↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2.4 TDCI power issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Rivarama

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
The actuator seems to be moving freely.

As for the VCV, I have no reason to think it’s ever been changed (45k miles on the car)… but it starts and idles perfectly well. I thought the VCV had nothing to do w lack of power (turbo related) and odd cut off due to under/overboost, am I missing something?
Post #930593 21st Nov 2021 3:34pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
My next thing to change is the VCV I don’t have bad idle but have maf codes come and go. Have cleaned maf and map and when I get the courage it’s the vcv to get changed. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #930608 21st Nov 2021 6:18pm
Yesjus

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Alex's call is a good one. If it thinks it's overheating (even if it's not) then it goes into limp mode to protect itself, which is exactly what you've described. Once it's cooled, or thinks it has, then normal service is resumed. Unfortunately, there are many and varied reasons why this might be happening, a lot of which won't flag obvious or indeed any fault codes. This includes, at one extreme, a head gasket failure as reported by somebody here only a couple of weeks ago, to at the other a duff cylinder head temp (CHT) sensor.

Other potential failures could be the water pump or the viscous fan coupling, or even a partially blocked radiator, either inside or out.

Were there any other symptoms when it happened such as the temp gauge rising or the temp gauge immediately going to maximum and then dropping off?

Restarting an old thread here but been searching for answers with my own power loss issues on my 110 2.4.
Having similar issues with power loss one of which was today on the M3! Not fun!
My temp gauge does shoot up and and drops off and if you turn ignition off and on it returns to normal…AA guy said the engine is normal temp even when it spikes (he test drove and it happened to him!) so he says maybe an electrical fault?

I’ve already changed VCV and had water pump tested and all good, do you think maybe CHT sensor?
Thanks
Post #968611 21st Oct 2022 11:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123