Home > Td5 > TD5 strange starting issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Christian1402

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Indus Silver
TD5 strange starting issue
Hi guys,

I seem to be having some starting issues on my 2004 td4 defender.

When its really cold, it used to struggle to start, it would turn over, fire on one or two, then die. I'd crank it over again and it would fire on maybe 3 for a few seconds then fire on all 5 and come onto choke as usual.

I changed the glow plugs and checked the glow plug relay, with no success. This was only happening when it was getting towards freezing temperatures. It would be fine at anything above say 4 celcius.

I put up with it for a while but now the issue has changed somewhat. Over the last couple of days, again only when the car is cold, the engine struggles to turn over. It seems to jump a little on the starter motor. Once the engine is warm it turns over and fires perfectly every time.

I considered starter motor solenoid, but this would affect the car every time rather than when the engine is cold, same with a bad earth.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what to try?

Thanks
Christian
Post #936660 7th Jan 2022 7:35am
Christian1402

I should add some more information;

The FPR was changed a couple of months ago along with the fuel filter. The fuel pump can be a little noisy when the fuel level is less than a quarter in the tank.

The battery is healthy.

The glow plug light on the dash seems to stay on for ages first thing in the morning on a cold start.

Injector harness was done a couple of months ago, barely any oil in the red plug.

I'm not sure if I'm dealing with 2 separate issues here;

The missfire from cold (possibly fuel pump/injector seals/ bleed valve)

The car struggling to turn over when cold (honestly no idea other than earth/starter issues)

I can deal with the missfire as I have ideas as to whats causing that, but does anyone know what could be causing the engine to jump on the starter when cold? I'll try and get a video later on when i finish work.

Thanks
Post #936664 7th Jan 2022 8:05am
Mdm

United Kingdom 
the misfire can be many things so it needs plugging in asap to se eif there is any fault codes.

misfires on a td5 points towards a failed injector normally.

is the oil level rising?
Post #936667 7th Jan 2022 8:35am
Christian1402

I haven't checked the oil level but I will check tomorrow morning. I don't know anyone with nanocom so I'm not sure how I'd go about scanning it or getting live data
Post #936669 7th Jan 2022 9:02am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I would change the starter. I’m assuming that you changed the fuel pressure regulator due to it leaking, and if it was leaking they drip onto your starter motor. A dodgy starter motor can give a strange electrical spike to the ecu causing issues.
Post #936680 7th Jan 2022 11:03am
Christian1402

correct, it was leaking quite badly when i bought the defender. I'll try and get some electrical cleaner onto the starter and see if that makes any difference, its been fine after I changed the FPR up until yesterday. It only seems to do it on a cold start, once the cars been running its fine.
Post #936691 7th Jan 2022 12:42pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Think it more likely to be a leaking injector seal. Can you hear the fuel pump moving air when it primes when you first turn on the ignition?

As above, check the oil level and odour asap to make sure fuel is not leaking into the sump and diluting it.

I have had many injector sealing issues, almost all of them have been caused by the copper seal at the base of the injector failing and allowing combustion gas into the fuel system which has given poor cold start issues.

The last issue I had was fuel in the oil which was caused by the somewhat common cracked head which didnt cause any cold start issues.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #936692 7th Jan 2022 12:49pm
dorsetsmith

have you checked fuel pressure pump running only and engine running too (4bar + all time) as you nosey pump also fuel filter head duck bill valve and air bleed, then checking fuel pressure in retune fuel also check air bubbles in the fuel with clear pipe in line

glow plug light on the dash seems to stay on for ages first thing in the morning on a cold start -time for glow plug set by ecu and engine coolant and air temp at filter box

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 7th Jan 2022 1:04pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #936694 7th Jan 2022 12:56pm
Christian1402

I can when the level in the tank is on the red, but other than that the pump sounds fine, if not a tiny bit noisy, but it doesn't sound like its pulling air through.

The thing is, if the ambient temp is more than say 3-4 degrees, the car starts first time every time, whether its a cold start or not. its only when the ambient air temp is really low that it will struggle to start.

I'll check the oil tomorrow morning and see what the level is like and if it smells of diesel or not.
Post #936695 7th Jan 2022 12:58pm
Christian1402

dorsetsmith wrote:
have you checked fuel pressure pump running only and engine running too (4bar + all time) as you nosey pump also fuel filter head duck bill valve and air bleed

I have no way of checking the fuel pressure unfortunately. I may order a bleed valve and non return valve as they are only cheap and easy to replace
Post #936696 7th Jan 2022 12:59pm
mark1200

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
As you only have this problem when the weather is cold, have you got quality winter diesel in the tank ? also how old is your battery ? if its tired even though it will turn over the engine if the voltage drops to about 10 volts the ecu dont like it and wont send diesel to the engine. i had staring issues like yours and in my case it was the ecu that was the problem. ££££££ to repair. Have you tried to use a jumper battery to eliminate a possible dieing battery ?
Post #936705 7th Jan 2022 1:31pm
Christian1402

It's got the usual shell fuel in it, which i have refilled many times.

I'm not sure how old the battery is, but it seems healthy enough, I can hook up another battery though and see if that makes a difference
Post #936717 7th Jan 2022 4:29pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Hi mate, hope your well. Given that it seems to be temperature related, are the glow plugs working? Is it any better if you give them a double heat up?
Post #936782 8th Jan 2022 8:40am
Christian1402

Hi mate, not too bad thanks. Yourself?

The glow plugs are definitely working ok, the plugs themselves have been replaced and they are getting power. If I try to cycle them twice in a row it won’t let me, if I turn the ignition on for a second time the glow plug light doesn’t come on. From what I’ve read it’s something built into the logic in the ecu
Post #936784 8th Jan 2022 9:27am
mark1200

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
did you manage to get your truck sorted ?
Post #938703 21st Jan 2022 4:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>