↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > If you want to go into the Australian Outback...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Philip

United Kingdom 
Why would anyone in the market for a cheap working pickup pay double the money for a Grenadier that does nothing better and likely drives worse? A Grenadier will be the very definition of a lifestyle purchase for most buyers. (Do like the idea that going to the tip means yours is working for its living in the true spirit of heroism and rugged adventure, though).
Post #924038 2nd Oct 2021 11:52am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
'Grenadier wrote: 'You’re absolutely right. I think I’ve reached the dizzying number of ‘thirty or so New Defenders seen’. But despite living in the rugged Alps, and with a continued strong industry of farming, cheese making, mountain rescue etc, I’ve not seen one that looks ready, or is being driven by anyone likely, to go on any kind of adventure let alone properly off road like this fellow in Oz. He is part of a very small clan. The exception not the rule.'

In deepest rural Devon the only new Defenders I've seen have been driven mostly by trendy folk, several wearing baseball caps back to front & usually wearing chavved up totally useless wheel sets (that's the vehicle not the driver)...sad really. Oh & never even an attempt at a wave on seeing my Wolf!!!! Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #924096 2nd Oct 2021 6:46pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I know a few farmers with them now and have been surprised how many are working

But they need to also sell to the lifestyle group, that’s not wrong Mike
Post #924116 2nd Oct 2021 9:28pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Plenty around here in sunny Suffolk, mostly driven by women taking Tarquins and Mulberry to Montessori, and little blokes, although we’re are not too far from Newmarket which may explain. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #924120 2nd Oct 2021 10:29pm
zilch

Australia 
Grenadier wrote:
I’ve not seen one that looks ready, or is being driven by anyone likely, to go on any kind of adventure let alone properly off road like this fellow in Oz. He is part of a very small clan. The exception not the rule.

Whilst not to many Defenders have made it down under yet, from what i can gleam from the local
forums/owner clubs, owners i talk to on a regular basis, those that have arrived in the main are being
used in the typical aussie fashion, getting off road for camping, exploring at the weekends, going bush
as its known here, lock downs permitted of course, as well as some now on longer laps/tours
of OZ. Justin's use of his vehicle "the fellow in OZ" is far from a rarity down under.. but then again
that is the local lifestyle.. so yes a lifestyle vehicle, but being used as intended in the main.. It may be
worth also checking out the US forums, I would not be surprised if there are quite a few owners
modifying and getting their 663's on the trails/deserts etc yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #924132 3rd Oct 2021 2:55am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Couldn’t agree more Zilch. I know the Aussies have a very strong culture of using Discos, RRS even FFRRs for going bush, and long may it continue. But it will be interesting to see what percentage of total sales in Oz do this. Sales internally (I.e. What percentage of new Defs get out of Sydney) and percentage sales to keen outbackers versus Land Cruisers and Nissan. Will there be any dent in those sales?

And whilst we can say the same of the US as well, I think it’s clear that their numbers are tiny when compared with what most off-roaders in the US use. And again, how many of the US sales will be to urbanites versus off road or utility vehicle enthusiasts?

GQ, that famous car/off road magazine, wrote an article on it and its new roof top tent, and called it a luxury tank, a combination of ruggedness and Range Rover luxury. Which sort of says it all really. No mention of ‘utilitarian’, which is what the last incarnation was all about, whether or not you demand comfort and luxury as well, just how luxurious it feels. GQ likely wouldn’t have even written about it had it been a truly utilitarian replacement to the old Defender, which is the point I’m making. Why did LR need another luxury SUV? I know the answer, money, but still a great shame. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #924150 3rd Oct 2021 7:30am
Grenadier

Philip wrote:
Why would anyone in the market for a cheap working pickup pay double the money for a Grenadier that does nothing better and likely drives worse? A Grenadier will be the very definition of a lifestyle purchase for most buyers. (Do like the idea that going to the tip means yours is working for its living in the true spirit of heroism and rugged adventure, though).

Oh Philip, you’re such a bore.

Can’t see anywhere in my post where I talked of the Grenadier. Indeed I didn’t complain or compare the new Def with anything at all. The post was clearly about LR and their ‘direction’ with the new Def. Not how good it is or isn’t, nor what should be bought instead.

And as for my ruggedly heroic tip run, it’s rather mundane role that day will likely be rarely replicated with the new Def, if you’d seen what was being carried. Sadly.

But do keep banging your drum that a luxury, highly electronic Discovery-like SUV is the future, on a forum where 95% of the members enjoy their Defenders for amongst other things, their simplicity; the antithesis of the new model. Oh, and your tireless assertions that anyone who wants to keep their Def or, indeed, buy a Grenadier, must be a 21c cro magnon man. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Last edited by Grenadier on 3rd Oct 2021 7:41am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #924151 3rd Oct 2021 7:37am
zilch

Australia 
I thought GQ was more aimed at the male grooming product fraternity Whistle yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport

Last edited by zilch on 3rd Oct 2021 7:59am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #924152 3rd Oct 2021 7:38am
Grenadier

^^^ It does. And the reader is the core of LRs new target market. Reading the piece you can clearly see the author had a very nice day as a ‘guest’ of the LR marketing department. However, how many people will actually order the clamshell roof top tent is anyone’s guess. But maybe they will, as according to Oliver it’s thanks to this development that camping is finally cool. Never was before, who’d have thunk it. Whistle

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/lifestyle/ar...mping-cool Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #924154 3rd Oct 2021 7:44am
zilch

Australia 
should have added

Quote:
I.e. What percentage of new Defs get out of Sydney)

Not many, Sydney has been in lock down for at least 3 months Laughing but once the lock down is
over i would hazard a guess based on my chats with fellow owners that quite a few will be looking
to get out to the Blue mountains and Stockton beach for some fun. Only last month a dozen owners
in Brisbane turned up for some impromptu off road fun in the Glasshouse mountains..

The show ponies are still the RRS, Merc G and X5, in OZ, the Defender is very much in the Patrol and
Land cruiser bucket from a buyer and price perspective.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #924157 3rd Oct 2021 7:59am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
JLR's only mantra would now appear to be 'image is everything'. Sad really... Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #924174 3rd Oct 2021 9:17am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Grenadier wrote:

Oh, and your tireless assertions that anyone who wants to keep their Def or, indeed, buy a Grenadier, must be a 21c cro magnon man.

So why do I still keep my old 6 cylinder 109”, and all the other old cars?

You are right that I would never buy a Grenadier because it’s wilfully designed to be worse than in it should be (just like the current G Class), in order to satisfy some bizarre idea that functionality has to involve masochism or outmoded engineering.

As has been mentioned, there are plenty of new Defenders doing Defender stuff, however troubling that might be for you.
Post #924203 3rd Oct 2021 11:56am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
And so back on topic ~ update on broken belt:

Click image to enlarge
Post #924609 5th Oct 2021 5:28pm
zilch

Australia 
Quote:
And so back on topic ~ update on broken belt:

interesting that he tested it by crossing the Daintree River to the beginning of the
CREB track, no doubt to ensure all is well before venturing much further out yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #924672 6th Oct 2021 12:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123