↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > JD Power 2020, 2021 & 2022 Studies
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
I wonder why two VAG brands perform so differently - Porsche at the top and Audi well down the list. Most magazine itemsI read about Audi’s state how well they are assembled and how nice the interiors are. Seems that customers maybe think differently about Audi interiors and driving experience.

I think this recent TG review sums it up nicely :

"Let’s be honest here, people buy large SUVs because there’s a sense of power and control with a big car. They also need something that can cope with their maximum capacity needs, even if the day-to-day requires something more modest. The strange thing here is that the Audi Q7 is a brilliant points-scorer of a car that somehow manages to feel quite bloodless. A full-size SUV for those that don’t really mind what car they have as long as it has all the usual Audi attributes.

The Defender, on the other hand, is empirically less capable, and yet possessed of a self-assurance and character that makes it impossible to resist. The sense of purpose, ruggedness, general machismo and rounded capability – it’s all awfully obvious and yet genuinely attractive. There’s not a bad car here, but if you want a winner, the Land Rover Defender walks it."

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads...4_16092021
Post #921778 17th Sep 2021 7:07am
oop north

United Kingdom 
The US 2021 initial quality study interests me. I always wonder what the scores mean in reliability surveys. The faults per 100 vehicles seems clear (though some faults will of course be worse than others). What I find interesting is that the average number of faults per vehicle for Land Rover is less than one more than Lexus. Viewed in those terms (and I am not sure what is meant by “fault”) the land rovers aren’t so bad?
Post #921807 17th Sep 2021 12:34pm
Supacat

JD Power 2021 US Sales Satisfaction Index (SSI) Study
Last year LR were in the same place, 4th from the bottom with a score of 800; so they have dropped 4 points on the scale.

"Overall sales satisfaction remains at 789 points (on a 1,000-point scale). Satisfaction among dealers where buyers purchased their vehicle increases 2 points to 841, while satisfaction with rejected dealers declines 6 points to 632."

Click image to enlarge

"Now in its 36th year, the U.S. Sales Satisfaction Index (SSI) Study measures satisfaction with the sales experience among new-vehicle buyers and rejecters (those who shop a dealership and purchase elsewhere).

Buyer satisfaction is based on six factors (in order of importance):
delivery process (28%);
dealer personnel (21%);
working out the deal (19%);
paperwork completion (19%);
dealership facility (10%); and
dealership website (4%).

Rejecter satisfaction is based on five factors:
salesperson (40%);
price (23%);
facility (15%);
variety of inventory (12%); and
negotiation (10%).

The 2021 U.S. Sales Satisfaction Index (SSI) Study is based on responses from 35,387 buyers who
purchased or leased their new vehicle from March through May 2021. The study is a comprehensive analysis of the new-vehicle purchase experience and measures customer satisfaction with the selling dealer (satisfaction among buyers).

The study also measures satisfaction with brands and dealerships that were shopped but ultimately rejected in favor of the selling dealership (satisfaction among rejecters). The study was fielded from July through September 2021."

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-rel...-ssi-study
Post #929468 12th Nov 2021 8:15am
Supacat

JD Power 2022 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS)
Land Rover in same position as 2020 - last (220), 2021 - last (244) but this year with an increase in faults to 284.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Source: J.D. Power. *Brands are listed in order from fewest problems reported to most. The number after the brand name is how many problems per 100 vehicles were reported.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-rel...lity-study

"The J.D. Power U.S. Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS) focuses on problems experienced by original owners of 3-year-old vehicles. Study findings are used extensively by manufacturers worldwide to help them design and build better vehicles—which typically retain higher resale value—and by consumers to help them make more informed choices for both new and used vehicles.

The study covers 184 specific problem areas across nine major vehicle categories:

Exterior
Driving Experience
Features/Controls/Displays (FCD)
Driving Assistance
Infotainment
Seats
Climate
Interior
Powertrain

The 2022 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from 29,487 original owners of 2019 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded from July 2021 through November 2021."

https://www.jdpower.com/business/automotiv...lity-study
Post #942029 11th Feb 2022 6:27am
Kiter25

Scotland 
Yawn..........I really couldn't give a stuff, have enjoyed every single land rover I have ever owned, faults and all.

Last edited by Kiter25 on 11th Feb 2022 6:32pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #942031 11th Feb 2022 8:08am
J77

Scotland 
Where’s the UK figures?

As the above post, I don’t take much notice of it. This is my 11th LR, had a couple of issues but nothing that’s caused me to move brands. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #942048 11th Feb 2022 10:59am
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
This is my third LR: no main problems, except for a faultive turbo on the Freelander 2.
After 4 months of Defdenr 110 ownership and >15000 km no issues at all. Thumbs Up 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #942052 11th Feb 2022 11:31am
lightning

United Kingdom 
We've had five Defenders, one from new.

Two breakdowns in around 200,000 miles
of driving.
One alternator failure on a fifteen year old 100,000 mile 90 and an ECU failure on a sixteen year old 136,000 mile 110.

The one we had from new gave no trouble in 8 years/45,000 miles.
My current 110 has broken down once (as above) in 80,000 miles.

l've got a new Defender 90 Commercial on order....l'm confident that it will be okay. l don't want a generic SUV, l want something that l will love. After all, it's costing me
£50,000 of my own money.
Post #942111 11th Feb 2022 11:08pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
These studies are pointless... I don't even see the point of them here

I've had every land rover except the velar

All great I think on about 15-20 new and about 4 second hand I don't recognise the survey Mike
Post #942124 12th Feb 2022 1:31am
Supacat

The current management at JLR take a different view and are trying to turn things around. They have openly talked about the JD Power studies and have accepted it as a positive metric to measure their real world progress/results.

That's why it's here, but good to know that the Forum still has it's own contingent from the Flat Earth Society.

"Jaguar Land Rover loses more than 100,000 sales annually due to customer perception of quality issues with its models, CEO Thierry Bollore said"

"The dissatisfaction of our customers was really detrimental to our natural volume. The missed opportunities today are massive. It's more than 100,000 healthy sales that we could perform," Bollore commented.

Both Jaguar and Land Rover were in the five worst-performing brands in J.D. Power’s most recent quality survey in the United States. Bollore said he is focussing his efforts on improving the quality and the first signs look quite positive. The executive told investors on a call on Friday that customer dissatisfaction is at “record low” levels for 2021 models.

"We are reducing the complexity of our vehicles massively. The result will be that fewer things going wrong because the process will not be as complex," Bollore commented.

https://www.motor1.com/news/491922/jaguar-...ty-issues/
Post #942127 12th Feb 2022 6:49am
Supacat

mse wrote:
I don't even see the point of them here

Is that in the same way you tried to put down/stifle any posts from people experienceing issues with SOTA and then went silent when the JLR documents were posted saying they had SOTA issues.

It's come to something on a Forum for sharing information when you appear to put JLR's "reputation" above that of helping fellow owners.
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic81090...p;start=75
Post #942128 12th Feb 2022 6:58am
mse

Well that’s rubbish

I’m not going to sign up to a narrow minded external guesstimating from an armchair observer on JLR, like you. I enjoy the products I have and recognise a British employer and the world situation.

Ive been here longer than you, helping people, which incidentally your posts don’t, being more focused to bashing than supporting, I probably with better access to reality than you who just access topix which I also have Thumbs Up

Regarding sota issues again your wrong. I was one of the first to get v3 but also moaned about not getting it for months on the defender and even it rolling back an update. I had a connectivity module issue ages ago which I referenced here. So another example of your factual errors

I also don’t live on here, or scrutinise JLR as a hobby, like you, but In the post you refer I wasn’t commenting on sota delays just correcting your error on the roll out…which is different to the time it takes to get

Keep deluding yourself on jd power if it keeps you happy, doesn’t bother be but there needs to be balance, especially when hate is spread… Do you even own a land rover newer than the 1950s design? Mike
Post #942179 12th Feb 2022 4:14pm
mse

And reference to my post on jd power, I have never considered a car based on that or the usually negative internet.

I don’t see the point, I can see how it’s fundamentally flawed with no bearing on anything Mike
Post #942181 12th Feb 2022 4:16pm
Supacat

mse wrote:
And reference to my post on jd power...I don’t see the point, I can see how it’s fundamentally flawed with no bearing on anything

You need to tell your boss at the company and maybe he can have a word upwards and get it removed from the Annual Reports & other Corporate releases?

From my point of view the fact that the new management have started talking publically about these reports again, after the dark years of Speth and Project Icarus, and focussing the business on moving the company up these charts is a HUGE positive for the company.

You seem to be stuck in the Speth age, when all these issues were all brushed under the carpet.

"JAGUAR IS NUMBER ONE IN JD POWER’S 2012 AND 2013 SATISFACTION SURVEYS
Jaguar is the UK’s top automotive brand for the second consecutive year. Data for the 2013 Vehicle Ownership Satisfaction Survey (VOSS), which considers the opinions of over 16,000 UK car owners who rate 116 car models from 28 brands, was analysed by J.D. Power and Associates in partnership with buying guide What Car?, who together identified Jaguar as Best Brand in the UK for the second successive year."

"1st Place was awarded to Jaguar for the second year running in the ‘Best Brand’ sector of the J.D. Power and Associates/What Car? 2013 UK owners survey."

Click image to enlarge

(JLR Annual Report 2012-13)

"J.D. POWER SALES SATISFACTION INDEX STUDY
Jaguar received the honour of the highest ranking nameplate among luxury brands according to the J.D. Power 2013 US Sales Satisfaction Index Study."

RANGE ROVER J.D. POWER APEAL
Range Rover achieved the Highest Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) score
of any model in the J.D. Power 2013 APEAL survey – the first time a model outside the large premium car segment has ranked highest among all models in the industry."

"in 2011 and 2012 respectively Land Rover and Jaguar were ranked the most improved brands. In the J.D. Power and Associates APEAL Study ranking of nameplates in the United States and the Range Rover scored the highest model score in the 2013 survey."
(JLR Annual Report 2013-14)

"In the US both Jaguar and Land Rover ranked in the top five of the J.D. Power Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study"

"Jaguar was recognised as the highest achieving automotive luxury brand in the Customer Satisfaction Study and ranked second in the Initial Quality Study as well as being named as the number one automotive brand by What Car?/J.D. Power for the third consecutive year"

"Jaguar was also named the number one automotive brand in the UK by the 2014 What Car? J.D. Power survey for the third successive year."

"the 2015 J.D. Power CS I study recognised the Jaguar brand as the highest achieving automotive luxury brand in the United States for customer satisfaction with retailer service for vehicle maintenance and repair."
(JLR Annual Report 2014-15)

"The Company continues to improve quality, achieving 1st place in the J.D.Power US APEAL study and most improved in the most recent JD Power US Initial Quality Study, with the Jaguar brand achieving 5th place overall in the premium segment"
(JLR Interim Report For the three and six-month period ended 30 September 2021)

Click image to enlarge

(JLR Results presentation for Q2 2022)

"The quality pillar of the programme is seeing good progress, Jaguar Land Rover took 1st place in the J.D. Power US APEAL study and was most improved in the recent J.D. Power US Initial Quality Study."
(JLR FY22 Press Release for Q2)
Post #942292 13th Feb 2022 11:20am
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
From a user on another LR forum:

Quote:
These studies are legitimate and we have to pay a lot for them (JD Power isn't cheap) but the results are often misunderstood and the data not analyzed in detail. VDS does not distinguish between the types of problems. A bluetooth failure to connect with your new iPhone dings us the same as someone with a popped radiator.

Land Rover actually did well on the important stuff- engine, transmission, suspension, etc. However, the infotainment system was a mess driven by poor early software. The good news is it's not a permanent fault or a hardware design issues- just sloppy and underdeveloped software. We build everything in-house unlike a lot of other OEM's and this has its upsides and downsides.

In honesty- if you're looking to get a better sense of what's good and bad as a member of the public you'd do better with Consumer Reports. Most of you will never see the true VDS data and details (which would probably be embarrassing for some of the "reliable" OEM's).
 https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #942294 13th Feb 2022 11:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123