↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > If you want to go into the Australian Outback...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
J77 wrote:
Interesting nobody knew how to recover the car, the 42 page recovery guide is available on topix. I thought an LR dealer would know to look there.

Not sure if this will work

https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/s...;view=FitH

Works perfectly and an interesting read... Thumbs Up

You don't have to get far into the Guide to find the answers, even if the answers are somewhat surprising - who takes axle stands on an off-road trip?.

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Often there is a wire pull release under the trim of the centre tunnel/ console or in the side trim panels in the boot, near to the fuel filler cover release.

If only it was that simple...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #922573 24th Sep 2021 9:43am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'm really quite happy that my emergency park brake release procedure simply involves pressing a button on the end of a lever and lowering the lever, a method that has worked satisfactorily for many years. Rolling with laughter

What exactly is the advantage of an electric parking brake, I forget?
Post #922580 24th Sep 2021 10:18am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Buyers expect auto-release, auto-engagement, hill-hold etc, removing the physical lever and connections frees up a lot of space internally for other stuff, it saves weight, it can’t be partially engaged, it’s self-adjusting. There aren’t many new cars left with a manual one.
Post #922597 24th Sep 2021 12:02pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Just as I thought, a solution looking for a problem then.
Post #922602 24th Sep 2021 12:58pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Bit like the electric starter motor?
Post #922603 24th Sep 2021 12:58pm
Supacat

Philip wrote:
removing the physical lever and connections frees up a lot of space internally for other stuff

What, like the axle stands now required to be carried?
Post #922604 24th Sep 2021 1:00pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
So if a cable-operated handbrake jammed, would the advice be to climb underneath and release it whilst the vehicle was on a jack? Or on axle stands? Or is this just another entirely pointless argument?
Post #922608 24th Sep 2021 1:14pm
Supacat

The point is that the EPB was not jammed but operating "normally".

Quite happy to crawl under mine to look at the handbrake without having to remove any wheels... it was designed that way Thumbs Up

I'm wondering why JLR moved away from earlier cable release systems that just required removing a panel from the driver's seat, to a system requiring rear wheel removal (both sides), axles stands, and spanners; and then not to mention new O ring and bolts (sorry Sir they've been on backorder since...)... and a diagnostic tool to recalibrate.
Post #922610 24th Sep 2021 1:25pm
Supacat

Philip wrote:
Bit like the electric starter motor?

I've seen the future...

Post #922613 24th Sep 2021 1:39pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
If it was operating normally then sticking a jump pack on would power up the solenoid - if your starter motor won't turn because the battery's flat, that's not the starter motor's fault. There must be millions of vehicles with motor-on-caliper EPBs, it's not novel or new technology to deal with - even Land Cruisers have EPBs now.
Post #922614 24th Sep 2021 1:48pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I was talking to a truck driver and he told me that the company had bought two Volvo tractor units. Second day out and one of them stopped and took up residence on the road. It had to be flat bedded away which was a major operation. The problem turned out be have been caused by the alternator which threw out a slightly higher current than it should. The main ECU could not cope with this and in his parlance "it fried". So something very simple led to something not so simple.
He said trucks that were good in the past like MAN and Scania just are not the same any more. Funnily enough him and the company had good opinions of Renault trucks which are serving well. He said they are not as expensive as other trucks, not as fancy but just do the business.
So it seems a small issue now can lead to a major shut down. So JLR are not unigue in this. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #922628 24th Sep 2021 2:53pm
Supacat

Philip wrote:
If it was operating normally then sticking a jump pack on would power up the solenoid

So is that instead of the axle stands, spanners, new O ring and bolts and a diagnostic tool to recalibrate; or as well?

Philip wrote:
There must be millions of vehicles with motor-on-caliper EPBs, it's not novel or new technology to deal with.

But is it appropriate for a vehicle that is supposed to be able to do the Skeleton Coast solo; or just copied from a Renault Twizy because most will only see the far side of the Waitrose car park at a push?
Post #922664 24th Sep 2021 5:44pm
zilch

Australia 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I suspect that Supacat means if there's any mention of the consequences of the coolant loss. Presumably, it overheated because the belt snapped and the water pump was therefore no longer being driven, so what of the engine afterwards?

According to Justin he has been told by the dealer the vehicle is good to go, so no engine damage
due to the loss of belt and coolant. Due to the rarity of his spec of wagon and no doubt the
12 month lead times if he orders one, he will bite the bullet once again and get it back out there
very shortly.. fourth or is it fifth time lucky Neutral yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #922712 25th Sep 2021 8:23am
spudfan

Ireland 
I admire the owner. Buying a vehicle that was designed to do a job and going right in at the deep end and using it for that purpose. Hope things go well for him now. Thumbs Up 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #922730 25th Sep 2021 10:12am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
markb110 wrote:
And Land Rovers response…….let’s make a Land Rover Range Defender and stick on a huuuuuge price tag so the peasants can’t afford it, it will never go off-road and we the management team won’t get blamed for producing a white elephant…..

You’re absolutely right. I think I’ve reached the dizzying number of ‘thirty or so New Defenders seen’. But despite living in the rugged Alps, and with a continued strong industry of farming, cheese making, mountain rescue etc, I’ve not seen one that looks ready, or is being driven by anyone likely, to go on any kind of adventure let alone properly off road like this fellow in Oz. He is part of a very small clan. The exception not the rule.

ALL those I have seen have been bought, prepped and are being used as SUVs. Black, lowered and pimped. Standard spec, carrying families. Alternatives to RRS, D5 or, god forbid, Q7s. This in an area littered with old Defenders, Toyotas, Nissans etc ‘working’ on a daily basis. Lots of off road trails here leading to the alpine farms where they make their wonderful cheese. Not one will get anywhere close. Lots of carpenters carrying loads of wood to build chalets, that will never be seen on the new one. Lots of forestry vehicles, bashing their way through tight trails, loaded to the gunnels with chainsaws and chains, winches etc, scratching and denting their body work. Will a new one ever do that in anger? etc etc.

But the ones that come to the region at all, all with either 75 plate (Paris), 69 plate (Lyon) or Geneva and Milan plates, come off the motorway, turn right and head to the Uber resort of Megeve, to park up at the 5* hotels alongside Porsche Cayennes.

I was in a queue of traffic a couple of weeks back. White 130 with some monster beams for a chalet. 90 with roof top tent, a new gloss black 110 with 20” diamond cut alloys and road tyres, me with a tub full of building and garden waste for the tip. Absolutely no continuation of the Defender heritage/legacy/role/user profile between the three old Defenders and the new one. Sad. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #924000 2nd Oct 2021 7:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>