↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Refundable deposit + additional 2k deposit?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
I only had to put a £500 deposit down but I have bought quite a few Land Rovers from them Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #928715 5th Nov 2021 11:49pm
TRGRichie

United Kingdom 
I very tiny £200 down for me. L663 90ht
Post #928737 6th Nov 2021 10:50am
XplusYplusZ

Interesting, so it seems I may have been suckered a little @ £2k. Although it seems crazy to me that manufacturers will commit to building a car for anything less.

I'm also interested in this no sale within 6 months thing.. nothing mentioned about that yet.

With supply and demand as it is, the delaers do seem to be able to get away with whatever they want right now.
Post #928768 6th Nov 2021 1:28pm
nowrxo

I would wonder just how enforceable the "no sale within six months" is. What happens if someone buys a Defender and two months later loses their job, and they have no alternative but to get rid?

Does the clause allow you to sell the car back to the supplying dealer within six months, or is it a blanket ban?

My deposit (paid in late August) was also £1K. This would be my first Land Rover - I hadn't dealt with the dealer or any of their other franchises before. The salesman did volunteer that it would be refundable if I have to wait an indeterminate length of time. (My current thinking is if 9 months have elapsed and there's still no sign of it, then I will be cancelling.)
Post #928814 6th Nov 2021 7:17pm
XplusYplusZ

Juwivive - I think the clause would be hard to enforce. However, early payment penalties could be a more effective tool.

In terms of cancelling after 9 months wait.. I have heard that we're probably at the worst point right now, and we could see some easing of timelines. The problem with cancelling after 9 months is that you've got to get to the back of the queue somewhere else..

They have us over a barrel at the moment..
Post #928879 7th Nov 2021 11:49am
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
juwivive wrote:
I would wonder just how enforceable the "no sale within six months" is.

Ultimately it’s not, it appears to be a box ticking exercise the dealers need to go through to confirm theyre not knowingly selling the car for immediate resale. This text below is from a high end dealer who has had experience of these clauses:

This clause is a box ticker for the actual manufacturer, the dealer don’t really care what you do. If your car appears in the shop window soon after you drive it away from the dealer and JLR see it they will call the seller to gain the reg / chassis and then trace it back to the dealer, the original supplying dealer will then email JLR confirmation of your signature on the clause on that’s the dealers job done.
Firstly, upon point of deposit we’re you made aware of this clause, as at the point of monies exchanging hands this is when a contract is formed, therefore they cannot reintroduce additional clauses, or they can be not enforceable in a court of law. Secondly, as circumstances can change you will probably this ridiculous clause probably conflicts with human rights. This wouldn’t even get to court, what would you be pursued for? The dealer sells you the car with full margin, JLR made full margin to the dealer, you sell on for a profit so what, this is an example of the dealer wanting the porridge, the bowl and the spoon. It’s supply and demand, where the demand is greater then the market dictates a premium.
I’ve been in the trade since 1989, always bought in and out of adverse times and haven’t ever taken any notice of 11th hour clauses, in the past 6 weeks I have purchased and sold over 12 new model Defenders including a 10 mile V8, one of the sellers was a lawyer and we joked about the supplying dealer who told him he couldn’t sell it for commercial gain. I appreciate a little long winded but in simple terms the clause is worthless. 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #928902 7th Nov 2021 2:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12