↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 strange starting issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Interesting problem. So this mis-starting only happens when it is cold, sub zero cold. Is that right? and being Cumbria it can get pretty cold over night.

Curious to know what oil you are using and when it was last changed. Are you using 5w30 fully synthetic or something else? It is not uncommon to hear of 10w30/40 being used because that is what was in the shed.

Obviously the TD5 is a 5 cylinder but only has 4 glow plugs so does have a tendency to be a little miss-fiery and rough until it gets up to temperature on really cold days. But to fire then die is weird.

I know you have just changed the glow plugs but did you test them before fitting? it is not uncommon for glow plugs to be dud, especially cheaper glow plugs.

I wonder if you have an ECU problem. One that when cold causes something (a dry joint perhaps) to disconnect intermittently... Or dare I say a chaffed engine loom that shorts to the block when cold.
Post #938710 21st Jan 2022 5:52pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
landy andy wrote:
I would change the starter. I’m assuming that you changed the fuel pressure regulator due to it leaking, and if it was leaking they drip onto your starter motor. A dodgy starter motor can give a strange electrical spike to the ecu causing issues.

l had the exact same thing, changed various things and eventually traced it to the starter motor.

A TD5 should still start instantly from cold in temperature around freezing without working glow plugs.
Post #938759 22nd Jan 2022 12:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12