↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My spanish 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White

Click image to enlarge

Todays little task was to clean the engine of old oil and throw in the new. Only issue is cleaning out my oil catch bucket, there is never enough space in the bottles that the new oil comes in to fit the oil that comes out. I’ll have to get another bottle of something to put the extra oil in that until the other container is empty.

Also oil quantity it’s noted 7 litres I always only seem to get 6 litres in. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #932495 5th Dec 2021 1:58pm
Race.it

So Thursday night minding my own business and get a text reminding me that I have to have an annual inspection before January the 8th.

Here in Spain (where I live) they send you a text message, you click on that link they locate closest appointment and all done, so did that got one for December 17th in the afternoon at 14:30, thought fine, but then noticed that it had selected a test station that was about 3 hours drive away from me, (there is one in the same town)

So back in and change appointment I had the choice of one time then once I changes station, of 6:45am today (so literally no notice at all to check the vehicle) if I tried to change date it said nothing available so had to take the offering.

Issue was I have been at Jerez race track all weekend (Friday to Sunday) so with a wing and a prayer it was off to the station this morning at 6:15 to join the queue for the lucky people that had the 6:45 appointment (thats the first one of the day), but they dont seem to go on time of appointment its time you get there, so for other cars in years gone past I have had a 8am appointment and got there at 7:50 signed in, and eventually had the car checked at 9:30 due to them running late, so to my surprise although I was about tenth in the queue, some of the people ahead of me had some paper work issues (they love paperwork here), so that meant I was bumped up the list and actually in my assigned lane seen first (one taxi passed through on another lane and got out just before me) but lucky for me, they agreed the tyres 265/65 r18 were within there 3% needed of the ones on my ficha technica (log book for them in the UK) and my LED rear tail lights were E marked so the tester was happy.

Only issue encountered was with the gas analysis part, I guess the machine was not working correctly as I saw the technician repeatedly kicking it and asking me to re-rev the engine to get a reading. Or my 2.4 is so clean he could not believe the results.

So annual test passed for the current year, and now I may get around to replacing the steering bars (both of them, as since I have had the car the rubber boots are perished, but its passed two annual tests with them like this, something that would not be allowed in the UK). It's a lot dryer here than in the UK where the protection is needed around the joints, but I have the parts from Mr Lewis so will hopefully over xmas fit them.

I would of posted a picture of my annual test sticker here but it was too early for me to remember to take a photo Rolling with laughter Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #933357 13th Dec 2021 8:50am
L110CDL

England 
Great to hear the 110 passed it's inspection Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #933601 14th Dec 2021 8:45pm
Race.it

So drivers door would not work. Key goes in but no turning was happening. Been getting it open from the passenger side for a couple of days. (Cannot wait to get central locking fitted)

So todays task was a little squirt in brake cleaner then more and more till the key freed itself. Work it around a little then lubricate with some other spray for lock lubrication. Whilst I was there also hit the passenger side with the lube to ensure that was happy.

Earlier in the week I got some Optimill goodies for the defender, so todays task was fitting the bonnet hinges.

It can be done by one person, just carefully.

Lift bonnet, remove one side old hinge, then lift that out of the holder. Remove the old bush from the old hinge, fit Optimill hinge bushes and then the hinge then bolt it on to the bonnet. Rinse and repeat for the other side.

Click image to enlarge

One note one side is stable when you have the hinge off the other side maybe not as stable and you need to rest the bonnet against the rubber gasket on the bulkhead a little till you are ready to fit the hinge, without that it wants to move about as it’s pivoting around. Right hand side was the harder of the two due to the movement that could occur. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #933869 16th Dec 2021 4:18pm
Race.it

So after chasing the UPS delivery around for 3 days, they have been taking lessons from Hermes about knock and run (well they don’t even knock)

Got my leather trim fitted.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Went for the 4 piece. Only encountered one issue, that being with my glove box. The leather on the glove box door means that the nut/bolt (little m4 countersunk bolt) does not reach through enough to grip, so off to Amazon and ordered a few m4 bolts in different lengths to fine one that I am happy with 8mm, 12mm, 16mm etc

Also have some Optimill hinges and the interior knobs to fit but don’t want to finish it all in one day 😂😂😂 Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #935566 29th Dec 2021 6:48pm
Race.it

Managed to get the vcv off my todo list today.

Has not been as easy as I hoped as it could not be accessed easily through the hole due to the bolts being very tight and frightened to round them off. Took the intake manifold off route. That also allowed me to spot that the gaskets were past there due date and a little hard and looked to be letting out possible pressure.

But vcv was a lot simpler to access then, with a 1/4” wrench and 5mm allen socket.

Even better news after I had put it back together the engine fired up first time and from what I can see no leaks.

https://youtube.com/shorts/vzWV9u5t4fY?feature=share

Hoping to do a trip soon that normally triggered my issue with power loss, but until then I won’t know 100% if it’s fixed. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #937103 10th Jan 2022 5:46pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
How clean or dirty was the inside of the manifold? Much soot build-up? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #937105 10th Jan 2022 5:47pm
Race.it

There was a bit but not massive amounts. Used to have a bmw 320d with swirl flap issues this one was clean in comparison Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #937106 10th Jan 2022 5:51pm
Race.it

Forgot to take a photo of it, as had a neighbour pestering me at the same time, so more concentrated on getting all the bolts etc back in the correct places Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #937107 10th Jan 2022 5:52pm
Race.it

Got a mud shield package from Gwyn today, so that’s my weekend sorted. Also need to see if I can wire up the reversing camera, and put in the cables for the rear most door central locking that goes over the roof lining. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #938542 20th Jan 2022 5:24pm
L110CDL

England 
Hope it all goes well for your jobs this weekend Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #938738 21st Jan 2022 8:54pm
Race.it

Well so far the ore4x4 stainless bumper is fitted, also some croytec vent rings as the origional ones were let’s just say past there best days.

Before

Click image to enlarge

After

Click image to enlarge

Gap has improved and I now have a straight bumper.

Though got side tracked with the gwyn Lewis stuff as the other half’s bmw broke its exhaust so sourced one but as hers is the run out model of the e46 most exhausts don’t fit, they changed the hanger system for the last 12 months of production. So spent most of the time fiddling with that and eventually replacing the front subframe reinforcement mount so I could bolt on the exhaust hanger in the position it would of been for the earlier car.

Exhaust specifically for the car €1000
Exhaust for the earlier car €100
New subframe front mount €25
New exhaust rubber hanger €25
Two m8 nyloc nuts (free as nicked from my second row door openers that I recently got but had not fitted.

Time to muck about and fit the above 2 hours.

Click image to enlarge

End result no more time for defender this weekend, but a couple of items are on. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #938976 23rd Jan 2022 11:37am
Race.it

Managed to get the front mud flaps fitted today. Was going to tackle the sumo bars but decided to do the mud flaps as thought it would be quicker than the sumo bars.

Took me about 2 hours to do the one side, then as usual 30 mins for the opposite side.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Going to have to take them off to trim the mud shields down so they don’t show. It’s says in the instructions but I did not have a knife or my grinder with me to trim them down. So another day to trim them.

Click image to enlarge
 Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #940092 29th Jan 2022 9:07pm
Race.it

Managed to get the second row door extension plates fitted today, so now I can fit stuff in to the back row of seats easier.

Also tracked down a wheel wobble, at about 90kph (not mph) I would get a vibración through the wheels, like a wheel needed balancing, I could drive through it and it would become smooth again. Last year I brought some sumo bars, but have not got around to fitting them.

Fitted the rear bar today (drag link I think it’s called, but it maybe not). Short test drive as still need to tighten the 27mm nut properly (the amount of new larger spanners and sockets that you need to own with a defender, 24mm, 27mm, and others)

Closer inspection to the old bar, both boots were split (not an annual road test fail over here) and it was not smooth to move both ball joints.

Still need to do the steering rod (tie rod?) and I am changing it over to the straight arm, as both the boots on this have also got splits in them. But that’s going to be when I have my new socket and 27mm spanner arrive. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #940175 30th Jan 2022 12:29pm
Race.it

Continuing the sumo bar installation.

Drop arm changed for a discovery one and both bars installed with grease nipples.

Click image to enlarge

Once I have done a few little trips, I’ll fold over the lock washer.

Click image to enlarge

Looks like my swivel seals will need doing soon, this is the present that never stops giving 😂 Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #941136 5th Feb 2022 4:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>