↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Dingo II window/clamp mount CB aerial - any experience?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Dingo II window/clamp mount CB aerial - any experience?
I've got an Alan 42/Midland handheld CB and want to be able to connect to an external aerial. One option is to use a Dingo II clipped over the top of a (rear) window on my 110. Has anyone got any experience of this aerial. For example clearance to the Defender gutter, use when green laning, resiliance to attack by trees etc, window breaking under strain etc.

If I don't use this method then the only option is to mount an antenna to the front of my roof rack and run yet another cable through the car/skin. I have a rear facing roof tent which limits some of the more usual mounting options.

The Midland 42 used to work well as a hand held but with load/dog guard, utility rear section and mantec guards on the rear door I think I'm getting too much attenuation particularly to/from those behind me.

Thoughts/advice most welcome
Post #92707 4th Oct 2011 11:26pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Possible alternatives includes taking cable under top of door seal then down the back of the A pillar post cover.

Another alternative if you have a snorkel is to tywrap cable to outside of snorkel then going under bonnet and then through one of grommets in the bulkhead.

Brendan
Post #92708 4th Oct 2011 11:32pm
SteveS

Thanks Brendan - had thought about the snorkel route - that would be reasonably neat.

To everyone else - anyone got experience of using the Dingo II?

S
Post #92873 5th Oct 2011 10:25pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've never used one but, having looked at the details on 4x4cb.com, I'd say it's ok for road use but not green laning or similar. IMHO there would be a very real danger of breaking a window if the aerial or mount were to be clobbered by a tree.

On my old DI I fixed a length of black plastic conduit to the side of a Safari snorkel, up which were routed a CB aerial lead and power feeds for roof mounted lights.

It worked really well in that everything was neat and tidy and it gave a bit of flexibility as things were added or changed. If you've already got a roof rack and a snorkel then that would seem to offer a neat and robust solution.

Other than that, buy a decent gutter mount and run the cable through the door seal as already suggested. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #92879 5th Oct 2011 10:55pm
SteveS

yes - I've been giving this some thought and I think you're right in that it would be likely to be hit by a tree and snap or worse still break a window - think I'll go for a cable up the outside of the snorkel and across to a rack mounted unit in the centre of the truck

Thanks for the advice
Post #93189 7th Oct 2011 7:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1