↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > VW may build 4x4...for £30,000
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
ChasingOurTrunks

I think that's part of my challenge Supacat - I'm working off academic numbers that I'm pulling from the web, not lived experience of actual use. But I can say that many of my friends in southern Ontario (Toronto area) have a commute that is 100+ kilometres each way, so just getting to and from work is 200 kms. Add on a hockey practice the next town over, a run out for groceries, etc and I can easily see the miles adding up. But that being said, my 70 KW/h battery example may be too extreme for sure. As I typed the above, I realize that still only represents 50% of the range of the Tesla which I think is about 500-600 kms.

However, even cutting my numbers in half (from 70 to 35), so that if a person is draining a Tesla 50% every day, that's still a need to produce 35 KW/hr per day which is still a number of panels beyond what my roof can fit. Again, it's a bit academic because the reality for most users is not black or white as they have solar supplemented with grid power.

But the original thing I was responding too -- the ease of dropping solar-powered charging stations in remote areas -- stands true. The math shows that BEVs need a significant number of panels to produce the KW/hrs to support use; it's not just a handful, but at least tens of panels to even charge a single car 50%. And in my math, I posited a single user's private charging system. That math increases a great deal if we're talking about a remote (i.e. not grid-supported) charging station relying totally on solar, being used by possibly more than one vehicle per day. This is why I think, given Ineos is aiming at remote area use a la Mining Companies, NGOs, and adventure travellers, that Ineos going electric in this day and age would be a mistake. Electric just isn't practical off-grid right now, unless it's being supplemented by traditional fossil fuels which kind of defeats the point. Hydrogen makes more sense as a hydrogen filling station can be done almost as easily as diesel.
Post #923943 1st Oct 2021 6:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123