↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Land Rover Remote App & remote starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Land Rover Remote App & remote starting
I have the app on my phone and it is connected to the car, ie I can see journeys, whether it's locked etc but I can not get the remote start function to work. I can lock the car remotely and make it flash the lights etc but when ever I try to remote start, I press the icon and it says working but the car never starts and the app just says item timed out. One other strange thing is that if I attempt to remote start it and it fails, if I then try to start the car up normally it wont!

I get in put my foot on the brake and press the starter, all the dash lights etc come on but it wont start. If I press the starter again it just shuts down the system. To be able to start it I have to lock the car up for approx 5 minutes and then it starts as normal. Confused

If I attempt to remote start it when I'm standing outside the vehicle I can hear a couple of noises, which sound like a replay activating a couple of times but nothing further happens Crying or Very sad

Has anybody else had a similar problem or am I missing something stupid in the process Laughing

Just to add I am setting the car to 22° to make sure it needs to start to reach this temp. Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #925534 13th Oct 2021 4:46pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
I really don’t get these remote apps. Our Volvo XC60 has one, never used it never will, I’m a bit of an old traditionalist, open door, get in turn ignition on, start engine and drive.
A solution without a need in my mind. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #925537 13th Oct 2021 5:10pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
And potentially problematical since it is still illegal to leave a vehicle unattended with the engine running in a place to which the RTA apply.

Another solution looking for a problem, in my opinion.

None of which helps the OP, I am afraid! Sorry.
Post #925539 13th Oct 2021 5:28pm
J77

Scotland 
Never had that before.

Have you done a software update? 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #925540 13th Oct 2021 5:28pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Works fine on the wife’s Velar.

Very useful in the winter to both warm the car up and clear the ice.

The timer is 30 mins max but generally ten minutes is enough.

Worth remembering to put the wipers into the winter position the night before so that they benefit from the heated screen.

Nicer to stand in the kitchen with a mug of tea in hand watching the car do the hard work than outside with the ice scraper….. Thumbs Up

And my 90 lives in the garage so no problems there… Very Happy
Post #925543 13th Oct 2021 5:40pm
J77

Scotland 
As above, it’s defrosted for when I’m ready to leave for work, and again when I finish work. Also nice and cool when there’s a heatwave. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #925545 13th Oct 2021 5:45pm
Tom_T

United Kingdom 
If you have an aftermarket immobiliser fitted such as a ghost then this will stop the car from starting via the app.
Post #925553 13th Oct 2021 7:19pm
Hairy Dan

J77 wrote:
Never had that before.

Have you done a software update?

No it hasn't done a software update since I got it around 2 weeks ago although I just realised the other day that the cars sim wasn't switched on in Pivi pro as I was trying to get the satellite view on the centre dash. Once I flipped the switch it connected to 02 and the sat view was available. When it is parked it is showing a 4g connection and it's logged onto the house wifi. If I go into the updates page it says no updates available. Thumbs Up

markb110 wrote:
Works fine on the wife’s Velar.

Very useful in the winter to both warm the car up and clear the ice.

The timer is 30 mins max but generally ten minutes is enough.

Worth remembering to put the wipers into the winter position the night before so that they benefit from the heated screen.

Nicer to stand in the kitchen with a mug of tea in hand watching the car do the hard work than outside with the ice scraper….. Thumbs Up

And my 90 lives in the garage so no problems there… Very Happy

Yes it is nice to get into a pre warmed car on the cold mornings, on the Discos and FFRR I had they had the remote heat and it was brilliant, I nearly specified it on my build but thought what's the point when they can be remote started from the app Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up

Tom_T wrote:
If you have an aftermarket immobiliser fitted such as a ghost then this will stop the car from starting via the app.

No nothing aftermarket fitted Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #925561 13th Oct 2021 7:50pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
On a side note regarding the Remote App.

I cant remember if it was the earlier days of the wife having the Velar or her last Discovery Sport but one evening i went onto the App and it was not her details or vehicle.

It turned out to be somebodies Discovery 5........ Shocked

So being completely childish (and why not) i played around with the seat settings and the horn...... Whistle

Next day the App setting was back to normal.
Post #925564 13th Oct 2021 8:35pm
Hairy Dan

I have noticed that when I stand next to it and try and remote start it the dashboard lights up as though the ignition was on it waits a couple of seconds and then shuts down again. I did notice over on facebook that a few people are having the same problem Crying or Very sad Cheers Ian
--------------------
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #927113 25th Oct 2021 9:34pm
lrsg

United Kingdom 
Did you figure out the solution to this? Whenever I try to start the remote climate it fails.
Post #932702 7th Dec 2021 10:05am
Hairy Dan

No I haven't, it's going to have to go into the dealers and let them try and fix it. I did find in the workshop manual that if you were having problems with remote start a reset of the body control module would fix it. Last week I called into my indi garage for something and I was telling him about it and he said he has the genuine Land Rover software, I think it's called Pathfinder, so he reset the BCM but the fault still remains so it will have to go into the dealers when I have time Sad Cheers Ian
--------------------
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #932715 7th Dec 2021 12:46pm
J77

Scotland 
My 90 has had more updates than I care to name, the app is now useless, it starts the car but doesn’t put the climate control on Rolling Eyes

Also I’m now getting false theft alerts from Incontrol. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #932757 7th Dec 2021 7:08pm
Tim in Scotland

There was a dealer applied fix for the false theft reporting - mine suffered that issue in August 2020 along with quite a few other owners at the time. Seems odd that a similar fault returned after more than a year. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #932759 7th Dec 2021 7:13pm
J77

Scotland 
My 90 hasn’t been connecting to its embedded sim since the day I got it, that was resolved a few weeks ago, hence I got the latest software update before most thanks to JLR giving the dealer the green light to install it. I’m now playing catch-up it seems. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #932761 7th Dec 2021 7:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>