↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > My V8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Dowks

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Keswick Green
Hi

I would appreciate some opinions if you don't mind.
Took the car into get the mechanic to have a look over. Chassis and bulkhead in decent shape given age, but....
It needs a new rear cross member and some outrigger repairs on the chassis. Bulkhead similar, new footwells and tops, plus some make good on existing repairs. Probably looking at £1500+ or so if they did it.

Other option is bite the bullet and galvanized chassis and potentially same with the bulkhead (I don't know if there are replacement bulkheads for the V8 or if repair and galv mine).

It is a keeper so want to do it "right"

Any downside to losing the original chassis versus the originality? Not planning on export but am in two minds.

Engine wise will probably look to replace cam and carbs to get a bit more power out but keep hold of the original bits.

Thank you in advance
Post #791398 9th Sep 2019 10:26am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Progress looks great already! Genuinely pleased you're putting back to original (so far as possible). Thumbs Up Bow down

Changing chassis obviously takes away some originality and could limit USA market (?), but if it's a keeper it may not be a concern. Could you repair the original chassis then get it galvanised.

You may be interested in the below thread dedicated to Ninety and One Ten, if you introduce yourself on there you'll find a wealth of expertise happy to give you proper advice. Thumbs Up

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic66173...ten+thread James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #791430 9th Sep 2019 12:34pm
Dowks

So thread resurrection!

Shortly after my last post the Ninety went into the local garage, where for a variety of reasons beyond my control it has sat tucked up in the dry.... but finally the time has come for some work to start. I have been able to play around with my 130 in the meantime so not complaining.

The process hopefully now begins. I plan to retain as much as possible. Chassis and bulkhead both going to be repaired as required. Engine is going to get some and work but intend to leave it on the existing carbs, just clean everything up.

I should get some respray quotes shortly including making good the maze of rivet holes from the chequer plate which covered the car..... suspect I need to be sat down for that quote.

Truck cab is going to be replaced with a heavy duty stick set, full canvas, and plan on getting two rear seats (forward facing folding) for the kids in the back plus three across the front.
Post #936354 4th Jan 2022 8:17pm
Dowks

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #936356 4th Jan 2022 8:19pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Looks like your getting your teeth into it and good luck from another v8 owner 👍 I think I win the award for longest restoration at 6.5 years so your making quick progress by that standard 😂
Post #936366 4th Jan 2022 9:30pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great to see the restoration up and going again.

Just had my V8 converted to a soft top, can't wait for some sun now! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #936391 5th Jan 2022 7:28am
Dowks

I would appreciate some advice

My intention is to convert to a soft top, and place two forward facing seats in the back for my kids. On the look out for some of the Exmoor loc and fold seats which I assume are my only (massively expensive) option unless I convert the rear tub to take a Puma folding seat?

I am looking at options for the hood sticks, is it possible to put a heavy duty/cage set in and lose the bulkhead? I am 6’ 2” so keen to lose the bulkhead but the safety devices heavy duty sticks seem to require the bulkhead.
Post #936393 5th Jan 2022 7:45am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Dowks wrote:
I would appreciate some advice

My intention is to convert to a soft top, and place two forward facing seats in the back for my kids. On the look out for some of the Exmoor loc and fold seats which I assume are my only (massively expensive) option unless I convert the rear tub to take a Puma folding seat?

I am looking at options for the hood sticks, is it possible to put a heavy duty/cage set in and lose the bulkhead? I am 6’ 2” so keen to lose the bulkhead but the safety devices heavy duty sticks seem to require the bulkhead.

Those exmoor ones are the only ones im aware of which are forward facing and never heard of someone converting to a puma spec tub or doing a mod but id assume its possible but youd have to see where they mount to as it wont just be on the thin ali tub id expect.

For hood sticks you cant go far wrong with allwheeltrim/purely metals combo which a number of us have. Its definately compatible if you remove the bulkhead as they bolt only onto the outside edges of the bulkhead where the roof would have been bolted.

I can understand why your thinking fwd facing seats but given your building a soft top and with normal/hd hood sticks im not sure your really building in too much protection tbh. seems a bit of contradiction! and a defender is never going to be safe to a modern standard.
Post #936403 5th Jan 2022 9:05am
Dowks

Thank you

I appreciate the thoughts. I also agree with your point regarding contradiction. Maybe the way to go is accepting I can’t carry the little ones in it (7,6 and 2) stick with some fold down occasional seats and go from there. Doesn’t really impact the build as I can always stick the exmoor ones in later. £2k of seat could be well spent elsewhere as well
Post #936417 5th Jan 2022 10:47am
Piggy501

Scotland 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Arrow Red
mikeh501 wrote:
Dowks wrote:
[...] unless I convert the rear tub to take a Puma folding seat

[...] never heard of someone converting to a puma spec tub or doing a mod but id assume its possible but youd have to see where they mount to as it wont just be on the thin ali tub id expect.

Parts

Basic write up

Not something I've done, just pointing out the kit is out there. I'm sure I've seen the panels from another supplier too but the name eludes me.
Post #938474 20th Jan 2022 11:39am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you search this forum you will find at least one thread where someone has converted a non-Puma-SW flat-top tub to take Puma seats, albeit some time ago. It is entirely feasible especially with the parts linked in the post above.

I suppose alternatively you could just swap the tub.
Post #938498 20th Jan 2022 2:01pm
Dowks

I think it's probably easier to just suck up the cost of the Exmoor foldable ones which I believe (dangerous assumption) fit the pre-Puma tub
Post #938499 20th Jan 2022 2:27pm
Dowks

OK so some progress. The work is being done for me by Terry and Tara at Lanes 4x4 (formerly known as Challenger 4x4) as I lack the space, time and skill (mainly skill...)

After some back and forward we have decided to save the original chassis, it has the matching VIN stamped on and figured if it has survived this long we can save it. Needs a small amount of welding, so will be blasted, welded then galv and then buzzweld.

Bulkhead is in reasonable shape but needs some welding, bodge repair on the drivers footwell needs rectifying but otherwise not horrible

Once the chassis is off will focus on getting the bulkhead sorted. The body panels are fairly good, multiple holes from the chequer plate, so have decided to get them welded up instead of filler, ahead of the respray in the original Stratos Blue

Overall hoping to keep as original as possible with a few exceptions - bulkhead removal bar so I can actually not break my back, new wiper spindles, change cam, upgrade fuse box and loom, exhaust, disc brakes on rear axle, so hopefully discreet mods in the main.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #939156 24th Jan 2022 10:22am
Dowks

Will probably look to find a new home for the truck cab roof, rear windows and headliner as it is unlikely to go back on, mainly because I struggle to fit in with it on!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #939157 24th Jan 2022 10:23am
Ranger 6

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Rimini Red
Good to see this coming on - we'll have to have a Surrey V8 owners meet when it's finished, but give me some notice so I can clean mine Laughing

When did the change to Lanes happen? Challenger did some work on mine, but that was a while ago. 90 V8 CSW - 1988
Post #940965 4th Feb 2022 2:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>