↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres (L663) > The TFL debacle: size or tire?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
BruceT

South Africa 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I think that the particular issue with the TFL video is the stupid way that they drove it, essentially accelerating into a rock step and then looking all surprised at the result. The 20 inch tyres won't have helped though and 18's would no doubt have been more forgiving of the ham fisted driving.

And then after changing the wheel he decided to do exactly the same thing again! I unsubscribed from that channel after seeing his little temper tantrum and listening to their moaning episode after episode.

I have measure the 20 inch tyre profile versus the 18 inch profile. not very scientifically but more real case scenario where I used a tape measure and measure from the bottom of the rim to the ground, using level ground.
1cm difference.
Does this really make a substantial difference?

I am no expert at tyres or Youtube but here is my (poor?) attempt at covering both:

At the end of Feb I will be doing a proper Overland trip in my New Defender, where we will be visiting Great Zimbabwe ruins and Gonarezhou, in Zimbabwe and the northern parts of South Africa, so will cover that trip also. "Overlanding With Bruce" - Youtube https://www.youtube.com/@OverlandingwithBruce
11MY Defender 130
23MY Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzrHKcjA-LJ470_H4QwPgVA
Post #940461 1st Feb 2022 7:44am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Logically, if going from a 20 inch wheel to an 18 whilst maintaining the same overall diameter, the additional sidewall height will be 1 inch or 25mm. The weight of the vehicle will vary that a bit at the bottom, as will pressures, but it's the amount of extra rubber available that will make all of the difference in these sorts of scenarios. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #940462 1st Feb 2022 7:59am
BruceT

South Africa 
Absolutely agree and not disputing that at all. There should be 25mm difference.

My point was that the true measurement from the ground to the bottom of the rim, with vehicle not loaded and tyre pressures to spec there is only about 10/12mm difference on the vehicles i measured. The 20s measure at 120mm where they should theoretically be 152mm.

Only thing i forgot to check was how full the fuel tanks were and things like third row seats. Both vehicles had around the same mileage on them but i didnt measure the tread depth either so i suppose all of these can contribute to the difference.

Either way, driving into a rock with right angles like TFL did will probably damage most tyres. I have just done around 30kms of rock driving while heavily loaded and towing a camping trailer this past weekend where some sections required Low Range and had done about 25kms prior to that on some very rocky roads, that required Low range and careful driving and have yet to hit any of my wheels or damage a tyre. maybe Im just lucky.

Having said all that, i would prefer 18s though.

Click image to enlarge
 "Overlanding With Bruce" - Youtube https://www.youtube.com/@OverlandingwithBruce
11MY Defender 130
23MY Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzrHKcjA-LJ470_H4QwPgVA
Post #940466 1st Feb 2022 8:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12