↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Defender TD5 cruise control.....confused!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Bim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 2.5 TD XS CSW Tonga Green
Thanks Mike would you have the speed healer switched with the cc so only on when selected
Post #881680 29th Jan 2021 9:18am
achuakh

Singapore 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
you can do it two way and I've done both.

1. speedo healer - great you can program a A and B setting, so if you switch into your overdrive, if will use one setting while if you do not have the overdrive engaged, you can use the other setting. Technically, what you are doing with this is to reduce the pulses to fool the ecu to thinking the gear ratio is valid, ie the road spead vs the engine rpm. the moment you engage the overdrive, the rpm will drop, but the road speed is higher than what the ecu think its should be. so it doesn't not allow the cruise control to engage. Doing it this way, might be the preferred way for you as you can switch when you want the pulse reduction to kick in via the speedo healer. you might need the extra plug in switch for the speedo healer to work for the switching.

2. modify the valid gear ratio in the ECU map - this is more for those who have change the T-box ratio and cannot get the cruise control to engage in gear 5 due to the same thing that's happening above. If you know your way around how to remap the ECU, then this is definitely the easier way as you just need to use your calculator and not have to mess around with wires. Going this route also allows you to adjust the cruise control PID, or how hard it will accelerate when the speed falls below a certain value. From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #881734 29th Jan 2021 2:19pm
Bim

Thanks Mike would you have the speed healer switched with the cc so only on when selected
Post #881763 29th Jan 2021 4:21pm
Bim

[quote="achuakh"]you can do it two way and I've done both.

1. speedo healer - great you can program a A and B setting, so if you switch into your overdrive, if will use one setting while if you do not have the overdrive engaged, you can use the other setting. Technically, what you are doing with this is to reduce the pulses to fool the ecu to thinking the gear ratio is valid, ie the road spead vs the engine rpm. the moment you engage the overdrive, the rpm will drop, but the road speed is higher than what the ecu think its should be. so it doesn't not allow the cruise control to engage. Doing it this way, might be the preferred way for you as you can switch when you want the pulse reduction to kick in via the speedo healer. you might need the extra plug in switch for the speedo healer to work for the switching.

2. modify the valid gear ratio in the ECU map - this is more for those who have change the T-box ratio and cannot get the cruise control to engage in gear 5 due to the same thing that's happening above. If you know your way around how to remap the ECU, then this is definitely the easier way as you just need to use your calculator and not have to mess around with wires. Going this route also allows you to adjust the cruise control PID, or how hard it will accelerate when the speed falls below a certain value.

Thanks for that actuakh think I will go whith option 1 as this suits my driving style
As cc is only required for long motorway driving I would be in overdrive this will stop my leg from ceasing up
Laughing
Post #881768 29th Jan 2021 4:49pm
Wallywulpimuir

Australia 
achuakh wrote:
you can do it two way and I've done both.

2. modify the valid gear ratio in the ECU map - this is more for those who have change the T-box ratio and cannot get the cruise control to engage in gear 5 due to the same thing that's happening above. If you know your way around how to remap the ECU, then this is definitely the easier way as you just need to use your calculator and not have to mess around with wires. Going this route also allows you to adjust the cruise control PID, or how hard it will accelerate when the speed falls below a certain value.

achuakh I am in Australia and have done similar to you with option 2 this resolves the issues very easily even with a Roamerdrive on a Defender
What I cant find in the ECU is the Cruise control PID so I can change the harshness with which the vehicle accelerates when the cruise control is on can you give me any advice

Wally
Post #939951 28th Jan 2022 9:27pm
djam1

2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
I am interested in this subject as well
Post #940102 29th Jan 2022 10:04pm
BP

2007 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Coniston Green
I went with the speedhealer option as well for my cruise/overdrive setup. Works really well.
Post #952341 12th May 2022 7:57am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
4RF RDS wrote:
excossack wrote:
Digging up and old thread here...Do all TD5's support Cruise control ? Mine is a Jan 99' model.

FWIW... I have an 2000 MY and would love cruise as well but alas.... Its not cruise but this little mod made long distance driving a tad more comfortable by undoing one of the throttle springs. Its easier on the right leg.

Click image to enlarge
You may find driving along bumpy tracks will induce kangarooing with a light throttle spring TD5's were prone to this at the best of times
Post #952390 12th May 2022 5:14pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l wouldn't remove one spring completely, because if the other one ever fails you'll be stuck on full throttle.

You can make the pedal lighter by re drilling one of the spring locating holes so the spring still works but less strong.
Post #952394 12th May 2022 5:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345