↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > JD Power 2020, 2021 & 2022 Studies
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
We had a diesel Brera. The most beautiful car to look at. Sounded like a tractor. 6 months after swapping it the garage had it back in from the new owner having the engine rebuilt.... https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #890868 12th Mar 2021 6:57am
deaston

United Kingdom 
discomog wrote:
We don't drive them because they are reliable, we drive them because we like them

This is so true. A few years ago (after having a bad experience with an Evoque and a Range Rover dealership and vowing to never again buy a Land Rover) I looked at EVERY car out there. Over about three months I test drove loads of cars and bought... a Range Rover Sport.

There's nothing like LRs and, if you like them, you like them. No reliability survey will change that.
Post #890876 12th Mar 2021 8:41am
Hwalker164

Australia 
Grenadier wrote:
If you had to choose just one brand that has a reputation for reliability as bad as LR, Alfa, gorgeous though they are, would be it. Swiftly followed by Lancia. In fact I’d suggest that Alfa are arguably the Italian version of JLR, a mix of ‘aspirationally premium’ sports saloons and SUVs that look fab, handle well, offer a statement as being distinctly un-German, but don’t quite back up the ‘premium’ image in terms of QC and reliability.

I can speak from experience of all 3 makes (Current owner of both Alfa Romeo and Landrover) and owned a Lancia Thema when i lived in Holland, Alfa romeo and Lancia never had the serious quality and design flaws that are or were present in some of the Landrovers. I mean the sheer amount of recalls of Landrovers amazes me sometimes. The Crankshaft issue on the TDV6 is a classic one.
Post #890882 12th Mar 2021 9:26am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Perhaps Landrover could learn an advertising trick from the makers of Anadin in the old days ("Nothing acts faster than Anadin", eveyone knew the slogan because of the play on words).

"No other vehicle has the reliability of a Landrover"
Post #890885 12th Mar 2021 9:41am
deaston

United Kingdom 
I don't get the play on words. "Nothing acts faster than Anadin" seems pretty clear.

Edit - I get it now.
Post #890903 12th Mar 2021 10:47am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
blackwolf wrote:
Perhaps Landrover could learn an advertising trick from the makers of Anadin in the old days ("Nothing acts faster than Anadin", eveyone knew the slogan because of the play on words).

"No other vehicle has the reliability of a Landrover"

I’m as good a driver as Sterling Moss (because I’ve also won no World Championships) Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #890949 12th Mar 2021 2:42pm
Theo98

United States 
Ouch...rock bottom. Actually I, like the rest of you, would have probably guessed that. I am so loyal to the brand but it is uncanny LR can't seem to get out of the weeds with some of their historical problems. I love my Defender but I have to admit that it almost always takes 2-3 minutes after start up to get my touchscreen to engage and my voice commands for me are working about 75% of the time. Its a bit difficult to swallow given the cost. But they are so great anyway aren't they?? 2020 P400 HSE 110 Tasman Blue/ White Roof
Post #890995 12th Mar 2021 7:02pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
JD Power 2021 Initial Quality Study (IQS)
Last year LR were in last place with 228 problems per 100 vehicles, so they have climbed a few places relatively and also improved their score absolutely, although the industry average has also dropped.

Click image to enlarge

"New-vehicle quality improves 2% from 2020, according to the J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS),SM released today. This is slightly lower than the average rate of improvement (3%) seen during the past decade. Infotainment systems are the primary area preventing faster improvement, remaining the most problematic area for new-vehicle owners.

“Owners are caught in the middle when vehicle and phone technologies don’t properly connect,” said Dave Sargent, vice president of automotive quality at J.D. Power. “This year there are many examples of smartphone technology not working as intended in new vehicles. With more vehicles being fitted with the wireless technology owners want, the study reveals an increase in connectivity problems between smartphones and vehicles, leaving many owners unhappy.”

Initial quality is measured by the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100) during the first 90 days of ownership, with a lower score reflecting higher quality. The industry average of 162 PP100 is 4 PP100 better than in 2020, with 20 of 32 brands improving their quality from 2020."

" The 2021 U.S. Initial Quality Study, now in its 35th year, is based on responses from 110,827 purchasers and lessees of new 2021 model-year vehicles who were surveyed early in the ownership period. The study is based on a 223-question battery organized into nine vehicle categories (infotainment; features, controls and displays; exterior; driving assistance; interior; powertrain; seats; driving experience; and climate) designed to provide manufacturers with information to facilitate the identification of problems and drive product improvement. The study was fielded from February through July 2021."

No place on the podium for JLR:

Click image to enlarge

No award for Nitra (or any other JLR plant) b

Click image to enlarge

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-rel...-study-iqs
Post #919461 1st Sep 2021 6:49am
stng110

Australia 
Interesting. So marginally worse than Merc, Mazda and better than Volvo.

And we all know that they are more complex than Toyota’s and Honda’s so seems about right. Happy to own one.
Post #919478 1st Sep 2021 9:31am
Tim in Scotland

Good to know that my New Defender is likely to have fewer faults per hundred than the supposedly hewn from rock Audi!
2 years ago my sister and brother-in-law bought an Audi Q5 to replace a 300,000 mile faultless RRS, 3 replacement cars later they got their money back plus some compensation and went out and bought an ex-demo Discovery Sport HSE that hasn’t missed a beat. They also had problems a few years back with a BMW M3 special order car with electronics problems, they won’t be returning to them either despite having owned a few BM’s before the problem one. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #919494 1st Sep 2021 1:03pm
J77

Scotland 
My 90 has been fine mostly, it’s just daft niggles that LR just can’t seem to iron out of their products. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #919499 1st Sep 2021 1:09pm
Supacat

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Good to know that my New Defender is likely to have fewer faults per hundred than the supposedly hewn from rock Audi!

It would be good to know that - but I think that's a tier of information down that's not made available FoC.

Whilst Audi rank as lowly as they do; they also came 2nd in the Small Premium SUV class with the Audi Q3 - behind the Lexus QX and just ahead of the Volvo XC40.
Post #919503 1st Sep 2021 1:37pm
Supacat

JD Power 2021 U.S. APEAL Study
Perhaps explains why LR can do so poorly in the other studies, yet manage to make sales.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

“The APEAL Study measures owners' emotional attachment to their new vehicle, and the product launches that took place this model year have done a really good job. Some are all-new and some are redesigns, but the new launches demonstrate that automakers are getting even better at hitting buyers' emotional triggers.”

The APEAL Study asks owners to consider 37 attributes, ranging from the sense of comfort they feel when climbing into the driver's seat to the exhilaration they get when they step on the accelerator. Vehicle owners' responses to queries about these attributes are aggregated to compute an overall APEAL index score measured on a 1,000-point scale.

The 2021 U.S. APEAL Study is based on responses from 110,827 owners of new 2021 model-year vehicles who were surveyed after 90 days of ownership. The study was fielded from February through July 2021.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/202...ower-Finds
Post #921668 15th Sep 2021 10:40pm
Tim in Scotland

I wonder why two VAG brands perform so differently - Porsche at the top and Audi well down the list. Most magazine itemsI read about Audi’s state how well they are assembled and how nice the interiors are. Seems that customers maybe think differently about Audi interiors and driving experience. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #921679 16th Sep 2021 8:16am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The problem with Audi’s is that they sell them for a premium……..and then a few years later rebadge them and sell them for less as a Skoda.

So the question is, pay more but get less, or pay less and get more

Hopefully that made sense…… Thumbs Up
Post #921734 16th Sep 2021 6:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>