why someone would have decided to invest in gold or bitcoins while the defender was out there, the truth... That being said, the logical change for me is the false defender, or the true D6, and I liked this “discovered” DEF 90…but I don't know…well, we'll see…thanks
Post #944443 3rd Mar 2022 10:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1