↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2.4 TDCI power issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
Where about in London are you?

I have a reld kit so might be able to drop by. I could also bring a nanocom so could take a live reading of temp when driving.

Feel free to dm me Thumbs Up
Post #921949 19th Sep 2021 8:22am
Rivarama

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
Thank you so much for the kind offer, I just PMd you
Post #921959 19th Sep 2021 9:14am
Rivarama

Quick update, Greyman stopped by to look at my car yesterday; top bloke !!

We tested for combustion leak, and I am happy to report that I don’t have a leaking head gasket! (Pfew).

We then plugged the nanocom to the car and read 4 fault (see pics below) - the injector fault is due to the injectors being removed a couple of weeks ago for a clean up and for the seals to be changed (as 2 seals were shot and were leaking).

Do you think any of the faults below could be the cause of losing power on the motorway in 6th gear?

Post #922296 22nd Sep 2021 6:59am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
With the turbo still fitted in situ, disconnect the VNT actuator rod from the electronic actuator box as shown in the video below (be VERY careful not to lose the c clip)

Operate the rod by hand back and forth, does it feel smooth/free or stiff/notchy/grindy?

If smooth and free then chances are everything is ok.

If stiff/grindy then your VNT vanes are coked up - see if you can free it up by going back and forth plenty of times and put a can of Wynns Turbo Cleaner through the intake with the engine running. For £10 it's worth a go before you get into anything more arduous.

Do you do a lot of short trips? Is your EGR open or mapped closed/blanked?

> 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #922349 22nd Sep 2021 1:49pm
Rivarama

Thanks a lot for the video. I will try this today after work.

I have already poured some Forte Diesel turbo cleaner in the tank, and also emptied that Wynns turbo cleaner in the intake as per the instructions... hasn't made much of a difference in terms of power (engine still feels sluggish), but I haven't yet experienced the power loss as described earlier yet. For that, I need to take it on the motorway for more than 15/20min. So will do that later this week and report back.

To answer your question, I do not know if my EGR is open / closed as I just bought the car. Given that the car is low miles (46k) and absolutely stock, I assume the previous owners haven't done anything to it. So most likely open.

As an aside, I did pull both MAF and MAP sensors and they were quite dirty... especially the MAP sensor that was fully of carbonised gunk... I have just ordered 2 replacement sensors that I am expecting by this week end,
Post #922351 22nd Sep 2021 2:00pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
When you turn the engine off do you hear a "chugger chugger chugger" noise? If so this is an indication that the EGR is still operational.

Interesting that the MAF was dirty as it is on the "clean" side of the intake just after the air filter.

Quite often the PCV blows off oily vapours back into the intake system via the pipe from rear left corner of rocker cover to the intake just before the turbo. This can gum things up, as can the muck that the EGR valve recycles into the inlet > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #922371 22nd Sep 2021 3:51pm
Rivarama

Thanks for your post Hank.

I did try to move the actuator rod (after removing the C clip carefully Wink and although it is not the smoothest, I could move it very easily from top to bottom without much problem.

As for the sensor, to be fair the MAAF sensor was only covered with dust and looked a little sad. The MAP sensor was the one gunked up completely. I should get the replacement tomorrow and will see whether it makes a difference

Update to follow
Post #922462 23rd Sep 2021 1:19pm
Rivarama

hank wrote:
When you turn the engine off do you hear a "chugger chugger chugger" noise? If so this is an indication that the EGR is still operational.

Yes I can hear a "chugger chugger chugger" for about 1 sec - so does it means my EGR is working as it should and I can rule out a malfunction?
Post #922486 23rd Sep 2021 5:18pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Having had similar symptoms, but with no error codes on my IIDTool... I first replaced VCV (with a Denso one) which had a slightly beneficial effect, then cleaned the MAF, which again seemed to help, but the Defender was still not as good as it should be.

Car is a 2.4 TDCI, ~54k miles, 10 years old (birthday was last Saturday Smile)

At this point I suspected "diesel bug", and drained a bit off the fuel filter, but it was clean.

Yesterday I removed the MAP sensor (2 min job), gave it a good dousing with "contact cleaner". It was very dirty.

Result! The Defender pulls like a train, best it's felt in years! Did 100 miles last night (had to collect something from Preston) and it's really feeling good, smooth and powerful!

If you haven't done it, maybe worth cleaning the MAP. I'm sure my VCV was on it's way out anyway, the MAF was filthy, as was the MAP. Cleaning is cheap, quick and easy, so definitely worth doing if you have not yet done so. An £8 aerosol of Comma Contact Cleaner from Halfrauds is the only cost.

I've already ordered a MAF, but I'm now ordering a spare MAP too, just to be sure! Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #922555 24th Sep 2021 4:37am
Rivarama

I have just received a new MAF & MAP sensors and will install them tomorrow and see whether I can feel any improvement.
I have also gone through a bottle of Forte turbo cleaner and sprayed a can of Wynn turbo cleaner in the air intake.
EGR seems to be working fine.
The turbo and actuators seem to be working fine (boost pipes are getting hard and the actuator rod is moving freely)

Next step will be to change the VCV if the new MAF&MAP don’t sort the issue out.

Did you go through the learning set up when you installed the VCV? If so, how is it done without any proper diagnostic equipment?
Post #922901 26th Sep 2021 8:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You don’t need to do a relearn with the VCV.

You can if you want though but eventually it’ll relearn itself anyway. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #922907 26th Sep 2021 9:29pm
Rivarama

Alright - so I installed the new MAF and MAP sensors and went for a 50miles motorway drive… I haven’t experienced any loss of power.
Have I fixed the issue? Who knows let’s see if it’s gone for good.

On the flip side, I still don’t seem to get much power anyway… hard to reach 70mph in 6th gear when the road isn’t flat or downhill… def something going on.
Post #923936 1st Oct 2021 5:52pm
ScottL

Ireland 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Baltic Blue
Did you get to the bottom of this problem Rivarama? I'm having the same issue at the moment
Post #926432 19th Oct 2021 8:48pm
Rivarama

Hi guys,
Quick update on the issue…
As a quick recap, I changed the MAF and MAP sensors, checked for head gasket leak with the RELD kit… all good - pfew ! So no head gasket leak.
I have also poured a couple of diesel additive to clear the turbo.
I also changed the Pressure Release Valve on the fuel rail as there was a slight weep - all dry now.
The car seems to be working OK mostly, but it still doesn’t have much power. I am still struggling to get to 70mph… and forget it when it’s going uphill.
The turbo pressure seems to be OK but there absolutely no power.
There’s an underboost error code in the ECU that keeps on coming back… could it be a problem w the turbo - despite the pressure being around 120/130 under full load?
I am so confused?!
Post #930548 21st Nov 2021 1:06am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Is the turbo actuator sticking?

How old is the VCV? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #930592 21st Nov 2021 3:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>