↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 90 D250 fuel economy question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
90 D250 fuel economy question
What MPG can l expect from this vehicle on local short journeys? My 2005 110 TD5 manages around 25mpg

l drive carefully with a view to fuel economy (no more than 2,000rpm in my TD5) but don't hold the traffic up.

20mpg was mentioned on my other thread (110 D300) but hope someone who actually owns a Defender 90 with the D200 or D250 3.0 can tell me what real world mpg they are achieving.

On the Land Rover site it says the diesel is 29-32mpg
Autocar saw 25-28mpg in "prolonged testing"

These figures are important to me as l do a high mileage, but composed of a lot of short journeys with one or two longer ones.
Post #937486 13th Jan 2022 10:39am
Tim in Scotland

Mixed driving with a fair bit of low ratio stuff off-road - bear in mind this is a D240 4cylinder in a heavier 110 now with 15300 miles on it and running GoodYear Duratracs. Shortest runs are 4.5miles to the next village and back but mostly 16 miles each way on fast A roads to town and 3 x 500 mile round trips on motorways are included in this log. I would hope your D250 with more torque even on short journeys wouldn’t be much worse. Since late November I’ve been using a Mini Electric for the local driving stuff. Neither car is a work vehicle and I’m retired so there is no commuting too. Over the winters I haven’t held back on the remote start/pre-heating that uses around 0.5ltr per run too.

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #937492 13th Jan 2022 11:03am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Well that looks pretty good, 25-30mpg l
can live with but 20mpg may be an issue. lt looks like you are averaging just over 30mpg which would be great.
Post #937516 13th Jan 2022 1:21pm
Tim in Scotland

Here are the overall average and best from my Fuelly.com records

Click image to enlarge

Here’s my 1996 TDi300 90’s by comparison - it’s running on standard size BFG MT’s all the time

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #937518 13th Jan 2022 1:34pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Mine is a 3.0l D200 but again a 110 and these are the figures I'm getting, admittedly I've only done just over 3K miles, most of which is short journeys but there was a couple of drives up to Glasgow and back which is approx a 300 mile round trip for me. The big dip in the middle of the graph was when it was driven off-road all day and achieved around 21mpg. I'm no boy racer and drive a lot more sedately now I'm retired but like yourself I'm not one to hold up traffic and most of the journey to Glasgow is sitting at 70mph on the cruise control. One other thing to note is that these are the actual mpg figures from fill ups, the cars on board computer does tend to overestimate the MPG reading like most other Land Rovers. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #937540 13th Jan 2022 3:27pm
Alicat

United Kingdom 
I have a D250 90 and the MPG varies.

Short runs (less than 5 miles) from cold, town driving gives 20mpg to 25mpg.

Longer runs with dual carriageways can easily give 30mpg+

Journeys of 50 miles+ with steady motorway speeds can see over 40mpg.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I hope this helps
Post #937542 13th Jan 2022 3:53pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Also remember the slower speed limits for the commercials on dual carriageways and A roads should help with the fuel economy Wink 
Post #937544 13th Jan 2022 4:24pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Averaging 32.8mpg on my D200 110 over the last 19k miles and 12 months.

It’s always been over 30mpg except for the very first fill up which was towing a heavy trailer a few hundred miles across the highlands.

Click image to enlarge
Post #937574 13th Jan 2022 7:05pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
This is all good news, thank you. lf l can get get 25-30mpg that will be fine, l
was just a bit concerned when someone mentioned 20mpg.

l guess it depends how you drive it.

l forgot about the Commercial speed limits, have to watch that particularly on the Smart Motorways. Wouldn't the Defender be classed as a "car derived van" ?
Post #937606 13th Jan 2022 9:50pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Nope, its a van and doesn't count as a dual purpose vehicle as its too heavy (has to be under 2040kg unladen) to drive at car speeds. Car derived vans have to have a gross weight under 2 tonnes. A 90HT is 2300kg empty

You're ok on the motorway but 60mph on dual carriageway and 50mph on single. 

Last edited by camelman on 13th Jan 2022 10:57pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #937615 13th Jan 2022 10:13pm
Jacobyte

United Kingdom 
Does anyone know if the Speed limit sign recognition/speed limiter software takes the commercial vehicle speed limits into account?
Post #937625 13th Jan 2022 10:37pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
To be honest those speeds are fine with me, l will most likely be towing a caravan anyway.

When not towing
l sit at 60mph in my 2005 Defender on the motorway, it will do 70 but why bother? at 60 mph it uses less fuel and makes for a more laid back drive.

l fitted cruise control so l am happy to stay at 60mph and let the world go by in the outside lane. We still get there and it doesn't seem to make much difference to actual journey times.
Post #937630 13th Jan 2022 11:02pm
haymeister

Japan 
lightning wrote:
This is all good news, thank you. lf l can get get 25-30mpg that will be fine, l
was just a bit concerned when someone mentioned 20mpg.

l guess it depends how you drive it.

l forgot about the Commercial speed limits, have to watch that particularly on the Smart Motorways. Wouldn't the Defender be classed as a "car derived van" ?

I think I was the one who mentioned 20mpg for short trips in your other thread.

Just to provide you with some more data from my personal use.

I exported the trip data from the in-control app which was sent via email and I bucketed the trips according to distance.
Then I worked out the averages according to each bucket.
I took the sum of the distance and sum of the fuel used to calculate the average per bucket, as opposed to average of the averages (this seldom makes sense unless the trips are identical)

Screenshot below is what the data shows.

My trips under 10km (6.2 miles) are predominantly urban in a city or large town, and do NOT consist of British type dual carriageways, 'faster' A roads, or less trafficked B road roads.
The average speed on these short trips (average of averages according to the export, I've not found the patience to figure out some time formatting issues in excel) is 24 km/h or 15 mph, which seems pretty average for city driving.

As someone mentioned: cold start, my car that weighs at least 2.5 tons unladen EU (I have pan roof and 7 seats), and short distances will not bode well for fuel economy. That is what my experience tells me, and I'm light on the loud pedal. I rarely drop below 98% on the pivi pro driving score (whatever that means lol)

Again this is based on my personal trips on a 110 D300 (albeit the D250 is the same engine just de-tuned and the official WLTP and CO2 numbers are identical) so take it with a grain of salt.

As I side, the fuel economy is great for longer trips. I would not be surprised if it could do 40mpg at a steady 55mph

Click image to enlarge
 22MY Defender 110 D300 S in Pangea Green and Contrast White Roof
IG defender_japan "Hulk san"
Post #937647 14th Jan 2022 1:49am
lightning

United Kingdom 
That's really useful information, thank you.

I think l will be able to achieve 25-30mpg which will be okay. lt's great that the vehicle will manage 35+ mpg on longer runs (if driven at 60mph) my old Defender won't manage more than 30mpg whatever you do with it.

We did once manage 32mpg overall during a road trip around Spain, where speed limits are lower and we had mainly long distances at around 50mph
Post #937810 15th Jan 2022 10:04am
lightning

United Kingdom 
l just found this thread, from back when l ordered my Defender.

l can report back that in mainly local driving between customers and the occasional longer journey l am averaging 26mpg

On longer runs l've achieved 40mpg
It's a 90 Commercial D250

However that's according to the MPG display on the dashboard. Although £60 of diesel (37 litres) takes me around 200 miles which equates to around 25mpg

So it's not too far out.
Post #976998 7th Jan 2023 3:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>