↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Log burner hints & tips
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Log burner hints & tips
We're having a Hunter Herald Allure 4 log burner fitted on Monday.

I managed to do most of the enabling works (opening the chimney, adding in a steel lintel, rebricking the sides, pouring a new 'sub-hearth' and rendered the sides) which has saved me over £1k - very proud of myself!

Does anyone have any hints & tips for once it's fitted? Preferred logs - Oak, Ash, Birch? Kiln dried vs naturally seasoned? Proper lighting techniques? 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #931115 25th Nov 2021 3:58pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
We have two log burners and buy a pallet of these every year.

They comply with our local smokeless fuel regulations

Click image to enlarge
 Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #931118 25th Nov 2021 4:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I always preferred well seasoned beech, but then I had some trees that were falling down....

Any hardwood that is well seasoned will serve you well, collect and dry fir cones for fire lighters.

You just can't beat the warm glow of a log burner, the Clearview we have in the UK house is now 24 years old and has had 1 door seal from new, all the rest is original and it was lit from October until April!.

HTH Keith
Post #931119 25th Nov 2021 4:23pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

We have 2 x Aga Stoves and love them especially this time of year, I dry out my own wood from the garden (trees we have had felled and chopped up)

However as much as wood is nice to watch and the 'sound' I use coal a lot. Homefire ovals. smokeless and quite big. I can put 6 to 8 of these in on in the afternoon and it lasts all night... stoke it in the morning and add some wood it starts again.

I also keep pine cones and throw them in

If I'm lazy a firebrick (around £1.50) does for an evening.

We also added a temperature gauge on the flue behind it and a fan, unsure if the fan does improve the hot air round the room but its cool when it just starts and wizzes round Smile

On a few occasions and I put it down to the atmosphere / moisture in air I light it and the smoke come back in, its 99% fine and has a great draw.. we have the flue pipe in both chimneys. Its just an odd thing is does now and again.

Love it though, nothing like the fire on a good film, Dog on lap and a drink Smile

Thumbs Up
Post #931123 25th Nov 2021 4:45pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
These are excellent firelighters. Only need one per light... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F8X7WAE/

I'm not too fussy when it comes to timber and pretty much burn anything provided it's dry(ish).
I swept the chimney last year and was surprised by how little muck came down.

If you have space in your opening then the little wood stove fans are good for circulating the heat.

When the fire is well established shut off any air vents in your burner or you will get through timber like nobody's business! > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #931127 25th Nov 2021 4:58pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
use a workshop gas burner to light it on kindling.

use dry logs

open it up every 24hrs to burn soot out

fan suggestion above is very valid. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #931130 25th Nov 2021 5:07pm
Silver Back

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
I seem to remember a similar thread on here about preparing a burning wood. It helpfully recommended this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/085705...&psc=1

Definitely worth buying in my opinion and provided lots of information about which woods to use and when.

When lighting mine they key thing is getting the kindling small enough with a couple of sheets of loosely crumpled newspaper underneath. Then build up the size of kindling before lighting with a match. In a new stove you may need to burn just a small fire for a while as it will be burning off some of the contamination from the manufacturing process. I had a few nasty fumes with mine and ended up opening a window for a while.

Start with the top and bottom vents open and as it gets going I tend to close the lower vents and moderate the fire with the upper vents only.

Fantastic this time of year. Enjoy. Thumbs Up
Post #931148 25th Nov 2021 6:51pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Stacey007 wrote:
On a few occasions and I put it down to the atmosphere / moisture in air I light it and the smoke come back in, its 99% fine and has a great draw.. we have the flue pipe in both chimneys. Its just an odd thing is does now and again.

Mine often does this when lighting the 1st burn of the season because the flue is fully cold. It's a temperature inversion that results in cold air falling down the flue because the fire has yet to generate enough heat to warm the flue air and make it rise. Thereafter it's normally OK.

Best advice for a newbie to wood stoves is to never open the stove door unless the flue damper is open - otherwise the smoke will enter the room instead of going up the flue. The close the damper afterwards to reduce the draw and keep more heat in the room.
Post #931150 25th Nov 2021 7:13pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
We have similar with a cold flue, smoke entering the room, we tend to build a fairly hefty fire with quick igniting kindling, get the chimney hot then throw on some sizable dry logs. Open up all the vents get it roaring, then close down the vents.

I know hotels use these to start fires, get their chimneys hot, then no backdrafting of smoke in to the room.

https://grenadier.co.uk/product/grenadier-electric-firelighter/ Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #931151 25th Nov 2021 7:29pm
Pat

Wales 
Re: Log burner hints & tips
SJM2018 wrote:
We're having a Hunter Herald Allure 4 log burner fitted on Monday.

I managed to do most of the enabling works (opening the chimney, adding in a steel lintel, rebricking the sides, pouring a new 'sub-hearth' and rendered the sides) which has saved me over £1k - very proud of myself!

Does anyone have any hints & tips for once it's fitted? Preferred logs - Oak, Ash, Birch? Kiln dried vs naturally seasoned? Proper lighting techniques?

Just completed the same job myself and also very satisfied with the result and financial saving. Log burner fitted tomorrow, so following this thread with intrest. It started with a kiss, never thought it would come to this.
SIII CSW Safari, limestone, (JAC 914N). Where is she now?

It's not a car, it's a way of life!
Post #931152 25th Nov 2021 7:41pm
Rupert605

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
We have a multi-fuel burner which we used to burn coal on as it is hotter and lasts longer than wood but it did make sweeping the chimney a messy process.
Now we use these which are easier, cleaner and create hardly any ash and no tar deposits.

https://www.penntree.co.uk/product/hotblocks/

Based in Bristol as well so local delivery for you.

Rupert Defender 50th GB165
Discovery 200 Tdi 1990 (gone)
Post #931164 25th Nov 2021 9:26pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Ref the back draft on a cold light , lay fire as normal and put some loosely crumpled paper above your laid fire, light that to warm the flue and help it draw Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #931165 25th Nov 2021 9:33pm
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Great advice - thanks all! We're really excited to have it fitted.

I'll keep an eye out for pine cones when I'm walking to the dogs tomorrow.

I've been googling the issue of smoke coming back into the room and a couple of people have suggest the "Scandinavian technique" of putting the kindling on top of the logs. Its meant to heat the flu quicker, so it starts to draw sooner.... I'll give it a go, but not convinced it will light the logs! Jst's approach makes more sense to me. 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #931166 25th Nov 2021 9:43pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Open the window, let some cold air in and it will draw 😁
Post #931194 25th Nov 2021 11:10pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
We have a couple of Morso wood burners, we mainly burn heat logs that burn clean and efficiently.

Lighting for the first time in cold weather does sometimes get smokey, but not pushing the door too when lighting helps heat the flue and keeps smoke to a minimum. They keep us nice and toastie and a great feature in the room.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #931208 26th Nov 2021 6:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>