↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres (L663) > The TFL debacle: size or tire?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GreenMonster

United States 
The TFL debacle: size or tire?
Been watching the TFL tire saga and wondering whether it was more the tire/wheel size; or is the Adventure just a terrible tire? I have the Adventures on 20’s and would never take them on a trail like that, but when I have taken them off-road, I’ve been leaving them at full air pressure based on what the LR experience instructors advised for these tires. They’ve done fine, surprisingly well even in mud, and even on light rocks. I’m considering doing the Lucky8 18” swap to allow for some airing down, but I like the on road performance of the Adventures so much I’m actually thinking of sticking with them in 18’s. I know that may sound crazy, but like most people who off road occasionally, I still have to drive a lot of road and not sure I want the drone and handling hit of more aggressive AT’s.

I know these LR Adventures may not have Kevlar, but I don’t think that’s the issue with these sidewall punctures we’re seeing online as the Kevlar belt is just in the tread anyway, so I think the problems are more due to size and airing down with the small sidewall. What do you guys think? Are the Adventures just that bad? Should I go with Wildpeak’s or something like that if I go 18’s, or would the Adventures be safe on the 18’s? I don’t really have any interest in rock crawling for rock crawling sake, but do have some overlanding trips planned out west and up in Maine where I really don’t want punctures.
Post #915382 4th Aug 2021 12:03am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think that the particular issue with the TFL video is the stupid way that they drove it, essentially accelerating into a rock step and then looking all surprised at the result. The 20 inch tyres won't have helped though and 18's would no doubt have been more forgiving of the ham fisted driving.

As for the tyres themselves, I understand what you say about lots of road driving between trails but there are better AT tyres out there than the Adventurer that are perfectly at home on the road. Tyre technology has moved on and it's no longer necessary to put up with compromised road manners to gain a decent amount of off road ability. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #915396 4th Aug 2021 7:32am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
You only have to look at the way they drove that small Wrangler to “rescue” the Defender in the 2nd vid to see that skill and mechanical sympathy are lacking a bit in the TFL team. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS

Last edited by Bluest on 26th Aug 2021 1:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #915403 4th Aug 2021 8:43am
GreenMonster

United States 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I think that the particular issue with the TFL video is the stupid way that they drove it, essentially accelerating into a rock step and then looking all surprised at the result. The 20 inch tyres won't have helped though and 18's would no doubt have been more forgiving of the ham fisted driving.

As for the tyres themselves, I understand what you say about lots of road driving between trails but there are better AT tyres out there than the Adventurer that are perfectly at home on the road. Tyre technology has moved on and it's no longer necessary to put up with compromised road manners to gain a decent amount of off road ability.

Thanks. Would you put Wildpeaks or K02’s in that category? K02’s reputation for poor wet road traction has had me looking at the wildpeaks if I go to 18’s.
Post #915409 4th Aug 2021 9:35am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've no experience of Wildpeaks, I'm afraid. I don't even know if they're available over here. KO2's do seem to have a bit of mixed reputation in the wet - some express a lack of confidence whilst others think they're fine. It's all a bit subjective, I guess. Coopers have gained a good reputation in recent years. Personally, I'm a big fan of General Grabber AT3's - quiet, excellent in the wet and winter rated - but they're not the most aggressive AT and don't necessarily have the 'look' that a lot of folks are after these days. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #915473 4th Aug 2021 5:10pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Not an isolated incident. From FB today:

Click image to enlarge
 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #915487 4th Aug 2021 6:19pm
GreenMonster

United States 
Yeah, several of these examples out there. Just wondering if these are mostly 20’s that have been aired down. Airing down may just be a bad idea on anything but 18’s no matter the tire. Or maybe the Goodyear sidewalks are that bad. Hard to tell what’s going on.
Post #915571 5th Aug 2021 8:38am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Driver's ability was the biggest, and dare I say only (?), factor at play there. I know the camera doesn't do things justice but I took my old 3.6 TDV8 L322 on 19" wheels into far worse places than they did, that being said I did write off three tyres on it.

The first two were just dumb bad luck, I caught a piece of slate hidden on the side of a track and it sliced through the sidewall on the front and it exploded, the rear luckily was able to get me home but was replaced immediately afterwards. The KM2s on my Defender wouldn't have survived that piece of slate. The third tyre got another sidewall puncture after about 3 miles of continually scrubbing the sidewalls on a narrow track.

I never aired down the tyres and although we did squash the sidewalls to nothing I never burst a tyre that way - when they did that it was just lack of sympathy on how they drove the track, take it slow and crawl over the obstacles. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #915577 5th Aug 2021 9:10am
leeloo

Luxembourg 
You can have a bad day and make some poor choices, but in this particular case, was mostly the driver. What did he expect ? He punctures 1 tyre, and than does the exact same thing expecting a different result.
The 20 inch wheels and bad construction of the wrangler adventurer did not help. But the second flat is 100% driver. The Adventurer is like one of the most road oriented tires between the AT's, maybe Bridgestone Dueller is the only one with more road bias than the Adventurer.
Goodyear suffers in general with poor sidewall construction, even the Duratracs, great traction in mud snow but still weak sidewall.
There is nothing wrong with a road bias AT tire, they are suitable for many people, I always buy this type, and I have been using them for more than 7 years with no incidents, and I go offroad often. but there are some models out there with a lot better sidewall construction, like Yokohama Geolandar AT016, Toyo Open Country AT, Falken etc... Defender P300 on order
Post #918776 26th Aug 2021 12:56pm
GreenMonster

United States 
Yeah, agree. I’m going to try and get through this Fall on the Adventures before I switch to my winter wheels, and then get either the Mickey Thompson or the Falken’s next Spring. Definitely not airing these down much unless I hit the beach again.
Post #918777 26th Aug 2021 1:06pm
leeloo

Luxembourg 
luckily for me I will have the P300 and stock 18 inch rims. I have 17 inch on my Hilux and I do fine, I don't expect 18 inch to be a major issue. I think I will keep the stock adventurers for a while, until next summer when I do a lot more off roading and decide than what to get. For 18 inch I see there are enough choices, I was worried a bit in the beginning that defender having a bit of weird size, I might not have a lot to choose from, but I see BFG, Yokohama, Falken, Nitto, plenty of fish in the sea Smile Defender P300 on order
Post #918786 26th Aug 2021 2:56pm
Tim in Scotland

One problem with the LR version of the Duratrac compared to the BFG equivalent is the sidewall thickness. One member of one of the FB groups got his tyre dealer to measure the thickness of the two - Duratracs 5mm thick in LR spec, BFG AT was 11mm thick……… this was put to LR, who were apparently rather surprised at the difference and are “looking into it” Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #918822 26th Aug 2021 7:00pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
It’s great that we have so many skillful drivers on here 🙄
Post #918825 26th Aug 2021 7:16pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Sharp rocks cut tyres, if you’re going to drive over them probably sensible to make sure you have suitable rubber. Don’t think there’s more to it than that, I’m sure you can slice open any of them if you try hard enough.
Post #918828 26th Aug 2021 7:25pm
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
My experience is that when I ran a D3 on 19"s I wrecked 3 tyres laning by pinching the tyre walls. I was doing nothing radical, on road pressures and on different green lane trips.

I then changed to 17"s - and never had another issue.

Regardless of wall thickness and kevlar bands, its seems to be a fairly universal truth that the more side wall you have the fewer punctures you'll get. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #918861 27th Aug 2021 9:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>