↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > From £48k inc VAT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Commercial is what you can claim the VAT back on. Don't think any Wranglers can be classed as commercials for tax purposes.

Personally I'd prefer a Grenadier over a pickup for the same reason I have a 2.2 Defender Hard Top over a truck cab - I prefer a van to a pickup. But it's a moot point as I've got a new Defender HT 90 on order so not in the market for either.

The launch 2 door Grenadier is going to be LWB (essentially like a 110 hard top) along with a 5 door (like a 110 USW) so considerably bigger than the 2dr Jeep. SWB will follow.

Also, again, some people need that 3500kg towing capacity that the Wrangler doesn't offer. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #923410 29th Sep 2021 2:23pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
What puddle? wrote:
Darren, I've just come from a forum where the only comment was "In terms of pricing they seem to have aimed it squarely at the Jeep Wrangler". I don't know what to say to you - as far as I'm concerned, Ineos are going after the original Defender sector...which includes the Wrangler. Although I would agree that the 4-door Grenadier is aimed at a particular market, I don't feel there is any way that you can say that the 2 door at £48,000 and the Wrangler are "completely different vehicles"!

But each to his own.

Ineos aren't offering a 2 door version. It's a 5 door bodyshell with 2 seats, much like the New Defender hardtop and the old Discovery commercial. It has a 1 tonne payload and can tow 3.5 tonnes. I can't see why you'd think it's comparable with a 2 door Wrangler that the base model can only tow 1 tonne and has a payload of around half of that but as you say, each to their own.

As for going after the original Defender sector, I think that's true where the 110 and 130 are concerned. However, it was always the 90 that was compared to the Wrangler as they're roughly similar in size, which is perhaps where the confusion lies? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 29th Sep 2021 9:24pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #923422 29th Sep 2021 3:51pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
What puddle? wrote:
... So what are we saying here, that the Grenadier is in a sector all of its own? That it has no rivals? ...

I think that this is possibly what we are saying and that it is the case.

The old Defender moved from the utility sector to the SUV sector as it evolved in its later years, and the new Defender has completed the move. I cannot really think of any other vehicle apart from the Grenadier which is aimed at the original non-pickup, multi-role, light utility sector (a sector which has shrunk considerably since the early days anyway).
Post #923428 29th Sep 2021 4:37pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
In the words of Ineos themselves:

"Billed as a ‘no-nonsense 4×4’, Ineos says the Grenadier fills a void in the market left by other car manufacturers."

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/in...4x4/235346

And even clearer still:

"Mark Tennant of Ineos Automotive said: “We are filling a position in the market that was abdicated by JLR. They talk about a ‘journey from the jungle to the urban jungle’ with their cars. We are not that; we are the counterpoint with rugged simplicity.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/...-defender/

Last edited by Supacat on 30th Sep 2021 2:59pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #923447 29th Sep 2021 5:38pm
ChasingOurTrunks

I think everyone is correct.

The grenadier absolutely will compete (or try to compete) with commercial offerings.

It will also absolutely compete with lifestyle 4x4s.

It does the same kinds of things as both categories, but is unique because no other vehicle straddles the categories as well. A possible exception would be things like the F250 with the Tremor package (An HD truck specifically for off road touring) and the Ram Powerwagon, but those come with significant drawbacks for the lifestyle user that the Gren doesn't have.

This is how I see it:

[/img]
Post #923452 29th Sep 2021 5:47pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Yes, that's how I see it! But I don't think others do. I was in the market for either a Defender, Grenadier, Wrangler, or Bronco (and I don't think I'm alone). The only one I'm left looking at is the Wrangler. Now left.
Post #923466 29th Sep 2021 6:32pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
What puddle? wrote:
Darren, I've just come from a forum where the only comment was "In terms of pricing they seem to have aimed it squarely at the Jeep Wrangler". I don't know what to say to you - as far as I'm concerned, Ineos are going after the original Defender sector...which includes the Wrangler. Although I would agree that the 4-door Grenadier is aimed at a particular market, I don't feel there is any way that you can say that the 2 door at £48,000 and the Wrangler are "completely different vehicles"!

But each to his own.

Ineos aren't offering a 2 door version. It's a 5 door bodyshell with 2 seats, much like the New Defender hardtop and the old Discovery commercial. It has a 1 tonne payload and can tow 3.5 tonnes. I can't see why you'd think it's comparable with a 2 door Wrangler that the base model can only tow 1 tonne and has a payload of around half of that but as you say, each to their own.

As for going after the original Defender sector, I think that's true where the 110 and 130 are concerned. However, it always the 90 that was compared to the Wrangler as they're roughly similar in size, which is perhaps where the confusion lies?

Darren, as far as I'm aware they ARE offering a 2 door version - a 'van' (commercial)...
"The Grenadier will be available in a commercial specification – a two-door with effectively a van body, or as a five door, fully upholstered SUV. Pricing will range from about £45,000 for the two-door to about £60,000 for the ‘car’ version."
But apparently it's not a SWB, which I thought it was. Farmerben says (above) that the SWB will follow. So I still say that the SWB Grenadier will indeed be aimed at Wrangler buyers, even though, as you say, they offer differing capacities. Now left.

Last edited by What puddle? on 29th Sep 2021 6:42pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #923469 29th Sep 2021 6:37pm
Supacat

ChasingOurTrunks wrote:

This is how I see it:

What puddle? wrote:
Yes, that's how I see it!

No it isn't Rolling Eyes

This is what you said:

What puddle? wrote:
Cheapest Jeep Wrangler...
£42,000
Tried, tested, known.

And why derail a thread all about the recently announced pricing (and some other new things) when you have your very own thread for this separate debate:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic78547.html

What puddle? wrote:
Darren, as far as I'm aware they ARE offering a 2 door version - a 'van' (commercial)...
"The Grenadier will be available in a commercial specification – a two-door with effectively a van body, or as a five door, fully upholstered SUV. Pricing will range from about £45,000 for the two-door to about £60,000 for the ‘car’ version."

If you are going to use" " to quote a separate source, it would be handy if you then provided a link?
Post #923470 29th Sep 2021 6:39pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Supacat, I'm certainly not going to get into a argument with you about it!

If you read back through my posts, you'll see that IS how I see it, that's why I said it. My post before this one says that I assumed the 2 door was a SWB (and LandRoverAnorak pointed out it isn't, it's a LWB) and Farmerben said the SWB is yet to come. I DO see the Grenadier aimed at the Wrangler. If that's wrongly, it's still my opinion.

I'm not out to derail any thread Rolling Eyes And neither would I claim any thread as my own! I just contribute to ones that take my eye - I assume Martin allows that. So please control your irascibility, thank you.

The link is:
https://www.wheels-alive.co.uk/ineos-grenadier-first-impressions/
Again, I didn't think we were under any requirement to provider sources as this isn't a science site.

I won't be adding any more. I don't come onto 4x4 sites to justify my thoughts, simply express them. Now left.
Post #923489 29th Sep 2021 7:35pm
ChasingOurTrunks

What puddle? wrote:
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
What puddle? wrote:

But each to his own.

As for going after the original Defender sector, I think that's true where the 110 and 130 are concerned. However, it always the 90 that was compared to the Wrangler as they're roughly similar in size, which is perhaps where the confusion lies?

But apparently it's not a SWB, which I thought it was. Farmerben says (above) that the SWB will follow. So I still say that the SWB Grenadier will indeed be aimed at Wrangler buyers, even though, as you say, they offer differing capacities.

Just a quick point of clarification:

What I heard is that they are offering the 5-door wagon and a pickup.

The wagon is coming in two configurations: A 5-seat wagon AND a 2-seat commercial variant.

I think there is some cross communication here between "Two seater" and "two door". There is 100% going to be a two-seater, but I've seen nothing from Ineos that suggests a two-door model.
Post #923509 29th Sep 2021 8:27pm
Supacat

Just to add to the confusion, the chap in the studio asked about more seats/seats in the back. I thought there was a negative reply but Autocar seemed very clear earlier in the month that a 7 seat variant on the double cab or longer wheelbase chassis was planned:

"As confirmed when Autocar drove the Grenadier for the first time earlier this year, the 4x4 model's family will be expanded with a pick-up truck (seen here) and a seven-seat passenger version, each using a longer (3175mm) wheelbase than the standard car."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-car...blic-roads

The chap who wanted to be tight lipped about future developments said that right around the time he said they would be bringing on future product in the same transparent open source manner they'd been using to date. Banging Head

Last edited by Supacat on 30th Sep 2021 10:17am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #923543 29th Sep 2021 10:26pm
zilch

Australia 
Supacat wrote:
But the Oz pricing comes out closer to the previous statements?
84, 500.00 AUD = 45, 257.26 GBP

If that is RRP, then you have to add another 10% GST and then stamp duty,

In NSW it would end up more like

RRP $84,500, GST $8450, Stamp duty $3,325 = $96,275 AUD =

51,566 of her majesties finest pounds, that is before vehicle registration costs of course.

The usual practice in Australia is to quote RRP minus on road costs and any government
levies.. nice marketing ploy to get you excited and then hit you with the real cost once you
want to go ahead, all manufacturers do this unless it specifies drive away price which is usually
for the cheaper end of town.

For non business and station wagon variants they will also get slugged with the luxury car tax,
so if you buy the commercial for non business use then GST and Luxury car tax will apply
which would add approx another $8210 to the price, so you are now in the $104.5K for the 2 seater commercial

Someone has to pay for those new shiny submarines the Aussie government is about to order

p.s edited as per COT's comment yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport

Last edited by zilch on 30th Sep 2021 7:27am. Edited 5 times in total
Post #923554 30th Sep 2021 12:22am
stng110

Australia 
Those figures are getting pretty scary. A base Defender is actually less.
Post #923555 30th Sep 2021 12:38am
zilch

Australia 
stng110 wrote:
Those figures are getting pretty scary. A base Defender is actually less.

it will be interesting to see the actual pricing regime for the 4/5 seat station wagons, it looks like the
UK/Aus pricing when you include GST/VAT are around the same for business use

A base P300 drive away in NSW is $85K, so i may have made many assumptions on whether
Ineos have or may not have included government levies.. time will tell

edit/update, confirmation in a further article that they start from $84.5K plus on roads in Australia,
so mid $90' Ks for business and $104K for non business

https://www.news.com.au/technology/motorin...bf0ddb3d18 yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport

Last edited by zilch on 30th Sep 2021 7:29am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #923557 30th Sep 2021 12:44am
ChasingOurTrunks

Just a quick point of clarification:

What I heard is that they are offering the 5-door wagon and a pickup.

The wagon is coming in two configurations: A 5-seat wagon AND a 2-seat commercial variant.

I think there is some cross communication here between "Two seater" and "two door". There is 100% going to be a two-seater, but I've seen nothing from Ineos that suggests a two-door model.[/quote]

I am wrong in the above.

There is a 2-door version for the Australian market according to Andrew St. Pierre White (4XOverland). Just watched his vid and he has images of the two door doing it’s thing in snow.
Post #923560 30th Sep 2021 1:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>