Home > Puma (Tdci) > Newbie:- essential upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
willy eckerslike wrote:
The ability to laugh at / ignore the various bangs, cruntches, whistles, whines, and occasional unexplained water drops on the head.

A bottle of suncream for your right arm in the summer.

A leg warmer for your right arm in winter.

Land Rover Spider (essential)

An inflatable arse for the longer journeys.

The ability to turn the heater control less than 1 mm to get the right temperature.

Night vision.

The gear change skills of a 1950's Lorry Driver.

A love of petrol / diesel stations.

A Large rope and a smug grin (especially useful in winter)

The ability to remember you left it in low box.

A neck brace (see above)

The ability to remember not to put the handbrake on until you have come to a complete halt

Plasters for forehead (see above)

Broken belt loops on the back of your jeans (if you don't have these you'll findout how to get them)

A complete disregard for speed bumps.

The parking ability of Russell Swift.

The ability to roll under the car and pretend to look at some thing when you open the door and fall out cause you forgot you just had a 2" lift

Rolling with laughter
Post #92838 5th Oct 2011 7:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
willy eckerslike wrote:

Quality!

Don't forget to rip out the utterly shyte stereo, and put something decent in...

Oh, and definitely a tape measure to check the local carpark entry heights! Rolling with laughter ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #92845 5th Oct 2011 8:19pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Shax wrote:
willy eckerslike wrote:

Quality!

Don't forget to rip out the utterly shyte stereo, and put something decent in...

Oh, and definitely a tape measure to check the local carpark entry heights! Rolling with laughter

...............and don't trust the carpark height signs Confused BM52
Post #92849 5th Oct 2011 8:37pm
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Well, if you are talking about add-ons that help to make sitting in the Defender a more comfortable place, then here are a few suggestions.

I've done approx. 20k miles in my 110 in the last year. Not a huge mileage by sales rep-mobile standards, but enough in a Defender to appreciate the 'creature comforts'. And before any of you 'knit-your-own -yoghurt-my-Defender's-held-together-with-spit-and gaffer-tape' types try to disparage this, nothing I've done has affected the off-road ability of the Defender one iota... Evil or Very Mad

Oh, and just did a 9 hour trip from Spa to the Cotswolds in the 110, towing a race car and trailer, and not only was it remarkably comfortable, but happy cruising at 80mph (allegedly, officer) thanks to the BAS remap.

My 'almost invisible but make a huge difference to comfort' suggestions are (in order):

- Bilstein dampers all round

- Mud Rails

- Noisekiller kit (including the underbonnet blanket if you can stretch to the cost)

- Decent stereo

- Powered subwoofer (mounted mine underneath the rear seats)

- Nakatanenga under-cubby safe box (raises the cubby box up to allow it to be a great armrest when using mudrails, too)

- Decent spotlights (mounted to soft a-bar on mine and come on on full beam). Probably less important if you don't live in the back of beyond, like me.

- curry hook!

- Nakatanenga door straps (replace the plastic handles, and stop them from digging into your thigh!).

- Lumbar support!! I took an old Sparco race seat pneumatic one I had, and by carefully open the seat back and sliding it between seat heater pad and foam, got it to fit beautifully. Seat closed up and it's invisible, apart from rubber bulb to inflate. Makes a HUGE difference. You can get them from Exmoor for £30-ish, I think.

- 2-stroke in the diesel. Makes my 110 run a lot quieter, and smoother. Was dubious at first, but after 16k miles on it, no ill-effects, quite the opposite...!

I'll get me coat... Whistle 
2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #92850 5th Oct 2011 8:47pm
bm52

szracer wrote:
Well, if you are talking about add-ons that help to make sitting in the Defender a more comfortable place, then here are a few suggestions.

I've done approx. 20k miles in my 110 in the last year. Not a huge mileage by sales rep-mobile standards, but enough in a Defender to appreciate the 'creature comforts'. And before any of you 'knit-your-own -yoghurt-my-Defender's-held-together-with-spit-and gaffer-tape' types try to disparage this, nothing I've done has affected the off-road ability of the Defender one iota... Evil or Very Mad

Oh, and just did a 9 hour trip from Spa to the Cotswolds in the 110, towing a race car and trailer, and not only was it remarkably comfortable, but happy cruising at 80mph (allegedly, officer) thanks to the BAS remap.

My 'almost invisible but make a huge difference to comfort' suggestions are (in order):

- Mud Rails

- Noisekiller kit (including the underbonnet blanket if you can stretch to the cost)

- Decent stereo

- Nakatanenga under-cubby safe box (raises the cubby box up to allow it to be a great armrest when using mudrails, too)

- Decent spotlights (mounted to soft a-bar on mine and come on on full beam). Probably less important if you don't live in the back of beyond, like me.

- curry hook!

- Nakatanenga door straps (replace the plastic handles, and stop them from digging into your thigh!).

- Lumbar support!! I took an old Sparco race seat pneumatic one I had, and by carefully open the seat back and sliding it between seat heater pad and foam, got it to fit beautifully. Seat closed up and it's invisible, apart from rubber bulb to inflate. Makes a HUGE difference. You can get them from Exmoor for £30-ish, I think.

- 2-stroke in the diesel. Makes my 110 run a lot quieter, and smoother. Was dubious at first, but after 16k miles on it, no ill-effects, quite the opposite...!

i made similar changes and what a difference. i did'nt add the Nak stuff, lumber support or the noisekiller and Koni instead of Bilstien....i also add 2 stroke and it really does work IMHO BM52
Post #92875 5th Oct 2011 10:35pm
johnnyboy

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Two stroke oil in the fuel that sounds interesting anyone had any issues with it?.
Post #92939 6th Oct 2011 1:04pm
MaxD90

2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
szracer wrote:

- Mud Rails

- Decent stereo

- curry hook!

I agree with the lumbar sopport. Big difference!

James I dont understand "2 stroke in the diesel". Can you give me more details?
Thanks! One life, live it.
Post #93067 7th Oct 2011 1:37am
bm52

Post #93078 7th Oct 2011 8:13am
CityDriver

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
For every newbie’s benefit, I have tried to summarise my take away from this topic and earlier research.

Firstly there are the “must have” items that I will do ASAP after taking delivery of the vehicle:
1) Getting cavities & underside treated: I am thinking of using Dinitrol and getting it done at a “respected” place. I don’t care much about a £100 more or less and don’t have the time and space to do this in January… Will make sure they do all capping’s, bulkhead, doors, rear tub spreaders – does anyone have the full list?
2) Doing the extra rust prevention with ACF-50: Front grill (take off and paint brackets/screws), seat bases/frames, wing mirrors, window latches, headlight rims, and any other internal screws/nuts and hinges. Again – Does anyone have the long list for this one?
3) Fixing the rear mudflap: After all the horror stories I will order the Entreq re-enforcements (http://www.entreq.de/products/reinforcemen...ngers.html). Actually, I will order the now and deliver them at the dealer, so he can fit them before delivery (he, I’m a lazy :censored: )
4) Getting an early life oil change for engine, diffs, gearbox & transfer box: By the sounds of it this seems a sensible way of preventing trouble later on
5) Buying mats: I had already specified rubber mats all-round on my new 110, so this is dealt with

Secondly there are some items I am strongly considering doing either ASAP as well or perhaps after some months of driving:
6) Having a tracker fitted: I need to look better at the on-going costs, but it seems a reasonably small investment for a good night’s sleep? Anyone with tips on this topic?
7) Adding “body protection: I already have the soft A-frame bar, hinged lamp guards and rear step bumper specified on my new vehicle. I will consider adding rock and tree sliders
8) Fitting a noise killer kit: This depends on how I experience the 110 in my first months. I don’t think noise will be an issue for me, but it is an option I will definitely consider if it does become irritating
9) Getting tuition: Fair comment by one person in this topic, but I will consider investing in some decent tuition to learn more about the vehicle
10) Upgrading stereo: Again, I will first do with what I have and see how we move on from there
11) Remapping: I just like a bit of extra power, blame me
12) Installing decent spotlights: I would like them mounted to the soft A-frame bar

Thirdly there are the items I need to check on delivery of the new vehicle.
Please help me complete this list, it would be super helpful to actually just send it to the dealer beforehand, so he can make sure this is all in good order before I pick it up (always easier than arguing later on).
1) Check if the red engine hoist bracket is taken off
2) Check if capping's are sealed to stop water ingress
3) Check if doors are properly hung
4) Check if handbrake is properly tightened
5) Check tyre pressure
6) Check bonnet striker
7) Check key fobs & emergency access code

Lastly:
Zagato wrote:

[…]
get the windows sealed by your local window fitter, it's no good having water sitting under your rubbers let alone leaks :roll:
[…]

Zagato, can you specify this a bit better? Do you mean getting all windows resealed just because the standard sealing is so poor?

Last edited by CityDriver on 7th Oct 2011 2:46pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #93083 7th Oct 2011 9:17am
pom

Remember a lot of the expensive items on your list are only really relevant if your keeping the vehicle more than 5 years. Save your money and swop it in after 3 or 4.

Pom
Post #93087 7th Oct 2011 9:29am
CityDriver

I am planning on keeping it for life. I have high hopes.
Post #93093 7th Oct 2011 9:42am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
IMHO hinged lamp guards make cleaning a pain, can chafe the spare wheel and cover, can result in corrosion and more panel damage if clouted than if they were not fitted. Side lights are pretty cheap anyway but I'd go for the plastic guards that fit via the lamp screws themselves than have the body drilled to take lumps of iron.

Anyway, as regards the 'full list' of this and that - it's all on this forum and others already so sorry but I'm not personally going to spend time regurgitating what's been posted time and time again [for example just go back and browse the 10001 questions that Zagato asked after he first joined]. However I will add that you should get some protection on the rear and sidesteps, towbar, mudflap brackets, aircon fan brackets, headlamp bezels - in fact consider anything metal externally that's not been painted in body colour is ripe for rust or oxidisation. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #93122 7th Oct 2011 12:58pm
bm52

[quote=" - in fact consider anything metal externally that's not been painted in body colour is ripe for rust or oxidisation.[/quote]

now that is depressing......... Crying or Very sad BM52
Post #93123 7th Oct 2011 1:04pm
CityDriver

Miserableolgit wrote:

Anyway, as regards the 'full list' of this and that - it's all on this forum and others already so sorry but I'm not personally going to spend time regurgitating what's been posted time and time again [for example just go back and browse the 10001 questions that Zagato asked after he first joined]. However I will add that you should get some protection on the rear and sidesteps, towbar, mudflap brackets, aircon fan brackets, headlamp bezels - in fact consider anything metal externally that's not been painted in body colour is ripe for rust or oxidisation.

Fully understand the point, and I tried summarizing things a bit to centralize some of the comments made. My key question is actually the items to check on delivery, I have not found a lot on that, except some bits and bobs in different topics.
Post #93131 7th Oct 2011 2:00pm
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
ffs don't put anything chrome on your land rover unless you are a pikey and your wife does palm readings Wink
Post #93134 7th Oct 2011 2:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>