↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 coolant dropping in the expansion tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetsmith

TD5 coolant dropping in the expansion tank
TD5 90 coolant level has been drooping by haft an 1 inch in coolant expansion tank so time investigate just before lunch removed coolant filler gap and fitted mode gap with type valve fitted so that you can pump up coolant system to running presser 1.2 bar pox so looking all over pipe work- rad- heater box with no lacks ok next removed pipe work from top end EGR cooler. one 6mm bolt snapped Crying or Very sad job for tomorrow with end open on the EGR cooler you can see OAT i.e. antifreeze clamp off two coolant hose and and remover the EGR cooler to work shop bench and presser tested very slow drop in presser at lest I no its not head gasket Smile

Click image to enlarge

If you look insides top egr port with 1.2 bar presser applied to coolant side you can see white foam at ends tube Mad so now repayment cooler needed
Post #929985 16th Nov 2021 5:17pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Have you still got the EGR system connected up or have you blanked it? If you have got it blanked, I would be tempted to just bypass the cooler with the coolant pipes. I did start looking into it myself and was going to revert back to the 10p/eu2 coolant layout which didnt have the cooler but never actually got around to it.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #929988 16th Nov 2021 5:41pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Done precisely the above, EGR bypassed, cooler removed, hoses bypassed and all is good. Simpler and less to go wrong. Thumbs Up
Post #929994 16th Nov 2021 6:15pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Geobloke, did you just link the coolant pipes which originally ran to/from the cooler or did you reroute from the oil cooler to the radiator like the EU2 setup?

Cheers,
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #929998 16th Nov 2021 6:24pm
dorsetsmith

EGR system connected up as it left LR in 2006

repayment cooler on its way, next think is removing the broken 6mm stainless steel bolt from exhaust manifold with out having to remover it Whistle
Post #930000 16th Nov 2021 6:29pm
dorsetsmith

geobloke wrote:
Done precisely the above, EGR bypassed, cooler removed, hoses bypassed and all is good. Simpler and less to go wrong. Thumbs Up

did cross my mined but a lot of road side stop and DVSA inspect past one two days ago defender with EGR removed and tamper with and £1000 bill and DVSA spent good 1hr removing engine covers so give a miss thanks
Post #930007 16th Nov 2021 7:09pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Blimey. Rolling Eyes Do not blame you if the DVSA are that active near you. Nothing wrong with keeping the EGR kit installed, just keep it clean and working as it should. Smile
Post #930010 16th Nov 2021 7:36pm
dorsetsmith

Its going to sound a bit like dentist tomorrow just found micro air grinder in work shop and at 6mm broken bolt will be out Very Happy
Post #930018 16th Nov 2021 8:05pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
I removed the EGR cooler - my coolant leak was from the front of the fuel cooler. If that’s leaking you’ll see pink inside the driver side engine mount. Simple enough fix too.
Post #930042 16th Nov 2021 10:56pm
dorsetsmith

Todays job too remover that 6mm snap bolt ended up removing exhaust manifold and drilling it out and re-taping so now down tools again awaiting parts but at lest exhaust manifold is good order
Post #930104 17th Nov 2021 3:42pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
dorsetsmith wrote:
geobloke wrote:

did cross my mined but a lot of road side stop and DVSA inspect past one two days ago defender with EGR removed and tamper with and £1000 bill and DVSA spent good 1hr removing engine covers so give a miss thanks

DVSA are stopping private cars to check the emissions gear? And they spent "a good 1hr removing engine covers" What engine covers? The TD5 has one engine cover that can be removed in under two minutes.

lf the above is true, then anyone who has removed or bypassed the EGR system better fit it back on. Although ROW spec TD5's never had an EGR
Post #930473 20th Nov 2021 10:18am
dorsetsmith

now just wanting for post and manifold nuts
Post #930478 20th Nov 2021 10:48am
dorsetsmith

lightning wrote:
dorsetsmith wrote:
geobloke wrote:

DVSA are stopping private cars to check the emissions gear? And they spent "a good 1hr removing engine covers" What engine covers? The TD5 has one engine cover that can be removed in under two minutes.

lf the above is true, then anyone who has removed or bypassed the EGR system better fit it back on. Although ROW spec TD5's never had an EGR

Seemed to be 1hr if your stuck in traffic just before dvas check not that i had anything not fitted or bypass and dipping fuel tanks for red dev
Post #930479 20th Nov 2021 10:57am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Yes you do get them checking for
red diesel round here, and l guess Defenders are more likely to be stopped for that as traditionally they are owned by farmers.

Plus with diesel being over £1.50 per litre, people might be tempted to use red diesel if they have access to it.
Post #930487 20th Nov 2021 11:55am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
lightning wrote:
dorsetsmith wrote:
geobloke wrote:

So refit the egr valve having removed the flap, and keep the blanking plate on exhaust end. All looks standard but not crappy egr.
Post #930495 20th Nov 2021 1:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>