↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Brake Pipe (not braided lines) replacement….
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Brake Pipe (not braided lines) replacement….
Ok. It’s taken 6 weeks with juggling of workshop time, mate’s work schedule, parts, Christmas hols, Covid etc, (not to mention two full disassembles and reassembles due to a ruptured seal on the concentric slave on refit number one), to get the clutch and output shaft replaced. Test drive today, works like a dream. But then it all goes horribly wrong. Brake pedal feels spongy and we noticed some dripping under the engine. Source? Brake reservoir pipe leak. The metal one with 90 degree bends that runs near the engine manifold heat shield. Really? REALLY? I have a ferry booked for midday on Sunday. No way will I get the part sourced, let alone fitted before my ETD of midnight Saturday. I love my Def, but OMG Big Cry

So. Couple of questions on the pipes:

Does anyone know the part numbers? I’m going to do LHS and RHS. 1 and 2 in the photo below.
Should I avoid Britpart? All I can currently find in France. If so, who else?
Should I fit the one from the reservoir to the junction as well?
Is this an easy refit?
Should I do my braided lines at the same time, given I assume I’ll have to re bleed the system?

Note, this is for NON ABS. But I have no idea what a brake limiting valve is and whether I have one? Anyone help?

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey

Last edited by Grenadier on 14th Jan 2022 8:54am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #937548 13th Jan 2022 3:39pm
Philm

United Kingdom 
Any decent garage should be able to make them for you.
Post #937549 13th Jan 2022 3:55pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Or you can make the pipe yourself.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #937551 13th Jan 2022 3:59pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
When I did my rear calipers one of the solid lines was in poor condition.

I needed the vehicle back on the road so made up my own line. I didn't have a flare tool but picked one up from Halfords - whilst not amazing it was decent enough for me to be able to make up a new line.

So if you can get hold of a length of copper brake pipe and a flare tool locally you should be able to get it sorted. Might get you out of trouble and back on the road

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/...87982.html > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #937559 13th Jan 2022 4:41pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
So. Couple of questions on the pipes:

Does anyone know the part numbers? I’m going to do LHS and RHS. 1 and 2 in the photo below.
Should I avoid Britpart? All I can currently find in France. If so, who else?
Should I fit the one from the reservoir to the junction as well?
Is this an easy refit?
Should I do my braided lines at the same time, given I assume I’ll have to re bleed the system?

Note, this is for NON ABS. But I have no idea what a brake limiting valve is and whether I have one? Anyone help?

So if you go to LR Workshop (where that image is from) and click on the blue numbers in the image the LR part numbers will pop up.

Nothing wrong with Britpart brake lines, at the end of the day they are unlikely to make them.

However.... If I was in your position and I am Rolling Eyes I would buy this kit from eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304294783920?Vi...4294783920 and get it posted out to you. All you will need to do is take your old pipe off and bend the new one to its shape. The seller is excellent and this is the kit I have downstairs ready to fit. In the Miffy thread you can see how the kit arrives and the quality of the lines - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53859-345.html Page 24 if this directs you to the last page...

The most time consuming part of this is the removal, shaping and refitting. But, you can do it all in your driveway. Or in a muddy patch like I am going to have to do. Hurry up summer and dryness...

As for the braided hoses, if you have braided hoses and not the standard rubber LR items then no real point, however if they are the rubber LR items then yes they are worth replacing and if you are doing it buy the +2" versions just in case you decide to lift the Defender at a later date.

Hope that helps Thumbs Up
Post #937565 13th Jan 2022 5:18pm
Grenadier

Thanks all. No realistic chance I’ll get anyone to build me a set over here. Waaay to much work for local garages to worry about such little work. And frankly with material and labour costs in France, likely cost just as much as a fabricated set. Same problem DIY, as finding the materials etc will be difficult. So I’ll probably go down Geobloke’s route. Thanks Geobloke. Although I’ll be swapping a muddy base for one covered in snow. Rolling with laughter Will also fit the braided lines, (already bought and sitting in the barn) and do a calliper clean, and stainless steel piston upgrade.

Can someone confirm if the Td5 lines are the same as a Puma?
And any thoughts on the brake limiting valve? If I have one? How I check? Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #937665 14th Jan 2022 8:53am
matchap801

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Hi Grenadier.
I am getting ready to replace brake lines on 2009 CSW. It’s a real headache trying to figure out what parts and flaring I need.
Have you tried the VIN DECODER on the LRWORKSHOP site, it sort of works it out for you? https://www.lrworkshop.com/vin-decoder
I would be interested to see what you do in terms of making the pipes yourself.
Good luck. Mat
Post #937727 14th Jan 2022 5:09pm
Grenadier

Hi Matchap,

I’ve decided against making the pipes myself. Materials and tools are a lot more expensive in France, so by the time I’ve got round to buying all the tools, pipe (only sold in 35m lengths) and the connectors (sold in packs of 50 or 100) I’m at a price that is higher than getting a set from Motor Dad, (the eBay link on Geobloke’s post) or through Automec (also recommended by Geobloke). Note that Motordad doesn’t (yet) do a version specific for a Puma. I’m trying to confirm if the pipes are actually the same as a Td5 (at least for a non ABS version as mine) and if they aren’t I’ll be measuring the pipes for him to make the set from.

Keep you posted. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #937902 16th Jan 2022 7:56am
matchap801

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Grenadier. I am in a similar position. I am hoping to get time to measure the pipes. Mine is NON ABS with brake limiting valve. Time is against me though. Did the A Feame ball joint yesterday. Huge difference and went fairly well!
Post #937910 16th Jan 2022 9:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1