↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bulkhead Foam and Rubber matting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Bulkhead Foam and Rubber matting
My td5 110 had thick foam backed rubber matting that fitted to the bulkhead and footwells. The tunnel and floor mats then fitted up to that. 4 separate pieces.

Picture is not great but it is the only one I can find of mine:

Click image to enlarge

This one was nicked from the internet:

If I sourced another would it fit a tdi? I have looked at the Wright offroad and Exmoor trim ones for tdi / LT77 and they seem to focus on the seatbox and a one-piece mat for tunnel and floor which I would rather avoid as I get them wet often and regularly remove for cleaning and drying.

Any other alternatives?
Post #937323 12th Jan 2022 9:47am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
With a bit of modification yes, the Td5 bulkhead matting will work well with the Wright Off-road Tdi floor/tunnel mat. This is what I have in my 90. I had to trim the bit of the Td5 bulkhead matt around the tunnel, and then the Wright Off-road one sits up to it nicely to cover the cut areas. Combined with the seatbox part of the latter it gives a very neat finish.

In progress here but you can see how the two systems meet up.

Click image to enlarge
Post #937346 12th Jan 2022 1:17pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I have been looking for the part that go on the central part of the bulkhead, but to date no joy.
I could get a cheap knock off for the LT77 tunnel, MUC1621.

Edit: Bulkhead mat is ETD103270. Make sure you are sitting down before checking pricing. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #937383 12th Jan 2022 4:34pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Crikey, that is expensive isn't it?

I do like the look of the Wright offroad mat but in the td5 I liked that the footwell mats came out separately. Seems to be limited choices though.

Like your fitment and it looks good. Do you notice much of a difference? My ears were bleeding after the 300 mile trip to the lakes in September.
Post #937388 12th Jan 2022 5:09pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
It’s difficult to compare as it’s so subjective, but it seems to work well. Did 4,500 miles to the Pyrenees and back just after finishing it in August and had no issues. But tolerance of noise varies significantly as does the effectiveness of soundproofing in different vehicles.
Post #937519 13th Jan 2022 12:34pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Do the Pumas have this as well?
Post #937653 14th Jan 2022 5:45am
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
Yes, and upto 2012 it is the same as the Td5, just with the area around the tunnel trimmed away more to clear the mt82 tunnel, and hole for the bonnet release mechansim.
After 2012 the matting changed to accommodate the dpf footwell.
Post #937655 14th Jan 2022 5:56am
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
bodstruck wrote:
Crikey, that is expensive isn't it?

I do like the look of the Wright offroad mat but in the td5 I liked that the footwell mats came out separately. Seems to be limited choices though.

Like your fitment and it looks good. Do you notice much of a difference? My ears were bleeding after the 300 mile trip to the lakes in September.

I have full Td5 bulkhead / footwell /tunnel / seatbox matting in a 300tdi. Makes a very noticeable difference.

The Td5 would’ve come from factory with combined floor and tunnel mat. As yours was three piece what usually happens is the drivers mat wears through, so both floor mats are cut away leaving the tunnel mat. Then standard footwell over mats are dropped in place.
Post #937656 14th Jan 2022 6:01am
donmacn

Hi folks,

I know this is a slightly older thread, but at least it's not properly ancient.

I'm sold on the Wright matting. I've had this in my car for a long time. As above, I also paired it with a cut-off of the OEM matting for those sections which the Wright system doesn't cover - the 'kick' and 'toe' panels you might call them.

I'm working on a mate's car now and will be installing the Wright system in his - but now the cost of an OEM mat, even on eBay breakers seems high. Maybe not if I was going to use the whole thing, but to pay £200+ for something we're going to cut up seems daft.

Anyone else been here and found reasonable alternative? Even a search term I could plug into google would help. If I try 'rubber and foam matting' all I get is footwell carpets for Euroboxes....

Ta Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #993609 22nd May 2023 12:02pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Retroanaconda wrote:
With a bit of modification yes, the Td5 bulkhead matting will work well with the Wright Off-road Tdi floor/tunnel mat. This is what I have in my 90. I had to trim the bit of the Td5 bulkhead matt around the tunnel, and then the Wright Off-road one sits up to it nicely to cover the cut areas. Combined with the seatbox part of the latter it gives a very neat finish.

In progress here but you can see how the two systems meet up.

Click image to enlarge

Is that a td5 bulkhead fitted? Any pictures of the mat on the Seatbox tunnel end? I have a 90 with a late td5 bulkhead and td5 Seatbox modified with a LT77 tunnel diaphragm and I was thinking of doing this.
Post #994043 25th May 2023 9:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1